Skip to content

Armour and weapons and rules abstraction

TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
Hey all, as part of my blacksmithing hobby I've been pondering various armours (british spelling, my preferred spelling) vs weapons and how the arms race between the weaponsmiths and armourers of the day played out. Specifically I've been thinking about the cut resistance of plate armour vs the vulnerability of plate to blunt weapons such as maces, hammers and pick type weapon which are designed to penetrate plate. I also wonder about the resistance of leather (and other "lesser" armours) against blunt weapons like maces, hammers and even the pick type weapons. While various rules system try to abstract this concept a bit I'm really interested. I'd like to hear your thoughts

-Trent

Comments

• KevXSYSKevXSYS Member Posts: 1
    Hi Trent, I think these types of rules can make a game more interesting and feel more medieval. In fact, I do recall adding house rules to our D&D game once that included deflection and damage reduction vs each type of armor per weapon type. It completely changed the game and it allowed fighters in heavy armor to last longer in combat. We also saw a shift to bludgeoning weapons over swords. Combat became a slugfest, but that's how we envisioned armored combat anyway. Armors like chainmail were amazing against swords, but lousy vs piecing and bludgeoning. We also found that characters who had less HPs where more balanced in a fight. In addition, padded and leather became really great against piecing and it actually made such armors more useful for ranged combat. At one point, we even made longswords more versatile as slashing and piercing weapons to differentiate them against purely slashing swords like scimitars.

I was remined of all of this the day I took a tour of the army museum in Paris. Some of those armors clearly made the wearer immune to arrows and sword blows. Since then I can't help but add these kinds of rules to all my games, even my indie rpg game.
  • benfinkelbenfinkel Member Posts: 11
    We were going back and forth on Twitter about this but I figured since you "opened the floor" here I'd take the opportunity to type out my thoughts in detail.

For me both the top and bottom line is this: Game systems are better whenever they allow the players to make interesting choices with meaningful tradeoffs.

I don't think that's a particularly innovative or controversial statement, I imagine most designers understand that very intuitively. All the same it's a ball that gets dropped so often I wonder if fear of overcomplexity drives too much of the process. So much gear and equipment in games are simply "stat sticks". World of Warcraft is a prime example of this. There's a best-in-slot for every piece of equipment and no reason to swap it out once you've acquired it. Armor (armour) in classic D&D is another good example. The simple fact is there is no reason to choose any one armor over the other except for it's AC value. More protection == better and that's that.

In a better system there are reasons a character might choose the "worse" armor. Pathfinder has a good example of this: You get a bonus to your AC from your dexterity score, but that bonus can be limited by your armor. The idea being abstracted is that heavier armor limits your ability to dodge attacks. Do I want more dodge or more armor? A good, fun choice that I get to make as a player (with added character flavor as a bonus!). Newer editions of D&D implement similar ideas in their own way.

But even those examples fall a little short imo. At the end of the day it still comes down to "which combination gives me the highest AC" and then that's what you choose. As a high-dex rogue I won't ever choose to wear plate because it impacts my dodge ability too much. The choice was really made when I rolled my character to begin with, not in moment-to-moment gameplay.

I believe that a lot of games "front load" these choices during character creation. Simple rules that are transparently mechanical, such as "wizards cannot wear armor" substitute for meaningful choice. It appears to be a choice - If I want to cast magic missile I can't wear chainmail - but really it's just an arbitrary design decision to give a drawback to something that otherwise has none.

I do believe some up-front choices are important. I'm not advocating for a player to switch from wizard to rogue to paladin every other day by simply swapping out equipment. Making "permanent" choices and playing the game within those parameters is also an important part of game design, but it can be (and often is) overdone.

In my imagination a good game system would give me various reasons over the course of the campaign to make different choices. Countering specific armor types on your opponent like you've described is a great one. It rewards the player understanding the system and choosing to switch to a plain mace instead of their longsword +2. It rewards choosing a variety of martial feats to better prepare for different combat encounters. And it adds good flavor.

You also mentioned targeting armor specifically to deteriorate it or break it. Such a great idea! Monster Hunter does this and it makes the combat encounters so much more fun. My friends and I work together to accomplish specific breaks (sever the tail, smash off a horn, etc...) not only for the loot drops but because it changes the the encounter and the monster's abilities as well.

