Skip to content

[MOD] Siege of Dragonspear 2 Baldur's Gate2:EE Item Upgrade - v2.0.5 released!

Comments

• Daeros_TrollkillerDaeros_Trollkiller Member Posts: 325
    Goruma wrote: »
    I felt reminded of the original WEIDU mods, which also aimed at completeness, persistence, and logical story-fitting. Good luck with your efforts. ;)

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of experience I try to deliver :)
  • ZeshinXZeshinX Member Posts: 88
    Out of curiosity, why was the Tongue of Burning Acid (+4 and +5) removed?
    ZeshinX wrote: »

Because I found a better way to implement that vision.

Because I found a better way to implement that vision.

Well alrighty then. Look forward to seeing your new vision for that. :)
  • stewelementstewelement Member Posts: 51
    Daeros, can't wait to play the mod and the changelog has me quite intrigued! I know you've put quite a bit of hard work into this mod and I'm certain it'll become a permanent addition to mine, and many others, mod lists. Thank you for keeping at it - you're almost there!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Sure, I agree with this approach. I've been playing the mod without reading the spoilers in the OP and trying to figure out everything on my own. Only thanks to your recent mod patch notes I've been able to understand what those ancient scrolls might be and how they affect the dragon scales. Also, I was able to fix a bug where shadow dragon blood wasn't dropped - I did know it was supposed to from the Cromwell dialogue but it didn't drop in the game. Everything else - I've been researching on my own. It's such a fun process when after every quest the first thing I do is visiting Cromwell for new recipe lines (and writing them down by hand on a piece of paper).
  • stewelementstewelement Member Posts: 51
    Downloading it now! Thank you Daeros!
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 58
    Good stuff. I was just thinking about suggesting a change for the shield of egons, since its upgraded versions seemed a little odd given what the play needed to do to obtain it. Looks like im doing a new install soon.

Do you know if npcs will use the new spells, and if/how mods like SCS will handle them?

You've done a pretty good job already of fleshing out the weapon types that were sparse or needed some late-game options, but If you feel like obviating Item Upgrade just a bit more I'd like to see some upgrade options for the companions' personal gear. Poor Rasaad has AC gloves in a game with gloves that give +4 to hit and damage.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I've been eyeing this mod for a while just because I like item upgrade mods, but since you're not giving documentation for a while, I'm going to hold off on playing with it because I'm not sure what the items' power levels are like.
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 58
    Flashburn wrote: »
    I've been eyeing this mod for a while just because I like item upgrade mods, but since you're not giving documentation for a while, I'm going to hold off on playing with it because I'm not sure what the items' power levels are like.

He has documentation on g3 https://www.gibberlings3.net/subpages/sod-to-bg2ee-item-upgrade/spoiler-items/ for the previous version, just not with the 2.0 changes. That'll give you a pretty good idea of the power level of the mod, which is rather high.

I can understand, but I recommend giving it a shot. You will be pleasantly surprised. Nothing is "god-mode" I shoot for balance.
    Fishmalk_1 wrote: »
    Good stuff. I was just thinking about suggesting a change for the shield of egons, since its upgraded versions seemed a little odd given what the play needed to do to obtain it. Looks like im doing a new install soon.

Do you know if npcs will use the new spells, and if/how mods like SCS will handle them?

I didn't implement them on NPCs, but I did add them in a way where NPCs *can* be made to use them from scripts, etc. Since the spell must exist before anything can use it, SCS would need to be updated to take advantage of my mod's spells, AFIAK.
    You've done a pretty good job already of fleshing out the weapon types that were sparse or needed some late-game options, but If you feel like obviating Item Upgrade just a bit more I'd like to see some upgrade options for the companions' personal gear. Poor Rasaad has AC gloves in a game with gloves that give +4 to hit and damage.

I think you'll like what I did with Poor Rasaad :)

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

Well, you can always peek into the .tra file to check item stats ;)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I can support what @Daeros_Trollkiller says, and probably @Tresset can confirm from what he's seen: new items are not OP, they are just alternate items to provide some freshness to the usual route of your favourite BG2 items. And item upgrades are costly and often not available right away. The upgraded versions are not OP either.
    Poking through EE Keeper at some of the items, gotta say, I'm a tiny bit saddened it appears some of the "stuff" is found only during the EE-specific NPC quests. I seriously dislike all of the new EE NPCs and never use them (aside from trying them all out when the EE's released), so their quest-specific areas are not accessible to me. I find they just do not fit well, overall, into the game (BG2EE anyway, they were less invasive in BGEE since there was very little NPC development there in the first place).

