Skip to content

Heart of Fury

wavingbugwavingbug Member Posts: 59
Hello,

as far as I understood it Heart of Fury mode is intended as an option to replay IWD with an experienced party. When I completed IWD each of my party members had around 2,000,000 exp., my paladin had level 15 and the other members had similar levels.

Is it viable to export that party and start a new game with Heart of Fury difficulty enabled? One concern I have is that I start with all the items I aquired on my first playthrough. Will there be upgraded items of those in Heart of Fury or new different items? Or can I even upgrade those items somehow like you can do in BG2ToB? Because for me of course a big part of the game is getting new stuff to equip and without this component I fear that the game will get boring rather fast.

Or do you recomment just importing the previous party for their level but trash all the gear and aquire all of it anew? How is Heart of Fury supposed to be played?

Thanks for your time :)

Comments

• KatzerchenKatzerchen Member Posts: 61
    How is it "supposed" to be played?
    In my personal opinion all these games in all different difficulties are supposed to be played in what ever way or style brings the most fun and enjoyment to the player.
    Some of the best items appear in the game only once and you may want to have a second copy. Or you may have missed one or the other of the items which appear only in random chests.
    Depending on how much you are into challenges and how often you have played the extreme difficulties, you may want to try with your gear first to see how it goes and when it is too easy you still can re-start the run without (or just drop your more powerful equipment and continue half-naked).
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited June 2021
    wavingbug wrote: »
    as far as I understood it Heart of Fury mode is intended as an option to replay IWD with an experienced party.
    Heart of Fury mode is certainly easier to complete with an experienced party, but the intent is that you create a new party so you will be maximally challenged. However there are plenty of people who play it the way you are describing.
    Post edited by jsaving on
  • wavingbugwavingbug Member Posts: 59
    After reading about it more I decided to replay the game on Insane without the added XP and damage, just for the additional spawns. I figured that enemies just being damage sponges would get rather boring with time, but the added enemies to some encounters sounds fun and worthwhile.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    jsaving wrote: »
    wavingbug wrote: »
    as far as I understood it Heart of Fury mode is intended as an option to replay IWD with an experienced party.
    Heart of Fury mode is certainly easier to complete with an experienced party, but the intent is that you create a new party so you will be maximally challenged. However there are plenty of people who play it the way you are describing.

Actually, the original devs' intent was for Heart of Fury Mode to be played with a party starting at level 13 or higher. From the original Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter config:

n9v5nzxbo782.png

However, I'm not sure if they were intending players to start with all the equipment from a previous game.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I tried it a week ago... well... It's funny, at the begining, (my team -of 4 people- was totally overpowered, level 27 ), killing a simple orc will give you more than 2000 xp...
    But then it becomes boring, and you won't get new items and you won't be able to upgrade your stuff.

Maybe it's a bit more entertaining if your team is level 16-17, more challenging I guess.