Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    One thing I have noticed is that getting level drained even 1 level absolutely kills Ana's saves. Looking at the save tables the last save reduction was at level 18, but perhaps there is some hidden save drain effect that takes place during level drain? Something to watch out for since 1/5/4/7/4 is a death sentence with all these HLAs flying around. It is almost like it removes all the save modifiers as well when getting level drained (nothing in parentheses after the saves) see here:

Yes, that's exactly what it does. Level drain is absolutely vicious to a warrior that's relying on passive save boosts. And there's no source of NPP a monk can use until super-late (the upgraded forms of Spectral Brand and Angurvadal with Sendai's lair).

Fortunately, there aren't that many level-draining monsters left to face. There are a few mixed in with Sendai's lair, but that's also when you can upgrade Spectral Brand and actually protect yourself.
    Adam_en_tiumWise_GrimwaldGrond0Enuhal
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    I was going suggest the Amulet of Power, but it seems the Enhanced Editions have removed the Monks ability to wear it. That's pretty brutal - I relied on that one quite heavily ~11-12 years ago when I did my only Monk no-reload run.
    AerakarWise_Grimwald
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    One thing that is interesting for the monk in ToB is that "received wisdom" is that "ranged is good in BG1 but trails off later" which you see said constantly, but the monk makes a very effective ranged weapon fighter in ToB, with their speed increase, especially when using GWW. Almost half of Ana's combat in ToB has been ranged.

I can only imagine the hell an archer kit could unleash with firetooth crossbow with grandmastery... or even with the dagger since the str bonus from 22 strength should more than make up for only having 1 pip. And of course access to that super long Improved haste from amulet of cheetah speed that poor Anastasia is denied.
    Grond0Adam_en_tiumAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Sounds like Semaj was like one of those cartoon henchmen who drops the anvil at the wrong time: “I done good boss, I done good... oooh...I done bad.”
    Grond0Wise_Grimwald
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited March 2021
    Daiytha is much easier in comparison, especially since she doesn't seem to have a weapon? What I hadn't realized is that one of her minions has some sort of magic drain effect which sapped charges from Ana's wand of resurrection. How annoying, but not enough to stop then dying.

That would be the Hive Mother's antimagic ray. In addition to dispelling everything and removing spell protections, it acts like a nishruu's hit and drains item charges and wizard spells.

Also, checking the script ...
    Each time one of Sendai's statues activates, two drow spawn in. Either two kensai (level 12 without SCS, level 22 with) or one kensai and one mage (level 12). That level change is actually in the general AI component, not the specific component for Sendai.

Also, the statues' order is fixed. Cleric, Mage, Kensai/Thief, Berserker, Cleric/Mage, Fighter with bow, Assassin. SCS only changes how fast they spawn, not their order.
    Post edited by jmerry on
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldMantis37alice_ashpool
    edited March 2021
    jmerry wrote: »

Also, the statues' order is fixed. Cleric, Mage, Kensai/Thief, Berserker, Cleric/Mage, Fighter with bow, Assassin. SCS only changes how fast they spawn, not their order.
    I don't understand how it spawned so fast then, there should have been ample time to get behind. Maybe Anastasia was just unlucky, or I lost sometime somewhere in running down there. In the end it was ok though, thankfully.

In my run I had 2 mages, maybe 3, which would mean 11-12 kensai... ouch, but I wasn't counting.

Anyway, on to Draconis and then those ridiculous lizard men with HLAs, a load of dragons and big A.
    Grond0Wise_Grimwald
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @Wise_Grimwald the ironic part of her dying to poison is Dynaheir can cure poison. Not sure on the cast time, however, so not sure if that was viable for her or not.
    Grond0
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited March 2021
    @Wise_Grimwald the ironic part of her dying to poison is Dynaheir can cure poison. Not sure on the cast time, however, so not sure if that was viable for her or not.

The poison interrupts the spell. :s She took two potions of elexir of health, but as fast as she took them she was repoisoned. :( It was a waste of potions!! We had four scrolls of protection from poison but saving those for the times when the end result might be in doubt. It was always clear that the battle was ours.

What was stupid was that I had forgotten that M'Khinn could now raise her. A waste of 800gp. I won't forget again.

End of run :'(

Defeated everything including the mind flayers, but then took on the Shadow Aspect. It completely owned us.

Minsc had a permadeath even before the end of the game. He asked me to look after Boo for him, but I have a shrewd suspicion that Boo died too.

I wouldn't mind having some advice as to how to kill it. It was tough! Reducing our strengths one by one was really tough, an it blinded M'Khiin too.

I'm thinking that a few lesser restoration spells might have helped, but perhaps not.

Perhaps we should have just left it there without fighting it.

After thinking about it I have decided that summons are probably the answer. I'll try it out.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    alice_ashpoolCorey_RussellMantis37
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Those spells should be made uninterruptable

I wouldn't mind having some advice as to how to kill it.t

The cheapest way would be protection from undead + true sight, with a single character while everyone else chills out somewhere else. Though I have never done it with a party.
    Wise_Grimwald
    These final game fights really show up a major disadvantage of the monk over other fighter-type classes/kits in the late game is the weapon restrictions. No Soul Reaver for destroying enemy thac0, no flail of ages for no-save slowing, no Carsomyr or Bala's Axe for messing with casters. That's on top of the already punishing no helmet restriction.

Not to worry though, the DMMs advantages are huge too.
    Grond0Adam_en_tiumWise_GrimwaldTrouveur