Oh well, to bad for me then lol.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    This one gets mentioned from time to time, but to me, I consider the new NPCs and their associated content as cannon, and I have no plans for an "alternate location" for those items. I know it loses me some points with folks, but I stand firm on this one :)

I think that's a fair stance even if most work by modders feel less jarring and more in theme with the game than Beamdog's content, as I am kinda figuring out Near Infinity myself I will take a look and see what I can do, hopefully something others can install but I haven't reached that point yet, I'm experimenting with stuff in my own install at the moment.

And I've done things to my game that some people would probably question my sanity for (like renaming Berserker to the Battlerager and making it exclusive to chaotic dwarves, and ah, locking off kits from dual classing entirely). It's kind of part of a quest to more heavily balance the game but that's kinda just working from my mindset, everyone will be different.
    edited June 2021
    hybridial wrote: »
    This one gets mentioned from time to time, but to me, I consider the new NPCs and their associated content as cannon, and I have no plans for an "alternate location" for those items. I know it loses me some points with folks, but I stand firm on this one :)

I think that's a fair stance even if most work by modders feel less jarring and more in theme with the game than Beamdog's content, as I am kinda figuring out Near Infinity myself I will take a look and see what I can do, hopefully something others can install but I haven't reached that point yet, I'm experimenting with stuff in my own install at the moment.

And I've done things to my game that some people would probably question my sanity for (like renaming Berserker to the Battlerager and making it exclusive to chaotic dwarves, and ah, locking off kits from dual classing entirely). It's kind of part of a quest to more heavily balance the game but that's kinda just working from my mindset, everyone will be different.

That's the beautiful thing about the modability of this game. It can be daunting at first, especially WeiDu. But if I can learn it at 40 years old, then surely anyone can :)

And, Maybe it's just me, but I never got the "jarring" from the added EE content, I was just happy to see new NPCs to interact and quest with. We all have our preferences.

That's the beautiful thing about the modability of this game. It can be dauting at first, especially WeiDu. But if I can learn it at 40 years old, then surely anyone can :)

Well, not everybody :p I tried when I was 30 and failed miserably. That's why I stick with translating stuff.
    Cahir wrote: »

That's the beautiful thing about the modability of this game. It can be dauting at first, especially WeiDu. But if I can learn it at 40 years old, then surely anyone can :)

Well, not everybody :p I tried when I was 30 and failed miserably. That's why I stick with translating stuff.

I never said it was easy :) and I had a lot of help from other modders along the way. I was just determined to figure it out. I still consider myself somewhat of a novice at it.
    Cahir wrote: »

I never said it was easy :) and I had a lot of help from other modders along the way. I was just determined to figure it out. I still consider myself somewhat of a novice at it.

Don't be so modest, you did a pretty bang up job with this mod. I have a habit of translating mods that I will play at some point and your mod is next in line, because it's exactly right up my alley. It will take some time though, there is a lot to translate here :)
    Poking through EE Keeper at some of the items, gotta say, I'm a tiny bit saddened it appears some of the "stuff" is found only during the EE-specific NPC quests. I seriously dislike all of the new EE NPCs and never use them (aside from trying them all out when the EE's released), so their quest-specific areas are not accessible to me. I find they just do not fit well, overall, into the game (BG2EE anyway, they were less invasive in BGEE since there was very little NPC development there in the first place).

'Tis all good. It's only a tiny sadness. :)
  • MidnightVoyagerMidnightVoyager Member Posts: 31

I'm tempted to look at how Convenient EE NPCs does it and try to copy that, but god knows if anything will come of it. Baldur's Gate modding is like half stuff I understand and half stuff that hurts my brain.
  • _DD__DD_ Member Posts: 43
    Congratz on the release. If you excuse me, now I will proceed to not read any description or readme until I play the game with the mod.
    _DD_ wrote: »
    Congratz on the release. If you excuse me, now I will proceed to not read any description or readme until I play the game with the mod.

I made that rather easy... at least for a little while :)
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Daeros_Trollkiller
    While you're documenting things, pweath mention what EE versions with which this is compatible (2.5, 2.6, etc.) That is a very NOT spoiler!