Skip to content

Gnoll Stronghold spawning overkill?!

Ecountered 30 gnolls on the Dynaheir level alone...

Is it just me or has the game gotten much harder over time XD

I'll literally turn a corner and all of a sudden 10 of em will be were I last was!

Literally had like 8 weapons break on me so far and used up all of my ranged ammo and health potions.

I don't remember it being like this a few years ago. :'(:'(:'(

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Did you go there later, with a larger/higher level party this time? Because the number of spawned gnolls scales with the level/number of the party. There's a big difference between going there ASAP and finding two gnolls per spawn point, and going there later and finding four or even more per spawn point. Not that the kind of party that gets the latter is likely to be challenged by any number of basic gnolls.
  • ManFromTheFizzManFromTheFizz Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2021
    jmerry wrote: »
    Did you go there later, with a larger/higher level party this time? Because the number of spawned gnolls scales with the level/number of the party. There's a big difference between going there ASAP and finding two gnolls per spawn point, and going there later and finding four or even more per spawn point. Not that the kind of party that gets the latter is likely to be challenged by any number of basic gnolls.

Well playing on hard (Just to see what it's like) and I started at the bottom and the second I went to sleep Minsc started attacking everyone so I HAD to finish the mission before resting again, could not visit any towns or go anywhere.

And 1st act so almost all of the metal weapons are melting so people are running out of good equipment to use.

DID find out that if Minsc is knocked out then Dynaheir doesn't have to join the part so that was a +++ plus.

I'm still there as we speak there are literally like 12 Gnolls spawning on the stairs leading down and I'm running out of supplies...
    jmerry wrote: »
    Lolz main character died again!

Can't sleep because they'll respawn all over again XD.

SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM THIS GNOLL HELLLLL
    Holy crap FINALLY made it out :s

Didn't get 10x encounters when resting this, will bring 10x the amount of weapons and ammo with me so that everything doesn't rust away X D.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    You need to buy some magical weapons. They don't break.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Are you wandering back and forth to trigger spawn points multiple times?
    You need to buy some magical weapons. They don't break.

It's almost like I'm dirt poor boy why didn't I think of that!?!?
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Are you wandering back and forth to trigger spawn points multiple times?

I'm literally just exploring everything, I'll go from a main area, to a side area, turn around back and there will literally be like 6-9 of them. Happened like 3 times.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    In some areas, enemies will respawn at certain trigger points after a while, and at the gnoll stronghold in particular. Playing on Hard increases the number of spawning enemies. So try to avoid running back and forth on the same way multiple times, and since the gnolls have that nasty mechanic to go around and attack your weaker companions and have long reach with their halberds, it doesn't hurt to use places like the narrow stairs to set up a choke point so that you don't get flanked. Ranged weapons are always good to have, and if you plan to continue on Hard or higher difficulty, you might want to get crowd control spells like Sleep, Horror (or Wand of Sleep/Fear) or Web as soon as possible. And of course, as mentioned above, carry some spares and get magical melee weapons as soon as possible.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    On those throwing axes - nonmagical throwing axes won't break in melee either. Weird, but true.

Foreign weapons - katana, ninja-to, wakizashi - also won't break in melee. If you want a story reason, it's that they were made elsewhere from good iron and imported. That's not likely to come up unless it's your protagonist or you recruit Safana, though.

But really, the best tactic for hunting gnolls is to use bows and bring a lot of arrows.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Also spamming the spell Sleep.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Also, useless advice at this point but important if you play again: Next time, pick up Minsc when you're ready to go after Dynaheir only, to avoid his timer going off on you.
    edited August 2021
    Arvia wrote: »
    Also, useless advice at this point but important if you play again: Next time, pick up Minsc when you're ready to go after Dynaheir only, to avoid his timer going off on you.

Was resting alot for clerics and mage, and did not know how much time it was before he was set off X D.

Played a early save to see what charmed Dynaheir said and had 4x easier a time!

Couldn't leave since the next rest raged Minsc so I couldn't recharge any of my spells or go back to any shops.

I also lost most of my metal weapons because I explored the caves before going North so avoided that this time.

Also my last save put me back all the way to Beregost so FUG save scumming!!!

Think I just got SUPER unlucky with the spawn rates on gnolls for some reason . . .
    Also spamming the spell Sleep.

Ran out of spells and couldn't sleep because of Minsc rage, also needed to defend my spell caster with Burning Hands and Minor Drain.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Looks like spell selection may be your main problem as disabling foes with the sleep spell is a much, much better defense that burning hands and minor drain.