Skip to content

Is there really any point playing Icewind Dale?

124»

Comments

• DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    alnair said:

DKnight said:

The only way I could play Icewind Dale 1 is if it came to Enhanced Edition and got an update.

Seconded! Also because Mac. Although I did start IWD a couple of times on Linux+Wine...
    DKnight said:

IWD2 while has improvements is boring.

I never went after party creation with that, 3E is not my cup of tea, but I'd like to try again sometime... let's hope BeamDog will EE the crap out of it too one day :)
    Enhanced Edition is just the best of everything with these games. First mac and other comps being able to play is excellent. Second, while the small things such as being able to display your damage range and other stuff-to me thats very useful as the only game that lists that is IWD2. Third, characters that are new like Dorn and Rasaad are so unique and awesome its made new possibilities for my party choices. Tutu was nice but it had a major bug for all my computers where the game would crash and I wouldn't allow save. That bug is fixed with EE.

Because of these features, a game that came out in 1998 still has even more replay ability than many of my new games.
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    Icewind Dale has decent art quality, some areas/dungeons are very atmospheric.

IWD has great music. Imho overall a much better directed theme, not just a mishmash drop a little of everything in like BGs.

Combat can be challening, often really unforgiving for pure mages and low hp characters.

I have played it through a few times, the same way I would not do reruns just after finishing BG, I wouldnt do it for IWD. But in a year or two, ceirtanly would play it again.

Forming your entire party also has its benefits, you can roleplay the way you want it. You can direct your own party dynamics, it is really just up to your imagination :D.

IWD is perfectly doable and fun with a party of 3-4! This really ups the sense of progression.

IWD2 is unfortunately much worse as for the game and level design, shame because the 3E allows some really amazing and fun character builds.
  • thexkthexk Member Posts: 1
    idk wth u guys r talking about. Icewind dale (the first one) was The shit. Epic battles.. BG was far more story driven, hence tons of never-ending-boring-dialogues. Ofc everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.. but whatever u say won't change my mind that IWD 1 was a far more entertaining game than any BG xD
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    :3
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Icewind Dale is what it is: a dungeon crawl. It's not as good as Baldur's Gate in terms of story, interaction, scope, exploration and immersion, but that doesn't mean it's not worth playing. By ruling out any game that doesn't have the same level of immersion as Baldur's Gate, you're severely limiting yourself.
  • dzidek1983dzidek1983 Member Posts: 5
    I dont get people saying IWD is bad or worse then BG. First its a different type of game. But both of them are in the "RPG" bag. Generally i do prefer IWD especially the first one (i hope they dont screw up the EE edition), why? Well... Mainly cos im not forced to drag along the same people fore ther 23454365 time and to choose should i keep Jan or maybe Imoen after the Spellhold. Why people create NPC mods in abundance for BG2 and there is 1 i think for IWD. Cos people are bored wit hthe same interactions over and over again. I'm not saying that those are bad in general. But BG leaves you little space for customization of your party, especially BG2. IWD has no problems like that, it starts like a classic RPG, a bunch of guys/girls in a tavern ready to go on adventure. You want cleric, you make one, you want 3 druids, go ahead, a halfling war party, be my guest. If IWD1 had the race class variety of the other games it would be my favourite (so i hope EE gets the job done properly).
    As for the sorty. Well i think in IWD its more proper. Think about. you are hired to do some certain stuff and you do it focused on the goal with some minor stuff on the side but not taking your mind from the big stuff. Now especially BG2, how the hell your friend Imoen is your target for the 1st part of your game and instead of going to Spellhold you go around cleaning Druid Grooves, Killing Beholders or freeing a Castel from Troll invasion. She is there maybe dying, she needs your help... and you go for gold and glory. Well thats so nice form you to help her in the first place. But hey.. you have freedom...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2014
    @Quartz's endorsement of IWD has me contemplating a "Let the Fates Decide" type of roleplayed/journaled run for the game. This might be particularly immersive because I didn't even get that far when I tried playing the game over a dozen years ago. Ingredients of the "Fates" approach are:
    • All party members are roleplayed and have their own individual motivations, reactions, and behaviors. In my games I use journaling to develop this most fully. It results in fictionalized interrelationships within the party. The journal becomes a fanfic novella, basically.
    • Avoid meta-gaming wherever possible (no problem here). Decisions and actions are based on what characters know (or can reasonably surmise) of their world--not what the player knows about the game.
    • Some decisions or behaviors are left to chance using a card flip for yes (red suit) vs. no (black suit), and WotC die roller for more than two possible outcomes. This is done either just for fun value or because the player isn't quite sure what the character would do in a given situation.
    • Minimal reolad, i.e, reload only when CHARNAME dies, because of technical glitch, or when using a game editor to try something creative that is roleplay driven.
    So the question I pose to those familiar with IWD: Does IWD offer enough of a main story plus side quests to have a satisfying experience of a "Fates" game?
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Lemernis said:

So the question I pose to those familiar with IWD: Does IWD offer enough of a main story plus side quests to have a satisfying experience of a "Fates" game?

I'm gonna go with a corny answer here. And that is, I can't speak for you. Personally, I can role-play Icewind Dale better than the Baldur's Gate saga, because a more blank slate allows my imagination to roam a little more. But that's just me.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I would agree with Quartz. The IWD franchise have fairly epic main stories in that you're a group of six or less fighting against impossible odds and defeating threats that would make even CHARNAME from BG go "daaaaaayuuumn," and several of the side quests, while fewer in number, are a bit more variable in how you solve them than BG's. For instance, the quest with the halfling in the Kuldahar inn has multiple resolutions, class-specific dialogue, and a genuine sense of morality coming into play.

