Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Grond0 wrote: »
    'Long-life challenge' - cleric/thief (update 2)

The unnecessary work done in BGEE meant that I was immediately able to pick up an extra level in each class on transfer to SoD.

It looks as if you've removed or changed the level cap. Which is it ?
    The highest that I can get before SoD is 161,000
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

The unnecessary work done in BGEE meant that I was immediately able to pick up an extra level in each class on transfer to SoD.

Neither. Although XP shown on the character record is limited to 161,000, the game does keep track of amounts over that in the background. Each time you load the game the amount is reset back to the limit. However, if you play on the PC and use the SoD engine than you automatically transfer to SoD after Sarevok dies and keep whatever XP over the limit you've gained since the last time you loaded the game.

I'm not sure what happens if you import from BGEE to SoD manually, but guess that you would keep the excess XP doing that as well if you import a character from a save (that certainly happens when you import from SoD to BG2EE).
    Adam_en_tiumAerakarWise_GrimwaldTrouveur
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited March 2021

Neither. Although XP shown on the character record is limited to 161,000, the game does keep track of amounts over that in the background. Each time you load the game the amount is reset back to the limit. However, if you play on the PC and use the SoD engine than you automatically transfer to SoD after Sarevok dies and keep whatever XP over the limit you've gained since the last time you loaded the game.

I'm not sure what happens if you import from BGEE to SoD manually, but guess that you would keep the excess XP doing that as well if you import a character from a save (that certainly happens when you import from SoD to BG2EE).

That explains it. I usually close the game after beating Sarevok. I have had a few games where I have had weird amounts of experience and what you have written explains things. It was worthwhile asking.
    Grond0
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 482
    These final game fights really show up a major disadvantage of the monk over other fighter-type classes/kits in the late game is the weapon restrictions. No Soul Reaver for destroying enemy thac0, no flail of ages for no-save slowing, no Carsomyr or Bala's Axe for messing with casters. That's on top of the already punishing no helmet restriction.

Not to worry though, the DMMs advantages are huge too.

It would probably be the same for a Shapeshifter. Only being able to use Scimitar/Club/Staff/Dagger, claws being +2 or +3...

Hum, maybe it could be achievable with the SCS Shapeshifter ? And since I play with a tweak component preventing druid to wear an helmet...

Oh no ! The Restart Again from level 1 Curse is back...
    Grond0Wise_Grimwaldalice_ashpool
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    Trouveur wrote: »

It would probably be the same for a Shapeshifter. Only being able to use Scimitar/Club/Staff/Dagger, claws being +2 or +3...

Hum, maybe it could be achievable with the SCS Shapeshifter ? And since I play with a tweak component preventing druid to wear an helmet...

I can imagine - SCS with the SCS shapeshifter would be interesting but I have zero druid experience so don't really know about the long term viability of the shapeshifter solo.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • JabberwockJabberwock Member Posts: 75
    @alice_ashpool I'm surprised you got as far as you did with the monk as it was. SoA imo isn't too hard to bully with solo characters because you get so over-leveled and because the AI has such difficulty forcing a fast solo character to engage.

But I was pretty sure Sendai would get you and she did not... Kudos!

Anyway, MY monk retired in the underdark mind flayer city. Cernd got chunked by a ballistic attack and so we called it quits. Last run was also ended by Cernd being chunked (Hmm.). I've really got to be more careful in mid-late SoA vs. chunking risk on party members. Cernd in particular is super rugged in a lot of contexts, but every now and then his thin hp pool becomes important and he get's perma toasted.

Probably going to give the halfling swash with party of rangers & thieves another try. Tempted to roll him as a dwarf this time for the better strength bonus, but I kind of like the potential to get 21 dex in ToB with Shuruppak's plate.
    Grond0Aerakaralice_ashpoolEnuhal
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2021
    Jabberwock wrote: »
    @alice_ashpool I'm surprised you got as far as you did with the monk as it was. SoA imo isn't too hard to bully with solo characters because you get so over-leveled and because the AI has such difficulty forcing a fast solo character to engage.

But I was pretty sure Sendai would get you and she did not... Kudos!

Anyway, MY monk retired in the underdark mind flayer city. Cernd got chunked by a ballistic attack and so we called it quits. Last run was also ended by Cernd being chunked (Hmm.). I've really got to be more careful in mid-late SoA vs. chunking risk on party members. Cernd in particular is super rugged in a lot of contexts, but every now and then his thin hp pool becomes important and he get's perma toasted.

Probably going to give the halfling swash with party of rangers & thieves another try. Tempted to roll him as a dwarf this time for the better strength bonus, but I kind of like the potential to get 21 dex in ToB with Shuruppak's plate.

well she's not dead yet, but yes, the chances are slim. @histamiini did a solo DMM SCS+LoB, only dying once, at the final fight, and their strategy should work fine for the non-LoB DMM, filled with cheese. But it is unpredictable, and more than anything it's long.

The strategy would go as follows:

Round 1: Recruit Bodhi GWW down the Solars 1 by 1 while Bodhi distracts everything. Imoen's 10 rounds should be up by this point so then just kill Irenicus - trivial with >100%MR

Pools: Start in the bottom right, lure and clear the demons. Use Bodhi's perma-fireshield(blue) to have the mariliths kill themselves. Pool 1 will gain you teleport and the ability to stalemate the game since once a pool is finished it cuts off from the main arena, meaning you can teleport there and no one except big M can get to you. This also nets you control demon.

Clear top right pool, hope that you don't get endlessly spawning Balors and Marilliths. Use control demon to have the hard stuff killed by the others. Begin screaming at Bodhi's AI.

Do the same for the bottom left pool. If issues happen just teleport to the bottom right platform and take a chill.

For the 5 - just stack as much missile AC as you can and sit on one of the pools and slooooooowly firetooth them down to near death, except for Sarevok. Kill Yaga shura, Use a Control Circlet on Sarevok and use Focus. Then asap take down the rest of the 5 while hopefully they concentrate on Sarevok. Once the last is dead, make sure Meli has done her full summoning thing, teleport to the far corner of a pool, then once she tele-stomps you flip to Ravager and kill Meli using the remaining Critical Strikes as per @XDarkStrikerX 's post in the LoB+SCS challenge thread.

That's it in theory.
    Grond0XDarkStrikerX