Skip to content

Euro 2020 - Discussion, Opinions, and Prediction game

2»

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2021
    No expert here and more gut feeling than knowledge, but I'm adding my predictions (or rather guesses) because it's fun.

Wales vs Denmark 0:1
    Italy vs Austria 3:1
    Netherlands vs Czech Republic 2:1
    Belgium vs Portugal 2:1
    Croatia vs Spain 1:0
    France vs Switzerland 3:0
    Germany vs England 0:1
    Sweden vs Ukraine 2:0

( Huh. Just noticed some matches are put in a different order than the others put in the plan I've seen, like Croatia vs Spain instead of Spain vs Croatia. Doesn't matter. I didn't confuse the numbers. I want Croatia to beat Spain :p )
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Darn. Judging from what people are writing here it looks like neither of my earlier guesses (Slovakia and North Macedonia) made this far. Ahh well :D
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Against the stream :)
    Netherlands vs Czech Republic 1:2
    Yup :)
    Pecca wrote: »
    Yup :)

Close enough ;)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited June 2021
    This tournament has so many surprises! I still can't believe France lost there and I have no idea who will win the upcoming matches.

I can only guess from now on:

Quarter-finals
    Friday 2 July
    QF1: Switzerland vs Spain (St Petersburg) 1:2
    I still don't think highly about this Spain team but then again, is Switzerland really ready to stop Spain after France?

QF2: Belgium vs Italy (Munich) 1:1 (maybe Belgium will progress in ET?)
    I can't see how one of the teams loses the match during the normal time. Remember this final between Wigan (managed by the current Belgium boss) and Man City (managed by the current Italy boss)? I do and hope something like that will happen again. If there is one person who knows how to stop the Manchini football, it's Martinez.

Saturday 3 July
    QF3: Czech Republic vs Denmark (Baku) 1:2
    This one is easier for me: from the teams left in the competition, I support Denmark the most. I think Eriksen is the true player of the tournament, if not the whole year, and I believe the team will continue to fight for him.

QF4: Ukraine vs England (Rome) 0:2
    England will play away from Wembley. I hope they won't celebrate finally breaking the curse of knockout Euro matches so much that they will underestimate Ukraine. I think Ukraine left too many efforts in Scotland and their players are exhausted. England is the only team to still keep a cleansheet.

7iohntp1ej87.png
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Ok, here is what I think will happen at this space and time:

Switzerland vs Spain: 0:2 (I think Swiss pushed their luck enough). This will be a relatively easy win for Spain.

Belgium vs Italy: 1:1 (Squadra Azzura will squeeze a late one during extra time, ending with 1:2). This will be very good with lots of chances for both sides. Both goalkeepers will have their chances to do their magic.

Czech Republic vs Denmark: 0:1 (both teams will be paralysed by the fact they reached that far. I predict, this will, unfortunately, be a boring game to watch). But Denmark will eventually score.

Ukraine vs England: 0:3 (Ukrainians done their best, but England will only play better from now on and will show their strength in this game. I believe a win vs Germany was a turning point for them. Keane will unblock his full potential here. Despite the predicted result, Ukrainians will make a stand - this will be more or less like a Portugal vs Hungary, but England will open the sack with goals a bit earlier than Portuguese.

So, my diviner skills said to me the course of action after the above concludes will be as follows (@JuliusBorisov just don't take below into account for the chart, I will provide my predicted results after the quarter-finals, this is just me playing king Zalathorm from Halruaa)
    1. Italy will beat Spain in the semi-finals (after a memorable battle, both teams will show their best football)
    2. England will beat Denmark on semi-finals (Denmark will run out of steam and England will be in its height here)
    3. England will beat Italy after a good game (they will play this match perfectly from the tactics point of view, Southgate will set them good for this match. Italians will be tired after the battles with Belgium and Spain and will be banging on the wall here)

4. I'll take a 100% prize and will be granted to use epic magic from now on. The legend of Cahir the Divine King will live on from now to eternity.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    All praise Cahir the divine king.

You have divened much, but the final stages seems to go down in a different way. Let med help you:

Switzerland vs Spain: 1-2
    Belgium vs Italy: 0:1
    Chech rep vs Denmark: 1:1
    (Denmark winning in the end).
    Ukraine vs. England: 0:2

In the semi finals Italy beats Spain and Denmark beats England. Italy will unfortunately end up as winners.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Switzerland vs Spain: 1-3
    Belgium vs Italy: 2:2 Italy wins with penalties
    Czech Republic vs Denmark: 2:2 Denmark win with penalties
    Ukraine vs. England: 1:3
    Long live the Divine King!
    [ [mutters under her breath how to stage a revolution against a delusional God King by sneaking into his castle and replacing all his servants with lizards, but then remembers that she likes Cahir and just pours a Potion of Clarity into his soup instead ]

As we have all seen in this tournament, nothing is predictable anymore.

Switzerland vs Spain 2:2, Switzerland scores again in ET, Spain goes home.

Belgium vs Italy no idea how to guess the score, I'll say 2:1 because I have to say something, but anyway I think Belgium proceeds.

Czech Republic vs Denmark 1:1, Denmark wins
    Ukraine vs England 0:2
    Against the stream vol. 2 :)
    Czech Republic vs Denmark 2:1
    I havent put scores on my predictions. So here goes:

Denmark looks by far the best team of the 4 remaining. I really cant see anybody even having a remote chance of prevailing against such a great team…. Says the Dane B).
    At this stage anything can happen - but I suspect that it will not :'(

Spain vs. Italy: 0:2
    England vs. Denmark: 2:0.

