Skip to content

Portrait Problem

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
edited February 2020 in BGII:EE Mods
Since the 2.5 update when creating new portaits in 210x310 dimensions and use them for characters the image only shows in the Character Sheet panel. It doesn't auto re-size in-game and shows up as a (?) silhouette. Is there any way to fix this?

cgkllnnz6nlf.png

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    how many letters are in the portrait name? did you also try using a capital "L" as the last letter in the name?
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    how many letters are in the portrait name? did you also try using a capital "L" as the last letter in the name?

6 Letters including the ending L for the 210x310.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    try copy pasting another one except make it end with an "S"
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Honestly, I've had problems for years with this and despite intensive testing I've never found rhyme or reason to it. I've also found that adding a portrait can cause other custom portraits to black out in the character portrait selection menu.

Just keep renaming the file - making sure it ends with an 'L' - until it works. I've also found that saving a file directly into the portraits folder can work versus copying and pasting, but, again, not always, and I couldn't tell you why.
    Noloir

No dice, unfortunately. Before this happened I remember installing a mod that gives NPCscharacter portraits before deleting ii's override file. I wonder if that may have anything to do with this.
    Honestly, I've had problems for years with this and despite intensive testing I've never found rhyme or reason to it. I've also found that adding a portrait can cause other custom portraits to black out in the character portrait selection menu.

Just keep renaming the file - making sure it ends with an 'L' - until it works. I've also found that saving a file directly into the portraits folder can work versus copying and pasting, but, again, not always, and I couldn't tell you why.

Did you happen to use any mods involving character portraits by any chance?
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

This, plus do another ending with an "M". ;)
    Noloir
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Noloir wrote: »

I’ve never used portrait mods.

Without portrait mods you only need the ‘L’ suffix for charname portraits. If you’re using custom portraits for NPCs, I believe you just need ‘M’ and ‘L.’
    Noloir
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    Is there a chance the portrait is saved 32-bit bmp? I think 24-bit or lower are acceptable in EE. The last time I tried to include a portrait in one of my mods I had a similar problems, then I used 24 bit and it was fine. I may be wrong, but I think 16-bit bmps were used before EE and 32 are "too much" for both old and new.

Unless I'm wrong, but check it. It may be the thing.
    NoloirSanctifer
    Is there a chance the portrait is saved 32-bit bmp? I think 24-bit or lower are acceptable in EE. The last time I tried to include a portrait in one of my mods I had a similar problems, then I used 24 bit and it was fine. I may be wrong, but I think 16-bit bmps were used before EE and 32 are "too much" for both old and new.

Unless I'm wrong, but check it. It may be the thing.

This was the problem! Converted over to 24-bit and is working just fine now. Resizing automatically and all! Thanks alot!

cif168e9l1up.png
    sarevok57Sanctifer
    Noloir wrote: »

I’ve never used portrait mods.

Without portrait mods you only need the ‘L’ suffix for charname portraits. If you’re using custom portraits for NPCs, I believe you just need ‘M’ and ‘L.’

Apparently above 24-bits the game struggles with the image quality. Scaled the bit size and it works just fine now. Thanks for the suggestions.[
    OrlonKronsteen
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    You're welcome!
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    Without portrait mods you only need the ‘L’ suffix for charname portraits.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but this is not actually correct: see https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Portraits#Enhanced_Editions

In fact, in the default, unmodded game, you shouldn't need any suffix at all.