Skip to content

Should a good character pay the fee to Gaelan Bayle of Valen's mistress?

I'm terribly afraid of spoilers, but this decision seems to have been thrust on the player without any context... I can't seem to roleplay my decision because I don't know who this creepy graveyard lady is, nor do I want to support shadow thieves... So what should a goody-goody chaotic good hero character side with? The thieves or the creepy graveyard creeps?

Comments

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    First off, I wouldn't classify chaotic good characters as goody-good. That's reserved for lawful stupid Paladins. Chaotic good is more of an "ends justify the means" sort of good, which really makes your decision a lot easier. (I don't know how a PC Paladin could justify either, except by necessity)

So, on the one hand, you have a guild that, while brutal and violent, generally doesn't generally want to kill people - as that's bad for business. The few exceptions are for people who have betrayed the guild while being a trusted member.

On the other hand you have a "guild" that you witness, repeatedly, killing people for no other reason than giggles or because they refused to join. Oh, and they are vampires. That isn't necessarily a disqualifier, but it's pretty clear that these aren't your "Interview with a Vampire" vampires. While your character can't possibly know the extent of their activities, it's pretty obvious from the first time that you meet the "creepy graveyard lady" that she's not snacking on rats and small game.

For a good-aligned character, it always seemed pretty clear to me.
  • SBlackSBlack Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2021
    Bhodi is very evil. You're saying there is no context, but it's pretty obvious what she is and that it's not someone good characters would associate with. Some goody-two-shoes characters will also be very unhappy if you try to side with her. Even as an evil character it is difficult to justify.

Ultimately they are both evil people. The Shadow Thieves try to portray themselves as somewhat harmless at first, but they are involved in a lot of killing and torture. You can rationalize that as the least bad option and say that you're only using them. There is still the option of eliminating them later, though not as part of a quest or anything (the Quest Pack mod has a component to make that more official).
  • SomeOnesBodySomeOnesBody Member Posts: 25
    SBlack wrote: »
    Bhodi is very evil. You're saying there is no context, but it's pretty obvious what she is and that it's not someone good characters would associate with. Some goody-two-shoes characters will also be very unhappy if you try to side with her. Even as an evil character it is difficult to justify.

Ultimately they are both evil people. The Shadow Thieves try to portray themselves as somewhat harmless at first, but they are involved in a lot of killing and torture. You can rationalize that as the least bad option and say that you're only using them. There is still the option of eliminating them later, though not as part of a quest or anything (the Quest Pack mod has a component to make that more official).

There is even a dialogue option where Bodhi makes fun of me for being put off just because she's "creepy looking". But alright, shadow thieves it is, then, lesser of two evils and whatnot.
    When replying earlier I thought there was a mod that included a truly good alternative to siding with one of two bad guys. It eluded me then. But I remembered right:
    https://gibberlings3.github.io/Documentation/readmes/readme-alternatives.html

This adds a way to get help from the paladin order. But don't get me wrong. Installing a mod like that on a first run is not a good idea.

The "All Things Mazzy" mod also says that you can make some amends there for some of the stuff you do the Shadow Thieves.
  • ThunderburpThunderburp Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2021
    Digression, OP can ignore:
    Maurvir wrote: »
    Chaotic good is more of an "ends justify the means" sort of good
    That kind of approach is more likely to be Neutral or Evil than Good-aligned IMO. I'll agree some of it may leak into good alignments, but this has little to do with the law-chaos axis because laws can and do regularly enshrine this ends justify the means concept.

Chaotic means one doesn't have particular attachment to laws and rules (even set by oneself), and their behaviour is circumstance-based.[1] Lawful characters may or may not agree with ends justify the means type of laws (this agreement helps position them on the good-evil axis), and chaotic characters may or may not behave in a ends justify the means fashion of their own will (which will help position them on the good-evil axis). "Means" is understood as something with dubious morality, i.e. not unlawful, but "ungood".

[1] That means there are few dogmatic constraints on that person's actions, who will follow their heart. If their heart is of the purest good, then their actions will be "gooder" than an equivalent Lawful Good person, whose heart of purest good will be bent up to a point by external rules that cannot be as good-aligned.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Harry Potter is Chaotic Good, as he breaks laws and tradition willy nilly in order to do good/follow his conscience, but at least tries to reduce collateral damage.

Hermione Granger is Lawful Good, especially in the beginning of that saga, but later becomes Neutral Good as she sees it necessary to break laws in order to do good, but she does seem conflicted in doing so, so she balances on the threshold of lawful/neutral good.

