Skip to content

Good alternative to paladin?

I've always played paladins but eventually you want something new and find your old habits constricting. I deleted the longer write-up to avoid taxing your patience with a text well, but here are some crucial points:

- high AB and HP etc. for a direct combat role, involving normal metal weapons and armour
- preferably good Persuade (not necessarily perfect)
- Good alignment

I was thinking about:
- Rogue/Fighter/CoT
- vanilla Bard
- Fighter/HS/CoT
- some odd WM build that isn't about small weapons
- something with PDK for a module with allies in combat
- some custom class

Not Cleric, though. And not really Druid, though there's certainly nothing wrong with the class. And no Monk.

I've recently done Ranger and HS levels on my paladins, even Rogue a while earlier, and would be more intrigued by something closer to Fighter.

Alternatively just Paladin but maybe a new way to play it? Something non-obvious, like is there anything? I've already done Rogue, Ranger and HS levels.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    go the red dragon disciple route;

human

then do fighter at level 1
    bard at level 2 ( and if you can spare it set your tumble to 5 for that extra AC bonus )
    and then do 3 more levels of fighter ( just make sure that the time you hit level 5 you have 8 ranks in lore )
    then starting at level 6 you can do all your levels in red dragon disciple

and then after you have hit all 10 levels of red dragon disciple, level up your bard 2 or 3 more levels just so you can get your tumble up to 20 ranks ( just make sure you dont go pass level 4 in bard before level 20 ) so then you can get that sweetski AC bonus

and level the rest up with fighter and go to town stomping on monster baddies, this build works great with either weapon and shield style or 2 handed weapon style
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    I was gonna say yeah the Red Dragon Disciple is pretty good.

Being Immune to fire is always handy as it's the most common element you will fight against

If you really wanted the Torm class you could still get it later and benefit from the extra feats you lost out on with RDD.

It's a shame the RDD isn't more like PnP, from what I hear you get spells, claws and a bite attack which would make an interesting Monk/RDD and choose your Dragon type, I like the idea of an evil Monk/Black Dragon Disciple.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2021
    I'll second the Ftr/Brd/RDD suggestion, but I build it a little differently... (I do, admittedly, abuse the unlimited skill point saving in NWN.)

Start with Str 16, Int 14, (split the rest as you like.).. Lvl 1 - 6 are fighter,, Max Discipline and Lore 8. this gets you your 2nd attack, Weapon Spec and Cleave/Great Cleave as soon as possible.. all very noticeable improvements. Lvl 7 is Brd, 10 points tumble (for bonus 2 to ac.),, and 10 points spell craft, (+2 to saves vs spells,, includes *lots* of spell like effects, including 'gaze' attacks!) and you can pretty much max out persuade as well, Lvl 8 - 17 are RDD, max out persuade and spellcraft, (and discipline, as well.) can also dump points into search and spot, (or other skills if you prefer.) Lvl 18 - 19 are bard, bring your tumble to 20, (so now you have 8AC bonus, 4 from RDD, and 4 from Tumble. That's Massive!,, if you're also a shield wielder, you are a melee monster at this point.. It's tempted to go 2H for the extra 8 points of damage you can get from your insane str,, but after many rounds of playtesting various modules, due to all the mobs of melee combat in NWN, S & B is still just better in this game.)

Lvl 21 is interesting, because here you have 2 routes... if this is not already monstrously cheesy for you, you can take Devestating Crit at Lvl 21. I tried this once in HotU, but never finished the playthrough,... the game was just too boring at that point. Ever see One Punch man? I killed the Bebilith without restoring magic by punching it on the nose. Personally, here I take Epic weapon specialization instead. Also works for Aielund saga, where dev crit is disabled.

After that, keep leveling RDD, dipping into bard levels every time you can pump tumble by another 5. The epic rdd leves gives you an extra +3 AC, and 15 to 30 more HP, (depending on whether you take hardcore average or MAX HP)

Even though the build is hyper focused on melee, keeping a handful of spell mantle and spell breach scrolls can help in situations where a fighter is often disadvantaged.
  • ArchMage_SplatArchMage_Splat Member Posts: 12
    I mostly only did the no rules "or close to" PVP arena servers or persistent world "sand box version of Dota" and the like, some servers i'd have like 50+ max level builds.

Im mostly power leveling , power gamer as they call it and a pvp player, sucks the world hates us for some resion seeing as thiers like no games out thier for us to speak of late i checked that are new, anyways ...

Want something that works + brain dead to make and is a power build at low low~mid levels "suck at 40"

Fighter\Barb ~ dwarf with 22 min con, you can see where this is going, think 8 fighter 2 something 28 barb big fat bag of HP DPS build, i use to own my fav arena server with just 4 fighter 16 barb up to level 20 vs all with that lol,it peeks out at level 30 as you mix fighter and barb and end up sucking, thing is rude at low levels though.

, if you want the 40 version fine its ..... kept all my old power builds of old offline, let me pump out some ideas level only wise, don't want to get in to full build orders from level 1~40, you know the wall of text topic and all that.

Fav servers where Dungeon eternal X , Badlands , Chaotic world , BoW team arena , War for middle earth team arena server, mikes bot D arena.

Some of the arena servers a match of 12 vs 12 players "max" would last 2 hours and that's all the time it would take to make a max level build.

I miss the old days, arena servers when we had player base were a grate place to test out build ideas and imho the servers in nwn were better then league of legends or Dota, seems its all we have now and they suck imho.

So i understood you wanted a DPS "damage per sec" melee with some spells in their err ok ...

Lets brake out the classics, some are every hard to level btw on slow xp servers, this is only for level 40 power builds "for pvp pk"
    Builds that might be unusable on some levels on some servers or you can't level them given time

Barb or fighter 28/ bard 2 / RDD 10 Dwarf STR based , old classic , brute force melee.

Paladin 16 / CoT 22 / rouge 2 Str based, beats me but this one did the rounds at one point on the server i knew, yes i cloned other players builds, don't we all when we see something own and pk everyone dead we all want one ;)
    u5ul0ez99mxb.jpg

fighter 7 / WM 7 / Dwarven defender 26, meat sack HP melee that freaking hard to kill anyone ?

Bard 14 / Rdd 10 / pm 16 "i know evil" anyways low ab but man epic warding cant crit ya fun, do you like unkillable tanks ?

Fighter 14/ wm 25 / wiz 1 = retard AB melee 80+d20 thaco "true strike" ac = zero dex based gets +1 ab ;)

Ac i can push in to the ac 120 zone if you like dex based pail masters nm