Skip to content

Star Wars...

rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
just found this on the BBC site...not quite sure what to think...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Good on him. He made some great films but why hoard assets that he doesn't want anymore.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited October 2012
    @Moomintroll
    i agree & am almost glad he's divorced himself from the series...
    episodes IV-VI are classic-Lucas' revisionist approach to them w/ regards to home theater, not so much...Episode I is the only movie i missed on the big screen & i don't regret having missed it...II & III weren't terrible, but i didn't enjoy them enough to buy them for myself...

that being said, i'm not sure i have faith in Disney to live up to Episodes IV-VI...

part of me thinks it's great there will be more Star Wars stuff out there, part of me thinks what has just happened it terrible...
    this picture is part of my fear...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151221125586037&set=a.373508241036.153666.338028696036&type=1&theater
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2012
    The only part of Episodes I-III I can say I actually enjoyed was the "Lord Vader... rise" scene.
    @minevese...the only good memories i walked away from episodes II & III were Yoda fighting w/ a lightsaber & Princess Amidala's semi-bared midriff...sad...

@Gonglez_P_I i hope you are right
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Episode III was pretty good, but I and II had way too much cheesy CGI and Jar-Jar Binks. I hope Disney doesn't Disneyfy it - i.e., too much production, not enough direction, like the rest of their flicks.
    @Miloch
    song & dance numbers?
    imagine Jar-Jar singing & dancing w/ Annie
  • Gonglez_P_IGonglez_P_I Member Posts: 14
    Sigh... the only thing I remember about Episode III was killing jedi kids (these are kid movies, that's what George Lucas said right?), and a 30 minute dume choeographed fight scene among some stupid lava planet in which nothing happened.

Oh and the infamous Darth Vader whine "Noooooooooo!"

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Frankly, I'm glad that George Lucas will be able to step out of the command chair on this. Star Wars was a great idea, but I think it went to his head a bit. As tragic as it is to see Disney acquiring yet another studio, it really can't be anything worse than what we saw with Episodes 1 through III.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I personally think this is great news.

1) Star Wars themed stuff at Disney World.
    2) More Star Wars movies, meaning either we get Shadows of the Empire: The Movie (OMFG I WANT) or something dealing with the extended universe novels (ALSO DO WANT).
    3) Different leadership means different goals in their video game departments, because let's be honest. There hasn't been a good Star Wars game since Battlefront 2.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2012
    Yea I don't see any evidence that Disney will make future movies in the genre even remotely on the same calibre as the episodes 4-6. I just see any future movie as being much more kid-friendly and much less gritty than the original series was at times. Considering they can pretty well ignore the written material out there that follows storylines after the movies, it will be interesting to see how they end up handling the series regardless of what they end up coming out with.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I don't know what to think about this (I mean it is wrong or not). I doubt, thought, that old trilogy fan(boy)s would be satisfacted with new episodes made by Disney. Hell, I doubt that even me, while enjoying almost every Star Wars movie, will be OK with Disney's films. See, most of recent Disney's productions are at least BAD. Disney isn't awesome like it used to be years ago. Or maybe it's just me.

On the other hand, it was only matter of time that Lucas would allow anyone to make more Star Wars movies. He would not live forever, after all. Making franchise still alive and well is good thing.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I'm not seeing it as a bad thing. Disney bought Marvel and that got us The Avengers and an upcoming slew of superhero movies, all of which I'm greatly looking forward to. Star Wars has never been 18+ rated for course language and bloody violence so I don't think there'll be any difference with how Disney will treat it. It takes power away from the man who insisted on Jar Jar, midichlorians and the Anakin/Padme romance scenes. No, I'm not worried.

With the expanded universe now having done 30-40 years after Episode IV, I don't think they'll continue the storyline of Han, Luke, Leia, etc. Not only because the actors are old (and in Harrison Ford's case, too grumpy) but mostly because they can't expect fans to catch up with the immense (and for a large part ridiculous) amount of Expanded Universe content. Disney could ignore all of it, but I doubt they'd go against their own universe immediately after buying it.

Bigger chance; They'll portray a Star Wars story from a different angle, with different characters in a setting different from "Rebel leaders and jedi masters". This approach allows them to easily sidestep the problem with the expanded universe; have it play during any of the books/comics/whatever but on the sidelines of those plots. I wouldn't mind seeing a movie about some unknown nobody living his life on Dantooine when suddenly, the Imperial Remnant crashes on his planet and causes a ruckus, or whatever. Anything unrelated to the Solo or Skywalker family.
    Return of the Jar-Jar: Pirates of the Galactic Carribean (complete with pseudo-Jamaican alien accents).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Miloch That sounds awful enough to be interesting... I think I'd watch it :)
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    It might not be a bad idea for the movies to be either along the lines of the failed mmo(don't get me wrong i liked it) and go to the origins of the jedi/sith or make live action movies based on the cartoons on tv. I'm actually enjoying watching this show as it takes place(for those who don't know) somewhere between episode 2 and 3 i'd guess. Could be wrong with the specific timeframe as i tuned out most of the newer movies(1-3). But there was specific talk of it being episode 7?? never heard of it myself but that's what was said.

Feel free to correct me on what i said as i don't consider myself a "star wars" expert by any means though i thoroughly enjoyed the original movies.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited November 2012
    Miloch said:

I hope Disney doesn't Disneyfy it - i.e., too much production, not enough direction, like the rest of their flicks.

Did you guys know that the first movie released by Miramax after being sold to Disney was Pulp Fiction?