Hagrid is Neutral Good. He will break and bend the rules in the name of good/good conscience, but he is no agent of chaos.

Malfoy is chaotic evil, as he will do whatever it takes to advance his own goals. His goals may not be evil, but his complete disregard for anyone but himself makes him evil and chaotic.

Voldemort is Neutral Evil. There is method to his evil schemes, it doesn't appear very chaotic at all. He will break laws and has no regards for them at all. His goal is evil, he does evil to reach them.
    Neutral Evil will do evil for the sake of evil. It is likely the "evilest" of all alignments.

Snape is Lawful Evil. He will bend the rules, sometimes even break them. But he largely stays within the Lawful sphere, both adhering to and enforcing law/rules. He is thusly mostly Lawful, but he isn't very nice.. he is in fact quite malicious and rude towards the students and he has his fair share of skeletons in the closet. No good person could do what he does.. and he has a redeeming story arc in there, but in spite of that he spends most of his time being antagonistic.
    Lawful Evil typically uses laws/rules in the dirtiest of ways to get ahead in life, and bends them way into the grey area and then some when it suits them - but somehow manages to twist things around in order to avoid legal repercussions.

tl;dr

Harry, Hermione and Hagrid would all choose shadow thieves over the vampires.

Voldemort and Malfoy would side with whomever seemed like the most powerful ally at the time.
    Voldemort would probably choose Vamps as they are closer to what he is, but Malfoy is a wild card.

And Snape.. Snape would probably find a way to screw them all over and go brood in a corner.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    You could try installing the Alternatives mod, which offers a non-evil pathway: https://gibberlings3.net/mods/quests/alternatives/

I haven't tried it myself but it might provide a reasonable solution. Personally I tend to go with the Shadow Thieves on the basis that they are the lesser of two evils.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Rather than installing mods to add choices you find agreeable, you might consider playing the hand life deals and then making the choice you find most consistent with your character's philosophy. Where is it written that because you believe there ought to be a good-aligned force capable of helping you, the setting must therefore be changed to provide one?
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    The principal obstacle to having any Lawful authority, good or otherwise, that's willing to help you get to spellhold is actually quite simple.

It's a Prison Break. Imoen was lawfully arrested and the Athkatlan authorities don't know about Irenicus's usurpation of Spellhold until after you've gotten back with that news.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    All you should remember is paying Gaelan gives you a ring +2 and a drain immunity/cast speed amulet, paying Valen gives you nothing at all
    SirBatince wrote: »
    All you should remember is paying Gaelan gives you a ring +2 and a drain immunity/cast speed amulet, paying Valen gives you nothing at all

When you pick the other side you can take his stuff from his dead body
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Pokota wrote: »
    The principal obstacle to having any Lawful authority, good or otherwise, that's willing to help you get to spellhold is actually quite simple.

It's a Prison Break. Imoen was lawfully arrested and the Athkatlan authorities don't know about Irenicus's usurpation of Spellhold until after you've gotten back with that news.

At best it explains why lawful organization directly involved with Athkatla's government won't assist.

But it a misunderstanding of the alignment system to suggest that lawful organizations and individuals won't break local laws in certain situations. Being lawful means you follow some sort of consistent code on how to pursue your goals. A lawful good character would be in favor of strong laws to enforce what "good" behavior and respect those laws, but it doesn't mean he has to local laws which he sees as actively harmful, since they are unjust or even evil.

That should also be clear from the fact that highly hierarchic and disciplined criminal groups are often lawful evil, and actively break the local law - it's more that the strongly enforce their own internal law within their group.

So a lawful organization fighting slavery in Athkatla (while it being legal) or actively opposing the imprisonment of Imoen is definitely not outside the realm of the possible.

