Skip to content

Some questions

1) Shambling Mound summoned by druidic spell 'Stalker' has 90% resistance to crushing damage. Must it be 100% (as it is stated in the AD&D Monster Manual)?

2) Elementals (arcane & divine summons) of all types has 1 ApR (attack per round) but fire elemental has 3 ApR. Is it intended (if Monster Manual don't lie all elemental must have 1 apr)? If memory serves in original IWD it allways has 1 ApR like all others.

3) Water Elemental summoned by arcane spell 'Conjure Water Elemental' dosn't have any resistances at all. Fore example, druid in water elemental form has 75% resistance to all physical damage (plus some othes resistances).

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    which AD&D monster manual you are referring to?

the enemies in IWD do not need to match any stats from the official AD&D monster manual, ( some changes to monsters were deliberate when the game was made for whatever reason, whether it was balancing issues or if the devs just felt like changing them ) but their stats should match the "monster manuals" that beamdog made ( although it looks like they didn't make one for IWD )

or if the spell description says a monster's stats, then the monster either should match the stats of the description or the description needs to be changed for that monster's stats
  • kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
    @sarevok57

These are all 'lyrics' and so on, but # 2 is definitely a bug.

About #1 & #3 I would like to hear an opinion of representatives of Beamdog.

In any case, thanks your for sharing your opinion.
    yeah, that does seem a bit odd that the fire elemental would get so many more attacks, although if i'm not mistaken i believe they do not deal as much damage, so perhaps that could be one reason why they have more attacks? but even so if that was the case, 2 more attacks does seem a bit high
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Fire elemental does quite a bit less damage:
    Fire Elemental: 3x 1d8 + 1d4(fire)
    Air Elemetnal: 1x 1d20 or 1x 2d10
    Earth Elemental: 1x 4d8
    Water Elemental: 1x 4d8

Though, either the Druid Shapeshift should conform to 3 APR, or the APR should be brought down on the others while the damage gets an increase.
    edited July 2021
    @kjeron

Yes, as one of the proverbs of my country says 'here even Devil himself will break his leg' - in this game some fire elementals have 3 ApR, some have 2 and a some more have only 1 ApRs. One type of earth elemental (that one from of a druid form) and one water elemental (CYWATERE.CRE) has 2 ApR.

I don’t have an old version of the game, I don’t know the game very well either, so I ask the local experts/Beamdog representatives which one is corret - 1 ApR or current 'irish stew' state?

Edit. Grammar.
    Question:

'Potion of Mirrored Eyes' only protects against petrification and petrification gazes. Not quite sure about last one, since resoure SPIN994.EFF (which is referenced in the file of this item) is absend.

Maybe it potion should also protect from other gaze attacks (such as Umber Hulk and Jackal Warriors gazes in qurrent game) as it do BG1/2?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I can't speak for the IWD version, but the BG version of the Potion of Mirrored eyes definitely blocks gazes - anything that uses the GAZE projectile. Basilisk petrification, nabassu death gazes, revenant paralysis gazes.

This does not include umber hulk confusion. Or any of a beholder's rays. You'd be protected against the petrification ray because the potion also grants petrification immunity, but that's it.
    jmerry wrote: »
    I can't speak for the IWD version, but the BG version of the Potion of Mirrored eyes definitely blocks gazes - anything that uses the GAZE projectile. Basilisk petrification, nabassu death gazes, revenant paralysis gazes.

This does not include umber hulk confusion. Or any of a beholder's rays. You'd be protected against the petrification ray because the potion also grants petrification immunity, but that's it.

i tried using the mirrored eyes potion against the nabassu death gaze semi recently and it doesn't work ( with the tanar'ri fight in ulgoth's beard )
    edited July 2021
    I can't speak for the IWD version....
    In IWD(ee) game that potion blocks ONLY petrification.

Hence the question may arise - how many sources of petrification are in this particular game? The answer is - exactly one and it is beholder creature (from add-on 'Trials of the Luremaster').

That is, this is some kind of extremely specialized potion, which, by the way, was in the main game, without add-ons (i.e. in this case it was completely meaningless, right?).

And technically, not everything is allright there. As I already said a just above, besides immunity to petrification ('immunity to effect (101) - petrification (134)') the file of this potion (POTN38.ITM) contains the following line: 'protection from resource (318)' and the source of this resource is a file 'SPIN994.EFF' that simply does not exist in current version of the game.

All this taken together begs the question - is this a bug or not? At the moment, I have a persistent feeling that this is a bug.
    ..but the BG version of the Potion of Mirrored eyes definitely blocks gazes...
    All this is known to me.

