Skip to content

Little things that annoy you in RPG

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
edited September 2021 in Off-Topic
So here is a question I don't think I've seen asked here, what are some little things that annoy you in RPG, it can be eastern or Western since I know some of us play both types while others tend to like one and hate the other.
A peeve of mine and this tends to be something both types of RPG, for a game that suppose to be about role playing I've seen very few ever take they class you chose into consideration or even class advancement for story elements and plot point.

Oh look magical creatures, a summon, a magical storm is happening...now let's have some random npc just information dumb on me everything about what and why it's happen. What's this? You are a level 20 wizard who can cast level 10 spells who has a large wealth of knowledge on all things arcane or spiritual and can probably break down better YOURSELF what's going on just by looking at the scene or atleast let my character participate in the talk and not just by asking stupid questions by actually making statements and observations that the npc reacts to as if it was a real person and didn't know that or over look that but nope...

You're a vampire hunter and vampires are attacking the city? So instead falling back on this is your literal specialty and the walking the lead role in this conversation,let's have the npc just do all the talking and you ask pointless questions when better time could've been spent with the pc give instructions that could've saved lives.

I get it, it's all flavor that doesn't take away how fun the game maybe but it's flavor that I personally thing actually makes it all better in my case and really makes me care for for my own PC than him just being the main character.

Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    My pet peeve about RPGs isn't so much about this or that published game, but rather about worldbuilding in general. For example, I've been working on my own fantasy world for a while, and I'd like to incorporate cultures that are influenced by real world cultures like Ancient Egypt and China. The problem is that when I've discussed this with other people, they usually say things like "OK, but what you're doing is basically cultural appropriation. You're taking certain elements from a given culture and you're exoticising them."

I totally get that. The problem, however, is that if I don't do this, if I only take elements from European mythology, then I could just as easily be accused of perpetuating eurocentrism. So, this is like being between a rock and a hard place, you have two choices and they both suck: option 1 is cultural appropriation, option 2 is eurocentrism.

Of course, I could just say "Well, I'll do whatever I want". But that's not the point. At a theoretical level, there's an actual paradox here, and I have no idea how to solve it.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    m7600 wrote: »
    My pet peeve about RPGs isn't so much about this or that published game, but rather about worldbuilding in general. For example, I've been working on my own fantasy world for a while, and I'd like to incorporate cultures that are influenced by real world cultures like Ancient Egypt and China. The problem is that when I've discussed this with other people, they usually say things like "OK, but what you're doing is basically cultural appropriation. You're taking certain elements from a given culture and you're exoticising them."

I totally get that. The problem, however, is that if I don't do this, if I only take elements from European mythology, then I could just as easily be accused of perpetuating eurocentrism. So, this is like being between a rock and a hard place, you have two choices and they both suck: option 1 is cultural appropriation, option 2 is eurocentrism.

Of course, I could just say "Well, I'll do whatever I want". But that's not the point. At a theoretical level, there's an actual paradox here, and I have no idea how to solve it.

Ignore the consequences and realize you can't please everybody. The people who would be most offended probably don't play video games anyway...
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Ignore the consequences and realize you can't please everybody. The people who would be most offended probably don't play video games anyway...

I get that, but I feel like it's an interesting theoretical problem nonetheless, and it would be nice if I (or someone else) could come up with a solution to it. The way I see it, one could make the case that non-European influences function as checks and balances. Instead of seeing their incorporation as cultural appropriation, one can instead see them as democratizing the fantasy genre, which arguably tends to be monopolized by European mythologies. Why shouldn't we have sphinxes and bixies next to manticores and basilisks? Why shouldn't we have imaginary cities that have architectural styles reminiscent of Ancient Egypt and China next to cities that look like Medieval European ones? These are just some of the questions that I keep asking myself. I know that these things have been done to death in countless RPGs, most of them successfully. But there's a new wave of criticism that I think makes some good points, actually. The recent controversies over Orcs and Drow are an example of this, but there's more to it. I think that the ball is now in our court ("our", in the sense of whoever thinks fantasy is a cool genre, despite all of the criticisms that can be levied against it), and it's up to us to keep this genre relevant.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    ...I rolled my eyes when I saw "cultural appropriation" everything freaking stupidity, by that logic nothing will ever get made...

Oh you're white, but are you of Irish decent? No? So you can't use anything from Celtic mythology or you're culturally appropriating their stuff.

Oh you're not German? You better not touch those grim fairytales then!!!

You're black but not Yoruban? You better stay away from the Orisha.

Its effing stupid...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    DragonKing wrote: »
    ...I rolled my eyes when I saw "cultural appropriation" everything freaking stupidity, by that logic nothing will ever get made...

Oh you're white, but are you of Irish decent? No? So you can't use anything from Celtic mythology or you're culturally appropriating their stuff.

Its effing stupid...

That's not cultural appropriation anymore than feminazis are feminists. A lot of dumb people will make that argument, but its a straw-man example at best.

Its effing stupid...

Yeah, I think I understand where you're coming from. The thing is, that calling a problem "stupid" doesn't solve that problem. Maybe I'm looking at this in a different way because I'm used to dealing with "stupid" problems in my line of work (philosophy). For example, consider the following puzzle: if you have a heap of sand, and you remove one grain, is it still a heap? Of course it is. Remove another one, then another one, until there's none left. Is it still a heap? Of course not, there's no grains. So far, so good. Here's the question: when did it cease to be a heap? When you removed the last grain? But a single grain of sand is not a heap, it's just a single grain. Did it become a heap when you added two grains? No, because two grains of sand are not a heap, they're just a pair. So, when does a small collection of sand grains become a heap? Which grain is the one that makes the difference? This is admittedly a stupid problem from the point of view of common sense, after all, who cares? But theoretically, this problem motivated the development of fuzzy logic, and that logic has real world applications, for example it has been used to make more efficient washing machines. I'd say that the problem of cultural appropriation vs eurocentrism, without aspiring to similar results, does have the potential of motivating the creation of new fantasy worlds. If anything, they might provide new sources of entertainment.
    @ThacoBell
    This is a talk for politics channel not here, so I'm leaving it at this, except the amount of ish I've seen called cultural appropriation not including the times I've been called out for "cultural appropriation" I've seen the so called "strawman" used this way. How many uses of the strawman does it take to break a camel's back?

