Skip to content

Jaheira (this time with correct spelling)

FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
So, I decided for a change I would drop Jahiera from my party - wow is that somewhat painful to do. If you do it early on you get the major guilt trip about things never being the same, but then it only gets worse if you let Jahiera's Harpers quest progress forward. Now the guilt trip really kicks in... yikes! Better to cut things off as soon as possible I guess...
Post edited by FredSRichardson on
JuliusBorisovArviaAerakar

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    usually i wait until i get that sweetski ring of wizardry from one of her harper quests, ( and luckily its the first one you do when you go back to the harper hold ) after that, there isn't all that much treasure to be had ( although if you are quick on the draw with pick pocketing, you can steal a whole bunch of neato +2 protection items from terminsel when he shows up )

but other than that, no harm no foul, if you feel really bad, she drop her off in a room somewhere, where she will forever sit in contemplation and you will never have to hear her complaints, that is if you do not visit her again
    FredSRichardson
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yeah, I found it impossible to drop her. My favourite character in BG2.
    jsavingArviaFredSRichardsonZaxares
  • pvddrpvddr Member Posts: 38
    "I stood by you through a very difficult time" :'(
    ArviaJuliusBorisovFredSRichardsonZaxares
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    Don't. Don't you want me?
    You know I can't believe it when I hear that you won't see me
    Don't. Don't you want me?
    You know I don't believe you when you say that you don't need me...
    FredSRichardson
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    edited June 2021
    Great comments! Yeah, for this run my plan is to romance Viconia instead. CHARNAME is a Human Fighter dualed to Druid so I do need a cleric but not necessarily another Druid... I my try another run playing a Figher turned Cleric where I will keep Jaheira.

@sarevok57 - hah, yes, Jan chugged a speed potion and managed to clean out Terminsel. But that's a good point, I'm guessing the guilt trip drops down a few decibels if you dump her before she leaves the Harpers. That whole "How can you toss me aside after I left the Harpers for you!" thing is almost too much to take...! Well for a good aligned party anyway ?

EDIT: well no, the guilt trip is about the same right after dealing with the mercenaries in the Harpers hold. Hmm... out of curiosity I'm going to check to see how bad it is quite a bit earlier on. She has this great way of making you feel like a heel LOL!
    sarevok57
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    edited June 2021
    @FredSRichardson we think the same way on the timing of removing her. In a recent run I had planned to replace her after getting the ring of wizardry like @sarevok57, but I could not do it!! I felt too guilty, so she stayed in the party.

In my current run I also plan to replace her, as she does not fit the party ethos and I also want to romance Viconia so I have divine magic covered, so I did her curse quest and she is now hanging out at Harper Hold ruminating the loss of Khalid. It is still a guilt trip to remove her, but less guilt inducing now than later.

Agree with @Arvia on how great the game is at creating emotional connections with some of the NPCs. I often have minor guilt pangs with leaving Minsc behind, or major ones with Imoen, and even sometimes with not taking Aerie at the circus.

One question for the Jahiera experts, when is the point in her quest that she leaves forever if you remove her? Is it after the Galvery fight, or when exactly? I would still like that ring of wizardry!
    JuliusBorisovFredSRichardsonArvia
  • VanDerBergVanDerBerg Member Posts: 217
    Jaheira is one character I had in every BG1 and BG2 run I ever did (apart from obviously solo ones).
    Arvia
  • TheodreadTheodread Member Posts: 10
    Since you misspelled her name in the title, I guess she is not that important to you :neutral:
    FredSRichardson
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I do consider Jaheira an indispensible part of my canonical party in BG2, but it's kinda broken by the fact that I never take her in BG1 because I'd have to bring both her and Khalid and there's so many other more interesting NPCs I'd rather bring!
    FredSRichardsonArvia
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    @Theodread LOL! Well, either that or I can't spell...
    Aerakar
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Theodread LOL! Well, either that or I can't spell...

hahahaha, loving the new thread name hahaha
    AerakarBalrog99FredSRichardson
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    edited July 2021
    I've had the same issue for years and while I still play with her most of the time, I recently found something that works for me, RP wise.
    Just pretend she was never there in the first place. Maybe she wasn't part of your party, maybe she died against Sarevok or of torture by Irenicus like her husband, lots of options there.
    Mechanically, that means Ctrl.Y her as soon as I regain control of the PC after the Imoen dialog.
    (yes you miss her quest and the ring but I find that an acceptable tradeoff)

Also, as someone who's very used to play with SCS, that means not installing the component that makes the dungeon harder, it does get a bit frustrating with a smaller party :)
    energisedcamelJuliusBorisovArvia