Skip to content

Patch 8193.23 Launches for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
Greetings friends!

We’re launching a new patch for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition with some of the biggest feature sets yet! Today’s update brings a new game launcher with featured community content, performance improvements, plus hundreds of fixes.

PATCH HIGHLIGHTS
  • New Game Launcher | A new game launcher highlights some amazing community content that’s free for everyone!
  • New Portraits | Added three new character portraits (sourced from the community portrait contest)
  • TrueType Font | Added full TrueType font (TTF) support throughout the game, for clearer and more adaptive text (as well as fractional/decimal point UI scaling)
  • Pathfinding Improvements | Smoother movement and navigation
  • Performance Improvements | Enjoy smoother gameplay with significant performance improvements
  • Bug Fixes | Hundreds of bug fixes and polish features added
  • New Scripts | Added dozens of new script commands for use in custom servers, including improved scaling and transformation (lerping)
  • Water Graphics | Added realistic water reflections and refractions

Check out full details on Patch 8193.23.

Comments

• anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    I really liked the new launcher, congratulations beamdog!!!
  • RohomildRohomild Member Posts: 26
    Really like the new community highlights tab. Do you have plans to add other community modules to the new launcher in the future? Just curious, mind.
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    edited May 2021
    We have ui scale of 1.0 and 2.0 for 1080p previously, and now we have 1.0, 1.1...to 1.5. But I think I need 1.6 or 1.7 ... :(

---

solved, there is an UI option for this.
    Post edited by xiaoleiwen on
  • grom56grom56 Member Posts: 109
    Question: I'm not all that good on all this stuff, so how does one go about finding and running this new launcher?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    grom56 wrote: »
    Question: I'm not all that good on all this stuff, so how does one go about finding and running this new launcher?

Click NEW in the main menu. :)
  • grom56grom56 Member Posts: 109
    Ah, I see. I was looking for something to download and install. Thanks @JuliusBorisov
  • RastRast Member Posts: 12
    When will this version make its way to GOG?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    It's already there, at least in the Galaxy. Please ask GOG about offline installers.
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 124
    edited May 2021
    Nice release with several fixes, a pity that there are no fixes reported about the embedded modules, i also hope pathfinding will work this time.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2022
    @Felipefpl

Last time I played through the Prelude, my character got stuck behind Bim when I clicked on the waypoint to proceed to Olgerd after looting the Armoire on the opposite end of the room. In the Arcane Caster's part of the Neverwinter Academy, he kept getting obstructed by the piece of furniture between him and the bookshelf behind the female arcane student after he had looted the pile of books behind the male arcane student. Every time I guided my character to what should have been a clear path to the bookshelf, he would try to walk through that same piece of furniture like a moron instead of navigating around it when I left-clicked on the bookshelf. This was in Patch 8193.23. So no, it seems that pathfinding has not been completely fixed yet. Although, I couldn't give a flying foxtrot about pathfinding. That's what I have QWEASD for. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 124
    @Prince_Raymond

I see... :/ - that's most unfortunate, thanks for reporting this to everyone.
  • VelgorVelgor Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2021
    I just updated. When I try to load an old game, or start a new one, all the graphics, except for light sources, are missing. Everything has a dark purple haze. TAB will highlight things, but nothing else shows up. When I click on the map, random objects appear wherever I click. Also, when trying to create a new character, the window is blank, except for a small distorted graphic in the corner. Clicking new heads, etc does nothing. See screen cap in next post.

Win10
    Nvidia GTX1660 driver 466.47 (5/16/21 release date)
    g4hqzew1f34m.jpg
    Can you please do the following:

Go to Documents - Neverwinter Nights, find Settings.tml and open it

Find the following line:

graphics.fbo.high-contrast.enabled = false

Make sure it's "false"

This way you will disable the high contrast shader. Please let us know if it helps.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    A few thoughts: The improvements to pathfinding are immediately noticeable. It does lead a few .. unintended consequences, I think, but a big improvement. I'm also happy to see the transperency bug when loading/spawning a new game in uplifted forest tileset get addressed.

New bug?: If a character is created with too long a string in the Subrace field, the alignment in the character sheet gets a line break. As a result, the character's 3rd class does not display in the character sheet.

I understand the *many* good reasons we had to give up the good ol' bitmap fonts. But I'll agree that the new font is not as readable as the old "high def" font on 1080p.. it just looks much tinier, so now I have to scale the whole interface up 1.1 or 1.2. Not the end of the world, but the scaled interface does make everything noticeably fuzzy / out of focus now :(. But, even more noticeable, (to me,),, is there any way to configure your font rendering to enable subpixel aliasing? The current.. I don't know what you call that fuzzy anti-aliasing, looks *way* worse than it should on the large font, (the one used in the character sheet stats. The Font just has too much stroke contrast to be rendered clearly on 1080p,, so you have artifacts like the 'a' has a solid connection between the top and bottom left hand side, and the 'C' has a very visible fuzzy gap along the bottom.
    edited May 2021
    Can you please do the following:

Go to Documents - Neverwinter Nights, find Settings.tml and open it

Find the following line:

graphics.fbo.high-contrast.enabled = false

Make sure it's "false"

This way you will disable the high contrast shader. Please let us know if it helps.

I tried this fix and no change. I reinstalled the game via GOG Galaxy, and still the same problem. I have latest NVidia drivers 466.47 from 5/18/21 for my GTX 1660. Running game at 1080p.
    edited May 2021
    Thanks. We're already working on a fix for this pink issue. Can you try downloading this file, unzip it and put it into your override folder in Documents - Neverwinter Nights?