With that said, I'm gonna quote Zack Weinersmith over here: "Worrying that Disney will ruin Star Wars is like worrying that a second iceberg will dive down to hit the Titanic."

Just the fact that George Lucas won't be directing is reason to believe that the new movies just might not suck as hard as the prequels did.

I'm way more curious than excited to see where are they going with the story. I'm pretty sure that Luke, Han and Leia won't be back (except as cameos - something similar to Leonard Nimoy's role in the new Star Trek). Maybe we'll see a third generation of the Skywalker family. It'd make sense, at least. Artoo and Threepio will be there for sure. Maybe Chewbacca.
    edited November 2012
    Chewbacca is dead by Expanded Universe canon. A moon fell on him. Alas.

There's also already a line of comics/books about 120-130 years in the 'future', where a descendant of Luke is fighting a Tusken Sith Lord, so either they;
    1) Make the movies from the books (though the actors are v. old, Han Solo/Harrison Ford is 70 for instance)
    2) They put the movies in the current timeframe (which would suit the actor age but will be hopelessly confusing for somebody unfamiliar with the Expanded Universe)
    3) Put it in the far future (250 years+ and ignore history for a large part) or the far past (Old Republic movie? Hells yeah! But then naming it Episode 7 doesn't make sense because it doesn't follow chronology)
    or
    4) Create new characters unrelated to the main cast and have them go through the impact of the fall of the Empire and the rebuilding of the Republic and new Jedi Order, my personal pick.

I'm very curious where this will go, but I'm optimistic. As said, it can't be worse than Episode I.
    edited November 2012
    [Snip]
    Post edited by Drugar on
    edited November 2012
    Edit: Ahem, @Tanthalas, could you remove this tripleposted atrocity? My apologies.
    Post edited by Drugar on
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2012
    After the disaster that was the Pre-Trilogy, Disney will do the next films right. I'm excited for the 2015 one... I just hope its a new direction, with new characters, set long before or after the other movies.

All that being said, Disney is a corporate whore who is getting too big (Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, ESPN, etc.). I predict Disney will become Self-Aware on August 2nd, 2017 and start making Terminators that look like Mickey Mouse.
    edited November 2012
    I'm pretty sure the new movies will end up establishing a new canon.

I don't think the EU will be considered anything beyond a source of ideas and inspiration. And by that I mean a Mara Jade cameo as a nod to the hard core fans or something like that.
    Kilivitz said:

I'm pretty sure the new movies will end up establishing a new canon.

I don't think the EU will be considered anything beyond a source of ideas and inspiration. And by that I mean a Mara Jade cameo as a nod to the hard core fans or something like that.

What does Europe have to do with Star Wars? Is that because all the Imperials are British, or...

Oh, I see. Darned acronyms, they trip me up ET.
    @Aosaw How could ET trip you up? He barely has any legs and --oh, wait... I got it.
    Kilivitz said:

Did you guys know that the first movie released by Miramax after being sold to Disney was Pulp Fiction?

No, I did not know that. Very surprising. Makes me wonder whether they actually read the script. But I guess as long as it said "Miramax" instead of "Disney" it was ok.

Hey, if Harrison Ford could still play a halfway decent older Indiana Jones (nevermind the part about alien spaceships) then I'm sure he could do an aging Han Solo.
    Guys, remember that Disney as a corporation doesn't have a policy of "PG only"; that's just their policy for projects created at Disney's own studios.

It's likely that Star Wars will remain somewhat autonomous, with the exception being that Disney will be able to pour more money into it to hire better actors, directors, and designers--and as a result they will also see more profits.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    I'm very optimistic about the news. I think there's a lot of demand for more Star Wars, and the Disney corporation could do a good job with it.

They're producing my current favorite TV show, Once Upon a Time, and the writing on that show is fantastic, in my opinion.

I'd love to see a "next generation" approach for the movies, with lots of cameos by the older actors.

The books I've read have Han and Leia having and raising fraternal twins. (Twins run in the Skywalker family, apparently.) Luke re-establishes and rebuilds the Jedi Order, and founds it with his new, more moderate, reformed philosophy. Leia trains as a Jedi (even while pregnant with the twins), and learns to use a lightsaber. I'd love to see these ideas incorporated, to tie in the movies with the books.

Admiral Thrawn and the remnants of the Imperial Fleet would make a great movie, although I guess they can't make it because that story has Han, Luke, and Leia still at center stage, and the actors are too old to play it. If they try to recast any of those roles, they're fools, though.

I've heard that Lucas had actually written a story arc for episodes VII-IX that he abandoned, so they might use that if it's any good.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    If i may add to my previous post as i forgot to mention this. I think in all honesty that if they're more biased towards pleasing existing fans as well as making new fans(who will afterwards scoop up the original 6 movies in order to get better context) would make sense from a purely greed/financial point of view.

But to entice new fans as well as pleasing the old, i'd still prefer seeing any new movies set in the mmo's world centuries before the original movies. It's what got me exited about the mmo, watching those amazing trailers of the sith attacks(the rest of this line is a spoiler which i will refrain from typing). As far as it possibly being called episode 7, and this is where it gets fun(and where you could include the original cast in cameos) is that it is a narrative story with luke and the rest giving history lessons to the new jedi order's students about their history. Whole idea not fleshed out as i'm winging it as i type.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    ...and there's the death of the Star Wars franchise.

...and there's the death of the Star Wars franchise.

Because that didn't happen when George Lucas created Jar-Jar Binks?