Skip to content

[mod] Dendjelion NPC for IWD EE

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
edited May 2020 in IWD:EE Mods
pwravnsbly0n.jpg

Looking for new evil NPCs for IWD EE? Well, it looks like you just found one!

This mod adds a new companion to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition - Dendjelion. He's a halfling blackguard from Westgate. A crude person and a follower of Bhaal, the infamous Lord of Murder. A man who believes death may bring a change. Strong and vengeful. He came to Kuldahar in search of Noon - a knight of Lliira that he blames for killing his brother.

You may join Dendjelion in Kuldahar, on the snow-covered rock to the east from Arundel's home. It is suggested to join him early in game if you want to enjoy all the talks.

Download
Forum

Want to experience even more talks? Install IWD Crossmod Banter Pack - it will add new banters mod companions. Check the list and description here.

Enjoy, evil ones!
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
OlvynChuruRedRodentjasteyEekanImpThacoBelljmaeqMantis37DJKajuruZaramMaldovarSharGuidesMyHandmegamike15Gusindatrinit

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Awesome.
    Glad to see it's finally here, I can't believe I'm going to play Icewind Dale and hear my own voice.
    DJKajurujasteyLavaDelVortelineth
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    Thanks for your help @ZaramMaldovar and - no matter how unusual that sounds - enjoy yourself in the mod, hehe.
    ZaramMaldovar
  • CatcheJaggerCatcheJagger Member Posts: 5
    While doing some testing for a modded playthrough, I also encountered Dendjelion, among other NPCs modded into the game. In the brief dealings I had with him, I *think* he’s my favorite, though that might be because I am just very into this character conceptually.

Icewind Dale is a prequel to Baldur’s Gate, particularly now that Belihfet plays a role in the Bhaalspawn’s story as well. Like, they’ve always been connected, taking place on the same continent, sharing a publisher and game engine, but the shared antagonist really tied them together in a more direct narrative way.

I know there are efforts in the community to bring IWD into Baldur’s Gate directly, and that’s certainly an interesting and commendable objective, but I think projects like this do much more to really bring the two together in a more meaningful way that than just having the Bhaalspawn come up north to fight some guys. Here you’ve got a dude who, years before the Time of Troubles and the events of Baldur’s Gate, provides foreshadowing of and allusions to the events of the later games. Wonderful stuff, and I look forward to seeing more of him when I get to a proper full playthrough.
    LavaDelVortelbonewhiteglory
    I'm happy you like the idea and I really hope you'll take him on an adventure next time when you'll be starting a full run! :)

Cheers!
  • tangelo1023tangelo1023 Member Posts: 6
    Enjoyed this mod and the character. I liked the humanization of a darker character. One suggestion for future updates would be another grammatical passthrough. There seemed to be some missing words in sentences (small things like a missing "the). Other than that, great mod.
    Yeah, some more proofreading wouldn't hurt, but the text is already in a better state than it was when I wrote it. I'm not a native English speaker, so there's always a place for improvement in my texts :)
  • norQnorQ Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, that's probably one of my favourites right there - Dend just fits me on the conceptual level. I've always enjoyed evil companions more, and the idea of nasty "shorties" especially. :smiley:

Montaron has been one of my favourite companions since the beginning of my adventure with BG - partly due to the contrasting ideas his character is built upon. In my mind halflings are supposed to be those nice, welcoming fellows who enjoy living a peaceful life, smoking the pipe, sitting by the fire etc. And here we have a psychotic killer.

Dend's character seems to revolve around a similar idea - at least in my interpretation. A halfling blackguard, obsessed with the urge for revenge and spilling blood in the name of Lord Bhaal? Yeah, sign me up!

Really fun character, definitely worth investing time in a playthrough with him. Ah, it also need to be said he's got a fantastic soundset provided by @ZaramMaldovar

Thanks for all the effort put into creating this NPC! Keep up the good work, LDV!
    bonewhitegloryilduderinoZaramMaldovar
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @norQ
    Thanks, I try my best.
    I just updated the mod. Since v2.0, if you decide to side with Noon in the final chapters of your game, he may replace Dendjelion in your team so you won't feel like making this decision weakens your team greatly.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    To clarify, that means Noon will only appear if we keep Dendjelion in the team until then?
    Yes. Dendjelion is still the main part of this mod, but in previous versions if you sided with Noon, you would be left without a fighter, and now you won't be left without help, because Noon can take his place :)
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Now that I've been trying him, he's definitely an interesting character to have around. Love that the crossmod banter pack even had a conflict between him and the IWD NPCs - since so many of your other NPCs only appear later in the game I took them along in the beginning, for nostalgia's sake. And D. really broke my heart by what he did! But that's on me for wanting to try an evil playthrough, I suppose. Must soldier on.

Now, I have this habit of playing IWD as a prequel of sorts to BG, and while I previously played it with Gorion, this time I made an evil cleric called Alianna. ;) Now of course I wouldn't expect you to take any kit mods into account, but it would be nice to have the option to state that you know a bit about Bhaal or even serve him in the talks with D.
    Hey! Well, it's good he broke your heart, I will take that as a compliment :) I always want to make players feel something, as I too want that when I play games :)

While I rarely update mods that are already finished, but I will think about it. However, I am not planning on updating him right now. There is something else I would like to focus on.

I hope you will have a nice new IWD run :)