Skip to content

Solo Dwarven Defender on LoB difficulty

I never played SoD before. ? I started with a solo Dwarven Defender (by removing everybody from my initial party) on LoB difficulty. I like Icewind Dale and Heart of Fury mode, it has motivated my choice. In my HoF experience, Dwarven Defender is a unique fighter type able to make honest melees with big groups of tough enemies. ⚔️?

Well, LoB doesn't give as many XP as HoF, the progression will be slower. ?
StummvonBordwehrXDarkStrikerX

Comments

• YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    Oh, well, the XP cap will probably remove some fun. ?

P.S. Btw, I'm playing on Nintendo Switch. ?
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited August 2021
    Hmm, I won the first massive battle with Sarevok's followers but it seems that I could also avoid it. LoL ?

However, I've chosen highmastery in axes. I will now restart choosing rather the highmastery in hammers (better vs skeletal undead in catacombs). ??
    edited August 2021
    Name: Beowulf (NG)
    STR = 18/97, DEX = 17, CON = 19, INT=WIS=CHA=10
    sword+shield: 2 pips; war hammers: 4 pips
    principal weapon: Ashideena+2 (and +1 additional electrical damage)

Currently, I'm playing trio with Dynaheir and Jaheira who somehow survived (I wanted to continue solo and didn't pay attention to other members of my party ?) in the initial battle with Sarevok's followers.

Tough fights on LoB difficulty with undead in catacombs. ? Dwarven Defender of lvl 7 can beat 1-2 strong enemies in melee, but definitely not inseparable groups of 15-20 ones, so Dynaheir and Jaheira are quite useful as distant support members. ?

So far, the strongest vanquished enemy: Mummy (3000 XP). ⚔️❤️‍?

P.S. In IWD (Heart of Fury) Mummy gives 18,000 XP. ?
    Post edited by Yigor on
    I have finished the Prologue in catacombs. It was tough. Big groups of powerful undead with level draining on highest difficulty are frightening for a little fighter of level 7. ??

Well, Dynaheir's Web and Haste spells were quite useful. ? There is also Hold Undead scroll at the end of catacombs. ?? Summoning is not as useful as in HoF, invoked monsters are too weak for LoB difficulty. ?

Strongest vanquished enemies: Unsleeping Guardian and Wraith (4000 XP). ⚔️❤️‍?
  • XDarkStrikerXXDarkStrikerX Member Posts: 102
    Best of luck to you! Just so you know, SoD has some of the hardest battles in the saga (yes even ToB), even totally impossible for some classes if playing solo so don't be surprise to come to a stalemate. Playing with a party, it is always possible with some very specific tactics.

Biggest advice i can give you, make many save slots, especially before leaving for the next areas/chapters. SoD is linear so the previous group of reachable areas are unreachable as soon as you progress to the next one. You won't be able to go back to pick items.

Summons are still extremely strong by the way, it's just that SoD enemies are even stronger but they have their utility until the very end. Since i don't want to spoil you anything and that you're experimented with the combat style already, some level 4, 5 and 6 of summons that certain classes can get are still very useful.
    YigorStummvonBordwehr
  • McGollumMcGollum Member Posts: 22
    I think 2 things on this:
    • Playing solo is best done with a Cleric-Thief, so you don't miss anything, as the break-open script of fighters is not fully implemented... Disarming traps can also avoid reload.
    • The backstories aka side quests per companion take a bit of the linearity out of BG-SoD. Without them each replay is pretty much only defined by luck rolls in combat, or the absence of those (bad luck).

Beyond that: Cool! I loved the times, when solo-play was still possible and dwarves are one of the real classics. No, I gotta care about `my precious´, as down in the hood & chilling with the homies just doesn't pay me. ;)
    Yigor
    Best of luck to you! Just so you know, SoD has some of the hardest battles in the saga (yes even ToB), even totally impossible for some classes if playing solo so don't be surprise to come to a stalemate. Playing with a party, it is always possible with some very specific tactics.

Biggest advice i can give you, make many save slots, especially before leaving for the next areas/chapters. SoD is linear so the previous group of reachable areas are unreachable as soon as you progress to the next one. You won't be able to go back to pick items.

Summons are still extremely strong by the way, it's just that SoD enemies are even stronger but they have their utility until the very end. Since i don't want to spoil you anything and that you're experimented with the combat style already, some level 4, 5 and 6 of summons that certain classes can get are still very useful.

Thanks for these advices and wishes! ? I don't fear stalemates. Since I'm perfectionist, I often restart games if I discover something imperfect in my constructions. ?

The Prologue in catacombs already surprised me by its difficulty on LoB. Well, it's comparable with IWD1/HoW on HoF when U start at lvl 10 in Lonelywood and go to fight with barrow wights on the Burial Isle.

I'll probably use your advice and take 1-2 invokers/summoners to assist my Dwarven Defender. ?
    XDarkStrikerX
    McGollum wrote: »
    I think 2 things on this:
    • Playing solo is best done with a Cleric-Thief, so you don't miss anything, as the break-open script of fighters is not fully implemented... Disarming traps can also avoid reload.
    • The backstories aka side quests per companion take a bit of the linearity out of BG-SoD. Without them each replay is pretty much only defined by luck rolls in combat, or the absence of those (bad luck).

Beyond that: Cool! I loved the times, when solo-play was still possible and dwarves are one of the real classics. No, I gotta care about `my precious´, as down in the hood & chilling with the homies just doesn't pay me. ;)

I played IWD and BG series 20 years ago. ? Now, when Enhanced Edition added various kits (in particular, Dwarven Defender), I like to test them all. Usually, I do it in IWD where (without XP cap) U can get nice dual-classed human kits (e.g. Berserker/Cleric or Kensai/Thief) of lvl 30/29.

It's my first SoD attempt. It would be cool to remove that annoying XP cap. ?
  • McGollumMcGollum Member Posts: 22
    Dear @Yigor, I also had played the originals, more than once, of course. But, on Android I was... I purchased SoD, but did not agree on the prices of BG EE & IWD EE. Further, I knew my hardware & income remain low, so BG3 will not be. Oh, and yeah, I was usually broke during the special offer phases, so I missed those opportunities EACH TIME.

EXP cap: Yes, and possible. There are several mods, which do work on SoD. I remember the long talks with @Gusinda, as he helped me even on making PC mods get properly adapted to Android! ;)

Best mod, for me, which I remember was adding a Drow Assassin to my companion list, for it allowed me to play a mod-sorcerer... I still died a lot, cheating or not. ;)

I sure hope your dwarven defender outmatches GIMLI Gloinson from LOTR on the triumphs.

YOU made me crave a racial choice in Planescape Torment now...
    Yigor