The Clergy of Mystra is a good example for a pre-dominantly lawful organization which is likely to take issue with mages using magic in self-defense against their abductor being imprisoned in a hellhole without any sort of trial.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited August 2021
    In game lore, most organizations lack the means to get you to Spellhold no matter what their alignment might be. Moreover, the regulation of arcane magic in Athkatla was officially put in place to protect civilians from harm, and Imoen was arrested for magically battling Irenicus in a way that could potentially have harmed bystanders. The fact that Imoen is your friend, was in a crazed state, and didn't know she was breaking the law might be viewed as mitigating circumstances in some good-aligned quarters. But still, it shouldn't be especially surprising that the organizations most willing to help you are the ones who aren't concerned about laws, are in especially dire need of a boost from you at this point in time, and don't have moral qualms about manipulating you to achieve their own aims along the way.
    Post edited by jsaving on
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    SBlack wrote: »
    SirBatince wrote: »

When you pick the other side you can take his stuff from his dead body

4 chapters later. Lol
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2021
    You mean the same chapter? Before you sail you get the quest to overthrow the shadow thieves and you get to amulet and ring
  • wukewuke Member Posts: 113
    It might be harder for a LG character to justify siding with STs who are known to be "evil to an extent", but for a CG character I would go "Screw it, if they are that bad I'll destroy them later myself"
    I believe you can visit the graveyard but not choose not to work with them? Your can go check then decide
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I wouldn't actually call the "Alternatives" mod a more good option. Its a pure genocidal, "Kill em all." Note that most Shadow Thieves are pickpockets and fences, crimes that do not warrant trial-less execution. Killing them would be an act of murder. Its very telling when your contact for the mod is a noble who is actively working AGAINST not only the laws of the city, but also the wishes of the Radiant Heart, as they do not want large sale slaughter on the city streets. If anything, I'd say its more evil than siding with the Shadow Thieves.

As for the "Cowled Wizards are the legal authority", its a bit more complicated. They bribe the council to avoid any overhead. They nominally legal, but circumvent all consequences and responsibilty by illegal means. Even the most lawful/lawful character would see merit in bringing them down a notch.

Also, Snape is lawful Good, fight me.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    wuke wrote: »
    I believe you can visit the graveyard but not choose not to work with them? Your can go check then decide
    Yes, you can visit the graveyard and turn the vampires down there. Several good characters will advise you to, and some of the lawful good ones will flat out leave the party if you do choose the vampires. They're not at all subtle about their evil.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I wouldn't actually call the "Alternatives" mod a more good option. Its a pure genocidal, "Kill em all." Note that most Shadow Thieves are pickpockets and fences, crimes that do not warrant trial-less execution. Killing them would be an act of murder. Its very telling when your contact for the mod is a noble who is actively working AGAINST not only the laws of the city, but also the wishes of the Radiant Heart, as they do not want large sale slaughter on the city streets. If anything, I'd say its more evil than siding with the Shadow Thieves.

As for the "Cowled Wizards are the legal authority", its a bit more complicated. They bribe the council to avoid any overhead. They nominally legal, but circumvent all consequences and responsibilty by illegal means. Even the most lawful/lawful character would see merit in bringing them down a notch.

Also, Snape is lawful Good, fight me.

I'd be willing to say LN for Snape, but LG? Not sure I see that...
    @Balrog99 I don't know how frowned upon spoiling Harry Potter would be at this point, but think about his goals and what he was ordered to do. His actions and goals line up with good pretty perfectly. His attitude isn't friendly, but there's a reason that "good is not nice" is a trope.
    @Balrog99 I don't know how frowned upon spoiling Harry Potter would be at this point, but think about his goals and what he was ordered to do. His actions and goals line up with good pretty perfectly. His attitude isn't friendly, but there's a reason that "good is not nice" is a trope.

He also had to use deception frequently and head a pretty evil(ish) house (Slytherin). Now that I think about it, True Neutral might be a better fit for him. He seemed to be pretty pragmatic, which is a good descriptor for TN.
    edited August 2021
    Balrog99 wrote: »

He also had to use deception frequently and head a pretty evil(ish) house (Slytherin). Now that I think about it, True Neutral might be a better fit for him. He seemed to be pretty pragmatic, which is a good descriptor for TN.

Deception isn't inherently evil though, as well as being explicit orders from a superior, so it was lawfully followed deception. I could also probably go on a whole diatribe about predjudice against Slytherin because wizard Hitler just happened to belong to it in the past.

*edit* Maybe this should be split into another thread. I kinda went way off topic.

Deception isn't inherently evil though, as well as being explicit orders from a superior, so it was lawfully followed deception. I could also probably go on a whole diatribe about predjudice against Slytherin because wizard Hitler just happened to belong to it in the past.

*edit* Maybe this should be split into another thread. I kinda went way off topic.

Seems like forever since I've been able to argue with you! My Irish side has gotten soft in the interim...

Seems like forever since I've been able to argue with you! My Irish side has gotten soft in the interim...

As iron sharpens iron ;)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

As iron sharpens iron ;)

"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"