However, in BG2 there is incredible mishmash/confusion with all these 'gazes' - part of the obvious 'gazes' (umber halks confusion gaze, demogorgon insanity gaze, paralyzing gaze of nabassi(?), etc.) in game files coded not as a 'gaze' type, but a AOE 'spell attack' type.

Ie, in my opinion, it is all horribly bugged.

...Or any of a beholder's rays...
    At least everything is in order here - rays are rays, and petrification is petrification. I have no questions at all for this part.

sarevok57 wrote: »
    i tried using the mirrored eyes potion against the nabassu death gaze semi recently and it doesn't work ( with the tanar'ri fight in ulgoth's beard )
    Sorry that i am answer instead of @jmerry , but it is in BG1(ee) 'Potion of Mirrored Eyes' works correctly, at least it should be. I checked through NI.

It's just that potion has a short duration, perhaps you did not pay attention to the fact that a duration of potion, at some point, has already expired?

Edit. Some spelling errors.
    Post edited by kotophey on
    @kotophey yeah i just tested it now, and the death gaze is stopped by the potion, perhaps it was the spell instead i tried back in that previous play through that didn't work?
    edited July 2021
    @kotophey ...perhaps it was the spell instead i tried back in that previous play through that didn't work?
    Who knows? :)

I just glad that at least in BG1(ee) 'Potion of Mirrored Eyes' works as intended ;)

Edit. Spelling error.
    Nabassu have a death gaze, which is blocked. Their paralyzation ability should not be a gaze.
    Demogorgon has two, beguiling gaze, which should be coded as a gaze (but isn't), and Insanity Gaze, which should be closer to an "Aura of Fear/Insanity", not a gaze.

As for IWD potion, the description clearly reflects the different functionality, so even if it's relatively useless and in need of a buff, I wouldn't consider it a bug.
    kjeron wrote: »
    Nabassu have a death gaze, which is blocked. Their paralyzation ability should not be a gaze...
    I have no idea how this 'nabassu' should paralyze its targets. The online 'Monstrous Manual' does not say anything about this, and I have no other sources of knowlege about montsers in AD&D. I suggested that it can 'hypnotize' its target by his gaze. Whether it is or not, I do not know.
    ... and Insanity Gaze, which should be closer to an "Aura of Fear/Insanity", not a gaze...
    And the word 'gaze' in the phrase "Insanity Gaze' does not confuse you? What makes you think it must be an 'aura'?
    As for IWD potion, the description clearly reflects the different functionality, so even if it's relatively useless and in need of a buff, I wouldn't consider it a bug.
    This potion will protects form threat that was not in game (in origianl)? Just in case, let me remind you that in the original (without add-ons) it was senseless to protect against petrification, because there was NO ONE source of this threat.

Moreover the potion is definitely contain an error (see my post above). Why you deny it is not clear to me.
    kotophey wrote: »
    This potion will protects form threat that was not in game (in origianl)? Just in case, let me remind you that in the original (without add-ons) it was senseless to protect against petrification, because there was NO ONE source of this threat.

actually, there was only ONE thing that could cause petrification to you in IWD, and it was a trap in dorn's deep ( in malavon's area ) one of the traps on the "ground eyeballs" would petrify you if you sprung it

but yeah, other than that, useless
    kotophey
    ... it was a trap in dorn's deep ( in malavon's area ) one of the traps on the "ground eyeballs" would petrify...

Really? Well, live and learn :smile: Thank you!
    And the word 'gaze' in the phrase "Insanity Gaze' does not confuse you? What makes you think it must be an 'aura'?
    Sorry, was looking at wrong edition. Both should be gazes - Beguiling Gaze from the left head, Insanity Gaze from the right head.
    @kjeron
    No need to apologize, it's okay. Who is without sin, right? ;)

I think that I could correct all these "gazes" of coresponding mobs to the 'actual gazes', but such moments as with this 'nabassu' confuse me a little - who knows what it should works? Is it mast be a gaze, aura, spell or 'somesing complitly different'? :(
  • RamenRamen Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2021
    how can i change race of my character in mid-game?
    @Ramen
    As far as i know it can be done by editing your save files.

For this you can try to download 'EE Keeper' (third-party software).

Then with this one open saved game, select character (scroll bar under portrait) that you want to change and in tabs 'Cahracteristics' and 'Appearence' make yours changes. Then save (EE Keeper will offer you save under a new name).

Load you modifyed save and check if all works as you intended. If not you allways can load old, unchanget file.
    Ramen
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Most of the racial bonuses should update automatically if you change a character's race mid-game. Short races' bonuses to saves won't update until you level up; if you want them right before then, you might have to update saves manually.
  • RamenRamen Member Posts: 2
    @kotophey thank you, it works