I will have to hope my predictions are wrong - and I will gladly forfeit my chances in this game for some Danish dynamite
    Ok, so... there you go :)

Spain vs. Italy: 1:2
    England vs. Denmark: 3:2

Farewell Denmark, it was a pleasure to see you in action.
    edited July 2021
    Spain vs Italy 1:3

England vs Denmark 1:0

I would love to see a surprise from Denmark, too. The fought like heroes, they have a good keeper, but England is very good and will be playing in Wembley again, with 60.000 spectators allowed. (A rather unfair advantage if you ask me. England only played the 1/4 yesterday away from home, if I haven't missed anything.)

Edit: Denmark played all group matches at home, too, apparently. My mistake.
    Post edited by Arvia on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Actually, all four teams in the semifinals played all their group games at home.

England - 3 x London
    Denmark - 3 x Copenhagen
    Italy- 3 x Rome
    Spain- 3 x Seville

I hope UEFA and FIFA won't use this approach anymore, it's such an unfair advantage. No fly fatigue, for example, compared to teams who had to travel to, say, Baku.

England is in an even better place: except for the 1/4 game, ALL of their games are on Wembley. Essentially, it's like the tournament takes place in England, for England players.

Mind you, these 4 weren't the only teams to play all group games at home: Germany and Holland also did it, but couldn't reach this stage.

Spain vs Italy 2:2 I will go and vote for an unlikely draw. While I don't think highly about Spain yet, this team has trouble losing games. IIRC, Spain has yet to trail in their game, and by recovering against Croatia in the ET they showed their character.

England vs Denmark 3:0 England, unlike France, seems to be releasing its potential and just barely, I would say: for example, Sancho started the first game only in the 1/4 match, and he's such a star. Denmark is brave, though, maybe they will pull a miracle? But I don't see England conceding 2 goals here, - so far they've kept their clean sheets without issues.

3rl4gvcw7js8.png
    Italy - Spain 2-2 spain goes through
    England - Denmark 3-1
    Hmm. Didnt like the English football team and fans - last night did nothing to change that…

And since I always had a (very) soft spot for the Italians, I am cheering for the them - more than ever.

My predictions for the finals: Italy vs England: 2:0.

Forza azurri <3
    edited July 2021
    I like this England team and will certainly support them in the final. It’s a young team without egos, very determined, with lots of talent and future potential.

Italy vs England: 0:1

Possible outcomes:

If Italy wins, @StummvonBordwehr gets 25 points for guessing the winner, I get 10 points for guessing the vice-champion.
    If England wins, @Cahir gets 25+10 points for guessing the winner and the vice-champion, he also gets 10 points already for guessing 2 finalists.

Current standings:
    hdswsarmsj7e.png

So basically, we already got our champion, @Cahir, both for the whole prediction game and match-by-match predictions. The only question that remains is who will be getting the 2nd place.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Denmark fought very bravely and scored the first and, until now, only goal of the tournament against England!

Not sure if, after watching repetitions and reading analysis, that penalty was really necessary, but considering the overall performance, the win was definitely deserved.

I will be supporting the English team in the final, because I liked how they played (can't hold it against them that they kicked out Germany, that was deserved), although I'll be 1 against 3 in my household with my opinion and might need to cheer quietly *packs white and red facepaint into the holiday luggage* :p

As for the score, initially I thought I was going to say 1:2, because I'm expecting there will be quite a few free kicks, but Donnarumma is a very good keeper and I doubt England will be ready to receive more goals, either. So I'll say

Italy - England: 0:1

Also, preparing a banner for King Cahir ;)
    So basically, we already got our champion, @Cahir, both for the whole prediction game and match-by-match predictions. The only question that remains is who will be getting the 2nd place.
    Also, preparing a banner for King Cahir ;)

It was a pleasure, guys and gals :) I admit, my first thought was Italy, but then I changed my mind and voted for England.

As for the final:

Italy - England: 1:1 (and England wins in penalty kicks)

Italy wins in a hard-fought 2-1 in extra time.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2021
    I'm going to hope for Italy winning after that laser nonsense. Shining a laser in someone's eyes can do permanent damage.
    edited July 2021
    elminster wrote: »
    I'm going to hope for Italy winning after that laser nonsense. Shining a laser in someone's eyes can do permanent damage.

It was an irresponsible and dangerous thing to do, for sure.
    Anyway I think it's important not to judge or punish the English team for the crazy actions of some hooligans, or ultras, however each country calls them. Such things happen everywhere, sadly, and must be punished, but that's not on the team.
    edited July 2021
    Wow, actually, we have our champion of the overall prediction game. It's @StummvonBordwehr!!!! Congratulations to you and the Italy team. You have won with the very last kick of the tournament! +25 points for the winner meant you've leap-frogged @Cahir, who still kept his win in the match-by-match predictions. Sorry that I was premature and forgot the winner gets 25 points, not 15.

Hope this win will serve as a testament - never give up, and fight until the end. Just like Erikson's heart. What a tournament this has been, and how it has united people.

I got 10 points for guessing the vice-champion and saved myself from embarrassing 53 points which was the worst match-by-match predictions result.

owclu9cnpl8e.png

This has been a great tournament and a great forum game. I feel the next World Cup - which will happen very soon - is going to be a fun tournament as well, with Argentina winning Copa America against Brazil in Brazil just yesterday. Let's see how it will go there, with lots of exciting matches awaiting. Just imagine: Argentina vs England, Italy vs Brazil... I want it to happen already!
    I did the math before the match, so I knew I could clinch a late comeback if Italy did their best. And luckily they did <3

In all fairness I believe the Italians where the deserved winners. They played the best football and perservered against the strongest opposition (Belgium and Spain - ranking 1 and 6 in the world).

I am game for the world cup 2022 quiz.