Skip to content

[mod] Hommet NPC for IWD EE (thread includes Sword Coast Legends spoilers)

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
edited August 2021 in IWD:EE Mods
zx2yh3hbo0g5.png

I'm happy to announce my new NPC: Hommet!

In need of a unique necromancer from different times? Meet Hommet Shaw, one of the Sword Coast Legends. Let him join your group after he lands in Icewind Dale as a result of a bizarre magic surge that sent him back in time. He isn't new to the world of adventures and has already faced powerful enemies. In the future, the villains he fought will try to invade the Sword Coast and cause problems in Luskan and its surrounding areas.
Hommet is a deadly blazing necromancer of chaotic good alignment. While he used to be neutral, he became a hero and revealed that his heart isn't as cold as those of the undead he usually summons. He'll join the party only if you decide to return to the Vale of Shadows after your main character hits 540 000 experience points.

This mod was created in memory of another game: Sword Coast Legends, and mentions events from this game. So... you may still get some spoilers. Not many, as Hommet wouldn't want to cause any time paradox! Anyway, consider this mod more like a late goodbye to a title that died a few years ago.

Still, the mod does not offer a boring puppet. It comes with dialogues, items and even three new spells Hommet may use. So... if you like necromancers with a good sense of humor, get this guy and show him what you're capable of. Join forces and save Icewind Dale from evil.

Download link
Forum

Thanks to @Go_ForTheEyes and @CamDawg for their help and n-Space along with Digital Extremes for creating Sword Coast Legends.
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
Go_ForTheEyesCahirThrasymachusilduderinoMantis37IllustairAaemforeverjasteybonewhitegloryStummvonBordwehrineth

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Another pleasant surprise!
    :smiley:
    It's great to have all these companions and new areas for IWDEE. Thanks so much!
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    Thanks! This one joins a little bit later and... well, those that played Sword Coast Legends may enjoy him a tiny bit more than others, but it's not like you must know SCL story to join him and understand what's going on :)

Cheers!
    ilduderino
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I’ve been meaning to play IWD1, but still haven’t after all these years. So it’s good to know that I have these NPC mods waiting for me when I do get to play IWDEE. But I’m surprised that I’ve never heard of this Sword Coast Legends till now. Sad that I didn’t get to try its single player mode (I read it has one). Anyway, thanks @LavaDelVortel keep ‘em coming!
    Yep, SCL had single player and it had some good parts, even though the game received bad, fixed or so-so reviews. However, I think they (devs) did not deserve such fate. It wasn't that bad, just probably everyone expected D&D experience (including me) and the game had little to do with D&D system. Just like "Betrayal at Baldur's Gate" isn't exactly a D&D system game, but something else. Anyway, I though it would be fun to write something in memory of that title :)

Cheers
    He's now included in the IWD Crossmod Pack! Enjoy!
    AciferilduderinoThrasymachusineth
    I really enjoyed this companion -- Hommet is hilarious!

Thanks for creating this wonderful mod.
    I tried to mimic his Sword Coast Legends attitude :) I'm glad you had fun working with him :)
  • DracleathDracleath Member Posts: 9
    Hey I was starting a new playthrough, just wondering a bit when the best time to pick Hommet up is? For a normal 6 person party IIRC to hit 540,000 you need to basically be on the doorstep of Lower Dorns deep right? Is that where his content starts or is it better to play with a smaller party to get him earlier? Does he have HOW content?
    edited March 2023
    He is certainly a smaller NPC, so it's not like you will have a ton of talks, but there is something for both main campaign and HoW. As for XP... well, remember that I also released 6 quest mods, the newest one being Snowytoes, which starts after Dragon Eye, so it comes with some XP... But Hommet certainly joins sometime after you pass the middle of the game, after Severed Hand, I guess? I really don't know how to estimate that properly :o Maybe @Thrasymachus will remember when he reached the point and joined him... Remember, however, that Thrasymachus played with Hommet before I released Snowytoes Hamlet.
    Hommett joined my party before I had finished the Severed Hand (I remember him commenting on Larrel's civility).

But I only had four characters in my party (including the PC) and was using the "hard" setting (which grants more experience points).
    edited March 2023
    Ah, maybe I need to run some quest mods and/or play hard then. After Dragons Eye I was nowhere near that on normal/6 characters.

Maybe the xp requirement is just a bit high? I know you don’t want him popping up before Dragons Eye is done though.

Also as a side note it was my first time taking Tviy and he was pretty great. Llana also.
    No, the requirement is set right. It's fine for me if he for example joins after the whole Severed Hand, too. Plus, if you had Snowytoes Hamlet installed, it would be after the Dragon Eye where you could follow the new questline.

Hommet is a character from a different game. He already saved the world once. Making him weaker than he already is (I already had to lower his level) wouldn't feel right for me. Furthermore, he has less talks so it's actually normal he joins way later. He is like an easter egg NPC, a little something for the fans of Sword Coast Legends.

I'm glad you're enjoying the other NPCs, though! Hope you'll like what's there (...yet to be discovered).
    Ah so I’m not missing much story by picking him up right before going over to HOW?

I never played SCL but he seemed cool and its nice to have a mage option that isn’t Kahiri (not that she isn’t awesome just did a playthrough with her already).
    No, you won't. The Severed Hand has just one optional comment when you enter the area (mostly for those that somehow managed to reach that XP due to the lower number of party members), but it's literally 2 lines. Then, there is one talk for Upper Dorn's Deep. IIRC, there are more of these in Lower Dorn's Deep. The base talks are timered and they can happen no matter where you are. There are like 2-3 talks in HoW. There are some PIDs that allow you to hear more about his story, if you want, but they are PIDs so the player could decide when to enjoy those (there may be some time required between some of those, but it's in-game time, so that's nothing that rest won't fix :P )

Remember that it's not only Karihi and Hommet. Tipps is also an option and may fill the gap while you wait for Hommet to become available.

Cheers!
    The only thing with Tipps honestly is he gets such a crazy number of spells (both known and castable) I have a hard time keeping track in the spell interface.

I just went with Ina as a stand in, honestly I didn’t realize how great bard spell progression is, she only really seems to be one or two top
    level spell slots behind where a mage would be at the same xp.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 482
    Dracleath wrote: »
    The only thing with Tipps honestly is he gets such a crazy number of spells (both known and castable) I have a hard time keeping track in the spell interface.
    I suggest looking at this mod then : https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/68958/mod-bubbs-spell-menu-v4-5-4/p1