Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    Hi @Eddard_Stark

It may be your version of iTunes that causes the problem. You need an older version of iTunes to make it work afaik - see the version mentioned in the first post post (first paragraph).

If you are uncomfortable changing your version you could try iMazing instead - as Luke93 suggests

The issue that I am having is that when I do download the older version of iTunes, it suddenly upgrades itself immediately back to the current version. However I admit I only tried downloading the older version once and I was too busy to try a second time.

Hi @Eddard_Stark
    I think iTunes has a life of its own. I would try out iMazing instead. Luke has tested it and has vouched for it. And he is pretty meticulous, so I’d reckon it works.
    _Luke_
  • mjgamjga Member Posts: 3
    Hi. First of all i would like to thank @_Luke_ for this awesome guide! i was able to mod my BG1 without issues.... except for one UI mod :(

Im using the Pocketplay UI mod by Pecca since its a ui specifically for mobile phones https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/78778/pocket-play-ui-for-ee-games-on-phones

and this happensytj995qo5cjz.jpg
    1bg3etdvlas7.jpg

All the new icons he has implemented are all black in game. even the background image in the main menu. :(

I've tried archiving using WinRAR compression method set to None, used the texture converter, but nothing seems to work. Any clues?

My Weidu Log is attached (the Pocketplay UI is currently uninstalled since i install it last)
    StummvonBordwehr
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    mjga wrote: »
    My Weidu Log is attached (the Pocketplay UI is currently uninstalled since i install it last)

It's the texture converter that must be installed last, not UI modifications...
    StummvonBordwehr
  • mjgamjga Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2021
    _Luke_ wrote: »

It's the texture converter that must be installed last, not UI modifications...

That's strange... I always ran the texture converter after portraits everywhere install as well as after the UI install. Let me try again and see what happens on a clean install

Edit: What i meant to say was, I always make sure to run the texture converter after installing Portraits Everywhere and then another run of it after installing the UI
    edited March 2021
    Edit: What i meant to say was, I always make sure to run the texture converter after installing Portraits Everywhere and then another run of it after installing the UI

It should be enough to install the texture converter just once, after installing the UI (make sure to select option #7 – Override files only (iOS recommended)...)
  • BhaldorBhaldor Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    apologies for reviving a very old thread.

through hours of trying i simply cannot get mods to install on my ipad.
    for some reason after sending the override.bg1data file to my ipad. i do not have any options to open it via the BGEE app. no export/open with application option anywhere.

If anyone is able to help it would be very much appreciated
    edited March 2021
    Bhaldor wrote: »
    Hi all,
    apologies for reviving a very old thread.

through hours of trying i simply cannot get mods to install on my ipad.
    for some reason after sending the override.bg1data file to my ipad. i do not have any options to open it via the BGEE app. no export/open with application option anywhere.

If anyone is able to help it would be very much appreciated

Hi @Bhaldor

Not to worry. The thread is old, but questions and news keep popping up.

I assume that you

1) successfully extracted the app via iTunes or the like.

2) Successfully installed the mod on the extracted app.

3) Zipped the file - without compressing the files - and send it to your self.

With the above in order, you’re pretty close to your goal.

I usually send my files to Dropbox. So my directions are from there

When I have uploaded the file to Dropbox, I press export.

Once I press export, I have to swipe to reach the Apps I want
    lflkdcontjxp.png
    rg98hslom2n5.png
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
    Hello @StummvonBordwehr
    thankyou very much for the reply.

after trying with drop box I had a little bit further success in exporting the file to BG EE app. however the mods i installed dont seem to work. all im installing is xp cap remover with 4 files in override.
    i zipped my file (no compression) then removed the .zip tag on the file
    drop box to myself.
    i found once i had the file on my ipad it still had .zip on it and i was unable to export to the BG app.
    I renamed the file without the .zip in the ipad dropbox app. this allowed me to at least select the BG app to export to.

The BG game immediately launches after i export the file. and the xp cap mod doesnt work.
    sorry for the newbie questions. but by simply creating a override.bg1data file with the 4 xp .2da files in it be sufficient? where exactly does the override file sit in the ipa file structure? as the exported file structure is a bit different than PC version.

thanks for your help!!
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited March 2021
    Hi @Bhaldor

It sounds like you are close. But I suspect that you need to export the “lang” folder as well. Same method as you used on the override folder.

Don’t exactly know why, but I believe it is needed for the mods to work properly.

Try that, and see if it doesn’t solve your problems. Or else Luke93 may have some insight.

Ps. The 2.6 patch for iOS should be ready for testing soon. We hope that modding will be significantly easier when it’s released... It should be possible as I see it (based on the NWN:ee app).
    edited March 2021
    Don’t exactly know why, but I believe it is needed for the mods to work properly.

The "lang" folder is needed to correctly show the strings (text) added by the installed mods.

Anyway, I'm not sure what's wrong here (I've never installed the XP cap remover...). What do you @Bhaldor mean exactly by the xp cap mod doesn't work? Maybe the XP cap remover requires you to start a new game...?
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited March 2021
    hello thanks all for the comments.
    the xp cap remover is simply 4 files in override folder which sets xp cap to unlimited. (-1 instead of 89000xp)
    I havent tried the lang folder upload yet.
    At risk of sounding like an idiot. I simply cannot find the .lang folder in the the exported files.
    been looking for 10 mins and its not there. Is this folder created when you install a mod? or should it be there from the get go?
    thanks all! very much appreciate the help
    5cqk9t93ubp7.png
    edited March 2021
    Hi @Bhaldor

Not to worry. It’s quite the ordeal until you get the hang of it. Your files should look like this (old picture)
    my0djjn5mp8c.jpeg

You have to search for the “chitin.key”. When you can see that file, you are in the right place. Mods should be extracted and installed from here, and the folder “override” and “lang” should be zipped and copied from here.
    Bhaldor
    Thanks for the info.
    Im using imazing to extract the IPA file. i dont think its working correctly as I cant see any files in the extracted folders with the chitin.key. the payload folder always extracts empty
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for the info.
    Im using imazing to extract the IPA file. i dont think its working correctly as I cant see any files in the extracted folders with the chitin.key. the payload folder always extracts empty

Well, that's certainly odd... The payload folder should contain the .app file (see an example below)
    qnixotzp5msz.png
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for the info.