So, yeah, a Let The Fates Decide format is arguably more rewarding in IWD and IWD2.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    IWD is a great game. And once i have money to buy the enhanced edition i will do so. It was damn hard and i never made it to the end so it´s perfect for me... i dont know the ending :)
  • CoryCory Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    I recently purchased IWD EE for the iPad. I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed it, and have been hooked since I got it. As expected, there are some issues with playing on a tablet, such as difficulty with targeting enemies, laggy gameplay when certain AoE spells with long durations are cast, and random crashes. None of which really detract too much from the game-play, since I quick-save after pretty much every fight anyway.

When I was younger I had both the original IWD and BG2. At that time I enjoyed BG2 much more, due to the more main character driven story line, and larger pool of sub-classes, especially after the expansion. I created a character of every class, simply to complete the "Hold" quests, specific to each one. While the lack of a main character driven story line still exists in the IWD EE, many of the improvements made, make it a much more enjoyable game.

The EE does include the majority of the commonly accepted sub-classes, and the full-party creation system gives you a freedom of play, that is sorely lacking in BG2. In addition, the combat in IWD EE doesn't "pigeon hole" some of your classes like BG2 does. If memory serves, a vast majority of the enemy mages in BG2, always had at least Protection from Missiles and spell shield in an Uber form of Spell Sequencer, that was always cast at the beginning of the fight. This forced your mage to always have Breach and Dispel Magic (or some other version of these spells) memorized. This always frustrated me, because the only decent option, IMO, for a mage was either to make your character one, or pick up Edwin. This was always an issue for me, because Edwin is evil, and I had to listen to him complain the whole time, because everyone else in my party was either good or neutral. An element that isn't present in IWD EE. The one thing I will say I don't like about mages in IWD EE is that the penaties to specialty mages seems worse then in other versions of the game.

EDIT: I double checked and in BG2 the opposition school to Conjuration is Divination, and in IWD EE it is Evocation. This is a huge disadvantage for Mages in IWD EE, because Divination is the only school really worth giving up for the bonus spells, besides enchantment/charm for the extra resistance to Evocation spells.

As far as the story line is concerned, the lack of inter-party communication doesn't really bother me. I enjoy using my imagination to make up for this. The main story line is enjoyable, though not totally engrossing. Combat is great, and the freedom, and diversity of ways to handle each encounter is enjoyable. Overall I'd say IWD EE is definitely worth the $10, and at least 1 play through.

For anyone who is interested my party is as follows:

Mage
    Ranger: Archer
    Druid: Shapeshifter
    Bard: Skald
    Paladin: Cavalier
    Fighter/ Thief

The druid( in werewolf form) makes for a great front-line fighter, and definitely makes up for the lack of damage from your Mage and Paladin at low levels. The ranger also puts out great ranged damage, and with HiS, is able to eliminate many smaller enemies 1-by-1, rather then having to fight a whole room. The bard is purely for stat increases, because I find that trying to get more then 2 or 3 melee characters on the same target becomes tedious, and the buff to rolls and damage makes up for not having an extra character attacking. It is also extremely useful early game, when you may not have many magical weapons, and encounter creatures that require them to hit.
    Post edited by Cory on
  • GildeshGildesh Member Posts: 1
    There is lot more point in playing Icewind Dale series than Baldur's Gate series.
    1) Icewind Dale's story is much tighter does not get lost in too many useless sidequests.
    2) Decisions are fewer but matter as much as they do in Baldurs Gate.
    3) Locations are atmospheric, different and have importance. Baldurs Gate (both games) have too many useless locations which are good for a particular type of experience, but not for roleplaying. Kinda like Dragon Age Inquisition.
    4) Music in Icewind Dale is much more haunting and thematic than Baldurs Gate. BG music is probably one of the worst part of its gaming experience.
    5) Voice acting, writing is of much higher quality. Kresselack, Marilith, Drow wizard, twin halflngs, white dragon and barbarians all give a mysterious, thematic vibe. Baldur's Gate has too much poorly written, childish text to read without much context. Great for wasting time tranquilly but not for a good roleplaying experience.
    6) Combat is much harder tactically (which is more fun) with much lesser equipment and spells. BG combat is too simplistic while BG2 is too complex. Icewind Dale 1 and 2 strike the right balance with not OP spells and abilities but not being too weak with nothing but oils and wands doing the trick.
    7) Sequential progression in location diversity. Icewind Dale transports you to progressively hotter or colder regions in predictable sequences. BG and BG2 locations are random and have no immediate connection to the ones which have gone before them. Trademeet is a random jungle city at the edge, windspear is a far off district with no backstory, dearnise keep is another random fief within athkatla.
    In BG1, too many random woodlands to provide any "epic" feel.
    8) Unfolding of lore. Both BG and IWD did great here but BG2 failed miserably. In IWD for eg, we progress from wolves and goblins/orcs to skeletons, zombies and wraiths, then to lizardmen, yuan ti and purebloods, then to shades, drow and giants with eventually culminating in demons. BG2 has mishmash of monsters appearing in random locations without providing any anticipatory warning or backstory. Beholders pop up, Dragons appear suddenly, Liches wake up from slumbers randomly without providing any real motivation to hunt for them.