Another thing that could come into play is simply the nature of the enemy. The appropriate defense against a fire-breathing dragon may not provide any protection from a swarm of poisonous hornets. I won't have the same effectiveness with that mace against a gelatinous cube as I did against an armored bandit. Some games already do this with magic (fishy creatures are immune to water spells but susceptible to fire, etc...) but it's rarely implemented with martial abilities.

So many ways to make this fun. Environment, skills, training, *available crafting materials in the world*, the sky is the limit.

Of course the fear of complexity is grounded in reality. I get that. A system that's too complex or has too many moving parts will turn players off and risks simply being inscrutable (not to mention costly to develop). I don't think game design is coming anywhere near that though. The most complex RPG I've ever played, Pathfinder, is also one of the best selling. I routinely return to Kingmaker and try out different things because they went to such great lengths to include so much of the complexity of the table-top rules. It requires some work on my part, reading tool-tips and rulebooks and forums posts, but I think the outcome is really worth the effort.

I think games are currently playing it much too safe and would almost all benefit from adding more choices and complexity, especially in regards to equipment and gear.

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Realistically, there should be roughly three concepts. Dodge, deflection, damage reduction.
    Armour class is a simplified method to encompass the abovementioned in one value which is okay, but a bit archaic.

History wide it might be chicken egg, but I think first the weapons became more variant coming from scythes and pitchforks. That bred necessity for different armour kinds because nobility was expected to join in battle and survive. So they got the iron kind of armour while the footmen were packing anything really. Then that led to newer weapons, etc, etc.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    2nd edition (and Baldur's Gate) had this, but it was widely ignored. The reasoning is that armour couldn't be changed in combat (realistically) and players had preferred weapons and sprites were hard to distinguish between armour types in the heat of battle.

Regarding the arms race, it really had to do more with what materials were available at the time (bone, wood, bronze, iron, steel) and peasantry tasks. Axes, hammers, scythes and picks are all workman tools that were used as weapons in a pinch. Spears were more common for infantry because of how easy they were to use in large groups and polearms were invented to combat horseback. Maces were used more to breakthrough doors and swords were a nobleman's weapon.

In an RPG game setting, one needs to realize that warfare has nothing to do with the mechanics. There is never a huge army vs a huge army and it usually a party of 6 vs no more than 12.

Mechanic wise for me, I would like to see heavier armor be given a mobility penalty. It is much more difficult to move and attack and keep ones stamina up in full plate armour (regardless of a person's strength) vs lighter armour. Damaging one's armour should also be a thing. Iron chainmail can only take so many blows before a link breaks opening up holes for piercing weapons.

But it all depends on the game. First are far most a game needs to be fun. Hampering the game play with confusing mechanics isn't beneficial.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    As a player and dm in various rpg-s i really like the abstract, well polished systems. Yes AC is seems archaic but easy to use and fast. Faar better to use nowdays a modern fast system for more narrative roleplay than stat fest with various +- variables, that results the same outcome slower with more calculating.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    I think ultimately it comes down to a "show the math" or hide the complexity from the player. I'm a big fan of showing the math, but I also understand the challenge of too many numbers tipping the signal to noise ratio far into the noise side of the equation. I do the like three concepts of evasion, deflection and absorption. Best way to avoid damage is not be there, second best would be to deflect it, possibly taking some slight damage to the armour, third it a straight up take the hit. Most of the damage goes into the armour.
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    If changes in that way that will lead to such a thing like players wanted to wearing or carrying more armors for specific type of battles what is interesting but might be problematic if you not have a base or carriers. I would say if the adventure is like IWD where we have a group of adventurers is less militiaristic there is no base or carriers then normal style will be helpful the same for similiar BG EE, but military campaign like SoD or with base opportunity like BG2 new system will give a lot of challenge when you for each part of the game you have to prepare yourself.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    I'm thinking less about player armour and more about weapons. When you are going to face off against heavily armoured enemies you equip your warhammer or pick
    TrentOster wrote: »
    I'm thinking less about player armour and more about weapons. When you are going to face off against heavily armoured enemies you equip your warhammer or pick

still sounds tedious and then one has to ask, what's the downside of just using a warhammer or pick in other situations?