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/editor/00/k1id68tx7vtd.zip
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Thanks. We're already working on a fix for this pink issue. Can you try downloading this file, unzip it and put it into your override folder in Documents - Neverwinter Nights?

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/editor/00/k1id68tx7vtd.zip

I tried the file, no change.
    edited May 2021
    @Velgor Are you sure you don't use any custom content? Any custom shaders?

Also, try disabling the advanced framebuffer effects in-game.
    @Velgor Are you sure you don't use any custom content? Any custom shaders?

Also, try disabling the advanced framebuffer effects in-game.

I emptied my override folder and tried once more. The problem was solved! So, evidently there's an incompatible shader. I'll add them back, one by one to find the culprit. Thank you so much for the help!
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited June 2021
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/704450/discussions/0/4594180031257614448/#c4594180031258259718

"Any module working heavily with localint scripting variables (i.e. SetLocalInt/GetLocalInt) will have issues until Beamdog fixes NWScript. It seems to be limited to creatures only."

Is this still true since the latest update?
    Not sure that problem exists, really. It's a thread from 2020 with 2 people commenting, one of them is a known anti-EE person.
    @JuliusBorisov

Maybe, it would be worth investigating whether the problem exists or not? Just to be sure. Regardless if someone might be anti-EE, that shouldn't eliminate the possibility of there being a legitimate issue in the game. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    edited June 2021
    We did investigate it in 2020 and released quite a few patches since then. As you know, there is now a new game launcher with featured community content so we made sure Aielund Saga works fine.

We always investigate pay attention to what we hear from the community.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited June 2021
    We did investigate it in 2020 and released quite a few patches since then. As you know, there is now a new game launcher with featured community content so we made sure Aielund Saga works fine.

We always investigate pay attention to what we hear from the community.

Good to hear this; I did have some skepticism/doubt about that thread but he seemed pretty specific about what the supposed issues were, vs. a general anti EE rant. If it's fixed it's fixed, good news.

My concern is specifically with wanting to try a couple of more complex well known series (Aielund, Swordflight) for the first time on EE, and seeing various posts (including from mod authors as recently as last month, i.e. "It would appeart the current EE version is messing up a number of conversational scripts that cause a NPC to be transported somewhere to not work." from Rogueknight on 5/16/21 responding to a Swordflight 2 bug report on NWvault) indicating that there are issues with running these modules on EE that don't exist in Diamond... really would rather not have to find out midway through a long series like these sagas to find out I can't continue/finish (at least without console commands) due to such bugs.
    @ithildurnew

If you indeed happen to run into any bugs while playing the modules you just mentioned, please try to report them here. From what I was told earlier, you may also report them on the forums if you wish. The Technical Support forum would seem the most logical option.

@JuliusBorisov

Thank you, sir, for confirming that issue had been fixed. Yes, I know all about the new game launcher. However, I have not been playing any of the modules other than the Prelude to the Wailing Death Campaign for reasons I'm sure you already know. On my last playthrough in Patch 8193.23, I only progressed as far as passing the melee and ranged combat trials, then I promptly exited the game before proceeding to the assembly hall to receive my graduation blessing from Lady Aribeth. I knew what would be waiting for me from that point on: another episode of my OCD getting triggered. Hard. I wasn't about to go through that again. We've had a few discussions about that, too, sir. I will continue to wait patiently for whatever decision you and the NWN Development Team reach, even if I have to wait until the very end of this year. You all have a good day, be safe and stay healthy. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    Reading the discussion here I got the impression that we may report any bug when playing a community module that only occurs in EE version and it could be fixed in later patches. So, I would like to ask, is the game breaking bug (invalid teleportation sth) of prophet chapter 3 and Tales of Arterra chapter 2 discussed here in 2019 has been fixed?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/73680/nwn-modules-by-baldecaran-prophet-cave-of-songs-honor-among-thieves
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    If you've got an hour or two, you could always look through this list of what each patch, from 1.69 to date, contained.

TR
    marcnivar wrote: »
    Reading the discussion here I got the impression that we may report any bug when playing a community module that only occurs in EE version and it could be fixed in later patches. So, I would like to ask, is the game breaking bug (invalid teleportation sth) of prophet chapter 3 and Tales of Arterra chapter 2 discussed here in 2019 has been fixed?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/73680/nwn-modules-by-baldecaran-prophet-cave-of-songs-honor-among-thieves

As you can see, our developer just recently asked there: "Could someone confirm whether the reported issue with moving to the grave is still present in the latest dev patch? And if so, perhaps provide a repro savegame?"

So we think the issue should be fixed but we can't verify until users provide a repro savegame. Any question similar to "Do you know if X bug is still happening?" is hard to answer. It would be much more helpful if players played the X content and reported whether they got or not the X bug - providing a repro case, of course.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1166180/#Comment_1166180
    marcnivar wrote: »

As you can see, our developer just recently asked there: "Could someone confirm whether the reported issue with moving to the grave is still present in the latest dev patch? And if so, perhaps provide a repro savegame?"

So we think the issue should be fixed but we can't verify until users provide a repro savegame. Any question similar to "Do you know if X bug is still happening?" is hard to answer. It would be much more helpful if players played the X content and reported whether they got or not the X bug - providing a repro case, of course.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1166180/#Comment_1166180

Thanks for explaining, I didn't know he is developer. It's good to know the developer is aware of this bug and it is probably fixed. I will play this on EE.