Skip to content

Musings on the new xp cap and Multi's...

Before an xp cap removal mod makes this completely irrevalent, I have been doing some maths on multi classes.

I like multi's over dual... Basically I like being something other than human!

The xp cap, due to added game content will rise... My question is by how much? How will this effect my multi class characters?

A Fighter / Mage / Thief tops out with 2666666 xp in each class meaning levels will be 18 / 17 / 22.

If the xp cap is risen by another million to 9,000,000 this will allow a combo of 19 / 18 / 23 (although only 610,000 would be need to level up in each class.)

This is important as it will allow the F / M / T class to use those 9th level wizard spells!

So... will this stop the xp cap rising in TOB:EE? Or will it go through? I wan't to know sooner so I can take my character through to the end!

What are your thoughts on multis and the possible upper limit of the xp cap?

Comments

• KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I don't think they really need to raise the cap in ToB, I wasn't anywhere near 8m playing through with a full party and doing almost every quest... I think I finished just over 6m.

If they do raise the cap they need to add better HLAs for single class characters, because multis get way more benefit from raising the cap, and they're already more powerful at the end of the game.
    AnduinsandmanCCL
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    True... I'm thinking about a heavily modded game here I suppose.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Kaxon said:

I don't think they really need to raise the cap in ToB, I wasn't anywhere near 8m playing through with a full party and doing almost every quest... I think I finished just over 6m.

If they do raise the cap they need to add better HLAs for single class characters, because multis get way more benefit from raising the cap, and they're already more powerful at the end of the game.

I played with a full party and reached 8m well before the end of ToB.
    Senash
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Anduin said:

Before an xp cap removal mod makes this completely irrevalent, I have been doing some maths on multi classes.

I like multi's over dual... Basically I like being something other than human!

The xp cap, due to added game content will rise... My question is by how much? How will this effect my multi class characters?

A Fighter / Mage / Thief tops out with 2666666 xp in each class meaning levels will be 18 / 17 / 22.

If the xp cap is risen by another million to 9,000,000 this will allow a combo of 19 / 18 / 23 (although only 610,000 would be need to level up in each class.)

This is important as it will allow the F / M / T class to use those 9th level wizard spells!

So... will this stop the xp cap rising in TOB:EE? Or will it go through? I wan't to know sooner so I can take my character through to the end!

What are your thoughts on multis and the possible upper limit of the xp cap?

The XP cap for BG1:EE will rise. It's not unreasonable to think that the XP cap for BG2:EE-ToB will rise too assuming that there will be more added content for that part of the game. However, I think for the F/M/T it would be of little use...yes you would probably get level 9 spells with a higher cap but you would get them right at the very end of ToB unless you solo'd (in which case, it's already god-tier). Hardly worth it. Even the Mage/Thief gets level9s extremely late.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Has Overhaul actually confirmed they are raising the cap?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2012
    In bg1, yes it's been confirmed - although we don't know the level it has been set to yet.
    Post edited by ajwz on
    Quartz
    @ajwz What do you think is a reasonable limit? At present it is 161,000 in BG1 Plucking numbers out of the air...

200,000? This number would do nowt to extending the lvl achievable by all classes apart from Druids who would be able to get to lvl 10 if that was the new cap.

250,000? This number would let fighters, mages, rogues get another lvl.

300,000? Lets clerics get another lvl...

400,000? Now were getting silly...
  • PlasticGolemPlasticGolem Member Posts: 98
    Is the game too hard with the existing caps? My problem with mods has always been the extra experience and items added to the already generous allotment reaches silly proportions. The game is actually easier with all of the extra encounters and quests because the stuff that comes after them is geared towards lower-level characters. Even doing Watcher's Keep in SoA is enough to give any party enough power to walk all over the end part of the game, though the keep can be a little tough on sub-level 18 characters.

One of the mods I thought was a good idea was the stage-based caps, where a level cap was instituted for each chapter of SoA, ensuring the next stages wouldn't be overly easy, and also providing a disincentive to clean out every area for maximum XP rather than following what should be a fairly urgent story pacing. (Your character doesn't know they'll arrive in the nick of time to save Imoen, and so shouldn't spend a few months doing unnecessary side quests.)
    BrudeAnduin
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    Anduin said:

200,000? This number would do nowt to extending the lvl achievable by all classes apart from Druids who would be able to get to lvl 10 if that was the new cap.

Druids can already get to Level 10 with 161k. It's why Faldorn is totally badass at healing and summoning.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    There was a thread about the level cap already. I mean about musings about how high it will be. My bet would be 300000, since it would allow all classes to get at least one more level
    Isair
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Well I do enjoy soloing BG1 with a 10 swashbuckler / 11 mage, but that needs an XP cap remover, but then you just end up playing in god mode.
    Hmmm... God mode bad.

@PlasticGolem. That idea is total GENIUS!

Problem is... What level xp caps would you put on each chapter?

...One of the mods I thought was a good idea was the stage-based caps, where a level cap was instituted for each chapter of SoA, ensuring the next stages wouldn't be overly easy, and also providing a disincentive to clean out every area for maximum XP rather than following what should be a fairly urgent story pacing...

Umm... What should the xp caps be for each chapter? (My F / M / T is never gonna us timestop at this rate...)
  • PlasticGolemPlasticGolem Member Posts: 98
    I think the mod is still available at http://www.pocketplane.net/zyraen. There are different caps at different difficulty levels.
    I think that 300,000 would be a good cap in BGEE. This would allow many classes to gain an extra level, and also allows a 50,000 exp limit for dual classing to a fighter or mage while not losing out on level 9 / 10 in the second class (could do 7 Thief / 9 fighter or 10 wizard this way).

Pure druids would also be able to gain 12 levels, making them a lot more appealing to have in your group.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I think it'll be somewhere around 250k. Raising it any less than that wouldn't affect anything, raising it significantly more would give multi/dual class guys tons more power than single class brethren.
    And what is wrong with that :)
    Raising it to 250k won't do anything for paladins or rangers either. This isn't a multiplayer game where it matters if one player is more powerful than another, you can already completely remove EXP caps altogether using mods if you want.
    mlnevese