Skip to content

[mod] Tipps NPC for IWD EE

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
edited May 2020 in IWD:EE Mods
i4kybb9s741c.jpg

Tips NPC is now available!

The mod adds a brand new companion to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. His name is Tipps Rattletattle; a halfling geomantic sorcerer. Turned to stone some years ago, he now may return to the world of the living and join the group lead by the Hero of Icewind Dale. The mod includes some friendship talks, situational discussions, interjections, new items and a romance for short races: if your main character is a halfling, gnome or a dwarf, something more than friendship may emerge. While this may be triggered by all PC's, the romance may be slightly easier for female characters, however a charismatic or wise male can also pursue a serious relationship (if racial restrictions are met).

Tipps may join the party next to the entrance to the Temple of the Forgotten God. Remember to buy a Flesh to Stone spell so you don't have to go back to Kuldahar.

Download
Forum

To use that mod, remember to install the Geomantic Sorcerer kit. It's available at Gibberlings Three: right here.

Want to experience even more talks? Install IWD Crossmod Banter Pack - it will add new banters mod companions. Check the list and description here.

Enjoy, everyone!
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
OlvynChuruRedRodentjasteyEekanImpThacoBelljmaeqmegamike15DawgliciousGusindatrinitelminster

Comments

• DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    I just picked up Tipps, and noticed he is silent. I just set his sound set to "Mage 2" but I was curious if he was supposed to be completely quiet.

BTW I am having a blast playing through with the different new NPCs!
    Thrasymachus
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    @Dawglicious - Tipps was supposed to be voiced, but just a moment before the release voice actor asked for more time and I didn't want to postpone release of that many mods because of it, so I've decided to release Tipps without the audio files. They will be added later :)
    DawgliciousThrasymachus
    edited May 2020
    @Dawglicious - Tipps was supposed to be voiced, but just a moment before the release voice actor asked for more time and I didn't want to postpone release of that many mods because of it, so I've decided to release Tipps without the audio files. They will be added later :)

Ah ok, I was worried I installed something wrong on my end. I'm sure his voice will sound good when it is finished :)

Oh and something to mention since I just found it: "That snake - a skilled mage no doubt, but she CERTAINYL was... or is, a damn snake. She played the part YOO, whispering of Talona and Sseth, cursing Kiputyyto."
    Thanks, will get rid of the typo when I'll be adding the audio :)
    Dawglicious
    I noticed that the Geomantic Sorcerer kit adds druid spells based off of what was available in BG more than IWD. Would you consider adding any other spells to Tipps' spellbook? This was mostly noticeable when I picked him up to use as my healer and noticed he does not have "Cure Moderate Wounds" (the level 2 healing spell).

I acknowledge that the kit is already EXTREMELY versatile and powerful, and that adding new spells is not at all "needed," again I mostly noticed when it came to having Tipps' as my main healing member and his lack of that level 2 heal spell.
    This is the kit thing. The mod uses G3 Kit as it is, with just one mini-quest (encounter?) that can something that normally would be HLA, but the way the class works is something I won't really change. But who knows, perhaps what you suggest will once become part of the original kit mod.

Anyway, Geomantic Sorcerer isn't supposed to be a druid, but combine arcane and natural powers without giving access to all spells/powers of both classes.

Cheers!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Kit mods are usually after npcs in install order. Should the Geomantic kit be installed before Tipps?
    Yes. The mod must first detect that the Geomantic Sorcerer is there, because it's both his kit and there are other references to the boost that is HLA in the kit mod, but here Tipps may get that boost in a bit different way.

Cheers!
    megamike15
    The new version is up! It includes a soundset and a romance theme! Enjoy!
    ilduderinoThrasymachus
  • StSofiaWiseguyStSofiaWiseguy Member Posts: 2
    I've installed all your NPC mods and they work great and smooth with any other mod I have thrown in. One tiny problem with Tipps though - when I remove him from the party he constantly forces dialogue with the MainCHAR about disbanding/rejoining. One hack I try is to leave him in a house in Kuldahar and exit before he initiates conversation. Has anyone experienced that or is it my mod/install order's problem?
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    I think that the crosssmod banter pack might not be working for Tipps.

At one point T'viy said something along of the lines of: "So you change the earth with your power?" (Or maybe "ground"?) I can't remember what precisely, but it looked like the comment was directed at Tipps. However, the dialogue abruptly ended (there was no reply).