In real life, a warhammer would probably take more body blows to kill a person than a sword but a less armoured individual is still going to have broken ribs when struck by a Warhammer.

A a pick has a chance of getting stuck in anything it digs itself into making it less reliable but I don't see how that a mechanic like that wouldn't be overly annoying in a game.
    It will depend on the level of realism you put into these effects. With a broken or bruised bone effect, or with a deep puncture or long cut effect, then you could reduce mobility of the effected player thereby also affecting the base dodge or deflection or resistance capabilities as well, depending on where the foe was hit and what he was wearing.
    At some point you could basically guarantee hits slowly chipping away at life even if a weapon would be less suitable.

With a careful balancing act you could bring each approach (dodge, deflect, resist) close together or further apart however you want to. It allows for quite some system tweaking in whatever high or low magic setting you have.

The only drawback is that it might become wieldly if you also want to target specific parts of your foe to get the wanted effect.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    In a game that isn't combat heavy, it could be interesting to include some of these dynamics. What does a character do while his armour is being fixed? Maybe he goes to the pub to find another mission. Maybe he involves himself in political intrigues if he's a Lord, or runs his criminal enterprise if he's a rogue. That would be pretty complex, but also more like p&p D&D in my opinion. I think you got henchmen and strongholds a lot earlier than the 'epic' levels after all...
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    In a game that isn't combat heavy, it could be interesting to include some of these dynamics. What does a character do while his armour is being fixed? Maybe he goes to the pub to find another mission. Maybe he involves himself in political intrigues if he's a Lord, or runs his criminal enterprise if he's a rogue. That would be pretty complex, but also more like p&p D&D in my opinion. I think you got henchmen and strongholds a lot earlier than the 'epic' levels after all...

This also depends on the ‘magic level’ of the setting. Magical armour (and weapons) don’t break or wear down and hence would not need to be repaired and why adventurers can find these items in places that have been forgotten for centuries.
    I would prefer to have increased durability instead of indestructibility. Magical sure, but totally impervious to degradation is not very realistic
    lroumen wrote: »
    I would prefer to have increased durability instead of indestructibility. Magical sure, but totally impervious to degradation is not very realistic

Magic isn’t realistic either ?

Once again, it comes down to ‘fun’ level as well. One of the complaints about Breath of the Wild was the breakable weapons. You don’t want to annoy the players just because it is realistic.
    edited May 2021
    But then I would like that magical spell cast on my protagonist so I can go through the game unscathed. :p
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    lroumen wrote: »
    But then I would like that magical spell cast on my protagonist so I can go through the game unscathed. :p

You have that. It's called story mode! ?
    edited May 2021
    Hurray!

In seriousness, te debate between realism and practicality is all about the type of game the developer wants to create. If the main concept is story rather than mechanics, the abstraction is indeed good enough.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    If there's a realistic system in the sense that equipment shows wear and can break, than there should be at least the option to repair it, as it is implemented in Divinity:Original Sin, for example. Imagine BG1 before resolving the iron crisis. Breaking swords at every encounter, and you always have to carry around several swords with you just in case? Is that really more fun or more realistic than unbreakable weapons?
    Or dents in your armour that permanently hamper your mobility or affect the protection it offers?
    Sounds very complicated to implement in a game, and too much realism can get tedious, too.

Why not always use a warhammer or mace, if it's better against full plate than a sword, and still deadly against leather or unarmoured enemies? Definitely speed and agility. To swing a hammer or mace, or to stab with, let's say, a rapier or short sword, is a huge difference, if you've ever lifted a real mace. Charging on a horse wielding a hammer is one thing, using it in close combat on foot is slow and might kill you.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Pillars of Eternity had a fairly sophisticated damage system, with a small number of damage types but with each armor type granting different bonuses and each weapon type having unique effects. A saber deals extra damage but only deals slashing damage, while a war hammer isn't quite as damaging but can deal piercing or crushing damage, whichever is better. A suit of chain mail is great against blades but lousy against crushing weapons, and while padded armor offers low damage reduction it also doesn't slow you down as much as heavy armor. An arquebus is a lot slower than a wand and only deals one damage type, but it has sky high damage and partly ignores damage reduction, even if it does less damage on criticals.