Hi @Bhaldor

I can actually elaborate on that. I have seen it before. The mods don’t install correctly when your folder looks like yours.

I think that the app fhas not been downloaded correctly. You have to download it again - somehow / some way - until you have a folder where the chitin key is present (see my screen dump above of how it should look).
    I have no clues to have you can achieve it though... I rage quitted many times in the process, but one day it work, and I don’t know what I did differently.
  • atsukoatsuko Member Posts: 4
    this method also works with nwn ee?
    Thx!
    atsuko wrote: »
    this method also works with nwn ee?
    Thx!

Nope, NWN:EE is a different story...

Try looking here and here...
    StummvonBordwehr
  • ExistentialAdamExistentialAdam Member Posts: 3
    Hi Luke and all,
    The instructions on page one seem like you are using one device first (pc) and then sending the files to your iPad or iPhone, unless I’m misunderstanding. Can you do it all just using an iPad? If so, are the directions the same?
    Can you do it all just using an iPad?

Sorry, you can't...
    Luke, thank you for answering. I haven’t seen this question asked/answered: If I get Mac OS X running on my iPad, can I download the games and install mods as if I were on a Mac?
    Luke, thank you for answering. I haven’t seen this question asked/answered: If I get Mac OS X running on my iPad, can I download the games and install mods as if I were on a Mac?

Probably, not sure how you can install macOS on your iPad...

Are you talking about turning your iPad into a second display with Duet Display / Luna Display?
    There are videos of Windows and Mac OS running on iPad, although the how is less clear. I’m not sure if the effort and subsequent performance is worth it.
  • Eddard_StarkEddard_Stark Member Posts: 52
    I am having a hard time following the tutorial on the main page of this thread. Could you maybe post a really detailed step by step guide on how to do this using IMazing on a PC rather than iTunes on a Mac?
    Could you maybe post a really detailed step by step guide on how to do this using IMazing on a PC rather than iTunes on a Mac?

I don't have a Windows PC, sorry... Anyway, you need to follow the linked instructions in order to get/download the ".ipa" files of these games.
    On macOS they are located in "username/Library/Application Support/iMazing/Library".

Once you have it, go to step #4 and continue from there.
    edited June 2021
    _Luke_ wrote: »
    I am having a hard time following the tutorial on the main page of this thread. Could you maybe post a really detailed step by step guide on how to do this using IMazing on a PC rather than iTunes on a Mac?

I don't have a Windows PC, sorry... Anyway, you need to follow the linked instructions in order to get/download the ".ipa" files of these games.
    On macOS they are located in "username/Library/Application Support/iMazing/Library".

Once you have it, go to step #4 and continue from there.

Could you at least if possible, post a guide on how to do this using IMazing rather than ITunes? Even if it is on a Mac. Could you do the guide from the moment you open IMazing to the moment the mods are in the BG1 game?

Edit: I have renamed the .ipa extension to .zip. However, I am unsure what it is that you mean by unzip the app?

Edit: Also, could you maybe provide some images for each step?
    Post edited by Eddard_Stark on
    edited June 2021
    I managed to get the override and lang folders to iOS. The only issue is that the game crashes when opening the lang folder to the game.
    Hi @Eddard_Stark
    This sounds weird.
    I use the guide as well. I tried several times before getting it right - having spend many hours in vain. The steps have to be followed 100 %, and even the tiniest detour ends in a faulty process.

I use a PC as well, but with ITunes (Old version), so I cant help you with Imazing. From what you write, there could be several problems that causes the bug:

1) the lang folder holds a different language than what the mod requires. If you have an ES (spanish) mod you should have the corresponding language in the lang folder. This may be obvious, but the EN language may have a British and American language file… Modern phones may have enough free space to hold the entire lang folder, so perhaps just leave it as it is,

2) the folder may be cropped. Remeber to remove the zip appendix,

3) you have to export the override and lang folders in 2 separate steps. Remember to shut down the App between the exports. Better take your time to make sure the app is shut down fully,

4) Something I cant explain. you have to redo the process again and hope for a miracle
    edited June 2021
    How do I zip the Override with no compression?

Also, now the Override.bg1data is crashing when I export it to the game.
    How do I zip the Override with no compression?
    Try using 7-zip and select 'no compression'...
    Also, now the Override.bg1data is crashing when I export it to the game.
    Make sure everything is lowercased, i.e.: "override.bg1data", "lang.bg1data", etc...
    Also, make sure you the “zip” suffix is NOT present after renaming them, i.e.: "override.zip.bg1data"
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited June 2021
    In step 4, I renamed the .ipa extension to .zip. However, what do you mean by when you say “and then unzip the app. You will have a folder with the app inside it. You can get to the game folder (where chitin.key is) and from there install weidu mods normally.”

Do I take Baldur’s Gate.app out of the folder I renamed?

Also, there is no option that says “no compression” when I right click on the override folder and select 7-zip.