Also, while T'viy and Dendjelion have bantered with each other, Tipps hasn't bantered with any other NPC. (This is a bit of a surprise, as I believe that he is supposed to have 10 exchanges with Dendjelion.)
    I'll look into this when I have a moment :)
    Thrasymachus
    New version of Tipps is up! :) In v2.0 I...
    -Added new scenery talk for Night of the Blinking Dead
    -Added a voice/name/biography fix via PID
    -Updated portrait
    -Provided traification
    ilduderinoThrasymachusThoriumbonewhiteglory
    Are the crossmod banters now working for Tipps?
    (Or perhaps I was mistaken in thinking that there was a problem -- I abandoned the game soon after I thought they weren't working.)
    edited June 2021
    I don't think I see any problem and I may need @AionZ to fix that... If it's not a local bug. Hard to tell, because scripts/talks look fine to me.
    edited June 2021
    Just to be clear: Tipps talked to the PC (quite a bit). But there were no Tipps-NPC talks (including Dendjelion, despite there being ten banters mentioned in the crossmod banter pack description).

The other companions (T'viy, Minerva, Dendjelion) all talked to each other.
    Yeah, I understood that, but I don't see any bug in this mod or IWD crossmod, but that may need a 2nd check and I may need to wait for Aion to help with that :)
    Thrasymachus
    OK no worries. Sorry for being a pest!
    edited June 2021
    You're not being a pest! I just am unsure if there is a problem with this and if there is a problem with that portion of crossmod talks, I am unsure what may be the reason :) There is also a chance his talks were last on the list and they would appear later :) There are many scenarios here that are worth checking.

If you give this mod another run, let me know if any banters appeared! :) Thanks in advance!
    Thrasymachus
    The reason I thought that there was a problem with Tipps' crossmod banters is that T'viy asked him something (at least I think it was directed at Tipps -- it was something along the lines of "changing the earth with your power") and there was no reply. The dialogue just stopped.

About a year ago I encountered a couple of similar problems: comments that seemed to be directed at T'viy and Oak-Maw were not getting any responses. I mentioned those problems here and they subsequently were fixed. So I thought that the same thing might be happening with Tipps.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the work you've done on these mods. Thanks to you (and AionZ) IWD has new life and feels almost like a new game! B)
    @Thrasymachus - I think you still misunderstand :) I do appreciate the report, I checked if I see the same problem there, but I do not, but it doesn't mean the problem isn't there. I am checking this and I hope that whatever this is, it's gonna be solved :) That is why I asked you to let me know if you try it out and you'll see anything new :)

And yes, you are right that this is talk with Tipps:
    CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1
    ~IsGabber("L#TIP")
    See("L#TIP")
    !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    !StateCheck("L#TIP",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    CombatCounter(0)
    !See([ENEMY])
    Global("L#TippsTviyBanter1","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN L#TVIYB L#TippsTviyBanter1
    ~You RESHAPE the GROUND.~
    DO ~IncrementGlobal("L#TippsTviyBanter1","GLOBAL",1)~
    == L#TIPB ~Well, yes. I have certain geomantic powers which allow me to not only control earth, but-~
    == L#TVIYB ~CONTROL EARTH?~
    == L#TIPB ~In a way, yes.~
    == L#TVIYB ~LIES.~
    == L#TIPB ~Well... no. It's true.~
    == L#TVIYB ~This... should NOT happen. Earth should be CHANGED, but not with such powers. With HANDS. TOOLS...~
    == L#TIPB ~And aren't such powers exactly like tools?~
    == L#TVIYB ~I...~
    == L#TVIYB ~ARGH!~
    == L#TVIYB ~You CONFUSE me.~
    == L#TIPB ~Confusion doesn't have to be bad.~
    == L#TVIYB ~Leave me. I... I don't know what to SAY.~
    EXIT

I thought that maybe a wrong file reference is there and that's why the talk breaks, but it looks fine.

Then I checked if banter files were correctly added to interdia and I saw it's lacking in my mod... but THEN I saw it's added in the crossmod itself:
    APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~L#TIP L#TIPB L#TIPB~ UNLESS ~L#TIP~

So it should work fine. So, I may need @AionZ to understand the problem and I will also need to check it yet again, perhaps in the game, on my own :) So yes, this will be investigated again, but for now, I haven't noticed anything. That's why I'm saying it both can be there, but also there is a chance that it was a local thing.

Meanwhile, you should try the new Kuldahar mod and take Karihi instead of Tipps :)
    Thrasymachus
    Okay, thanks for the clarification!

(I look forward to trying the new Kuldahar mod, by the way, but probably will wait until after I finish my current run through the BG trilogy. But I look forward to returning to IWDEE to try out the new mod and some NPCs I have't used in the past, like Orra and Minerva. :smile: )
    LavaDelVortel