And this is just the things I deal with anecdotally... Let's not even mention other forums of creativity that I don't know the ends and out of such as music and fashion where it probably got tossed around the most for clothing choice, hair styles and such.
    Here's a good example of the new wave of criticism that I was referring to, a critical reading of "Oriental Adventures", a classic supplement to D&D, from the mid 80's, written by Gary Gygax himself. The guys from The Asians Represent Podcast have a lot of interesting things to say about that supplement, and they make a lot of fair points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFpDXR5uaGA

Its effing stupid...

Yeah, I think I understand where you're coming from. The thing is, that calling a problem "stupid" doesn't solve that problem. Maybe I'm looking at this in a different way because I'm used to dealing with "stupid" problems in my line of work (philosophy). For example, consider the following puzzle: if you have a heap of sand, and you remove one grain, is it still a heap? Of course it is. Remove another one, then another one, until there's none left. Is it still a heap? Of course not, there's no grains. So far, so good. Here's the question: when did it cease to be a heap? When you removed the last grain? But a single grain of sand is not a heap, it's just a single grain. Did it become a heap when you added two grains? No, because two grains of sand are not a heap, they're just a pair. So, when does a small collection of sand grains become a heap? Which grain is the one that makes the difference? This is admittedly a stupid problem from the point of view of common sense, after all, who cares? But theoretically, this problem motivated the development of fuzzy logic, and that logic has real world applications, for example it has been used to make more efficient washing machines. I'd say that the problem of cultural appropriation vs eurocentrism, without aspiring to similar results, does have the potential of motivating the creation of new fantasy worlds. If anything, they might provide new sources of entertainment.

It's a heap as soon as it's too much of a hassle to count the damned things!
    edited September 2021
    I think that Planescape: Torment is the best example of how good a fantasy world can be when you go way outside the box. That game doesn't have any eurocentrism, nor cultural appropriation of any sort. So it's indeed possible to escape the situation of being between a rock and a hard place... You just have to make something like Planescape: Torment. Easier said than done! True, the Planescape setting already existed before the video game, but it was the latter that really showcased the setting's potential, IMHO.
    Maybe "cultural appropriation" isn't the right term here. I think that the word I'm thinking about is "stereotyping". You can certainly take inspiration from other cultures and incorporate them to your game, I think that nearly everyone can agree on that. The problem is when it's done in a lazy way, by using stereotypes instead of doing some research. For example, in games that are inspired by Ancient Egypt, the laziest thing to do is to just throw in some pyramids, mummies, a sphinx and then call it a day. But there's a lot more that you can do. An example is what Anne Rice did with her books about vampires. No one (to my knowledge) had made Egypt the place of origin of vampires before Anne Rice. Are there vampires in Egyptian mythology? Maybe not, but she made it work. You can see a hint of this influence in Balder's Gate 2, since the vampires have their headquarters beneath a pyramid in the graveyard district.
    So, I've been holding back, since usually when I find something in an RPG, its not a little thing. But I think I have one that's annoying, but not a deal breaker for me:
    When a setting's races are all, or nearly all, humanoid. I'll also add settings here that have a healthy number of non-humanoid races, but none of them are playable (Hello Mass effect).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited September 2021
    one thing i find a bit laughable in RPGs is the ability to "raise dead". I love how when your characters bite the dust it's just a quick spell or even ITEM and they're back to normal like nothing ever happened, but then you get a scenario like in bg1 where gorion dies and hull apparently went out to grab his remains and bring them back to candlekeep and no one had the decency to revive this guy? wouldn't the harpers pitch in to help bring him back to life? its not like he was "chunked" or anything, and wasn't gorion a high ranking member of the harpers? man the harpers definitely need a better health plan

or even in bg2 with the wellyn kid in the graveyard, it is entirely possible that you could have raise dead by that moment and it would have been neat as an RPG element to bring him back to life to he could be with his parents again ( perhaps giving your team a +1 to REP ) but nope, if you are an NPC sucks to be you

or nalia's father for example, lol, sorry nalia for losing your pops, but damn girl, he's RIGHT THERE, chillin ( literally ) on that weird pilar thing, not chunked, probably "just" bit the dust, and seriously YOU ARE A WEALTHY FAMILY, does no one have the funds to revive this guy? how high of a level could he have possibly been? i would say a best this guy was level 7 if that, and yet even up to level 10 it ONLY costs 800 gold to revive someone, which is less than one suit of platemail, and yet when you help nalia clear out the fortress she gives you a whopping 10650 GP LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, couldn't use even a fraction of those funds to revive your dad? seriously, the health/insurance program of the realms in complete shite

oh, oh! speaking about more RICH people.... Anomen, like come on buddy, come on buddy. Does your father get that crunk that he can afford to own such a huge house with a guard outside, but yet again not be able to afford a raise dead spell for his daughter? Did whoever use disintegrate on his daughter hence the reason why she is a pile of sand in a jar? like come on man, i really REALLY doubt she had any level in adventuring so again, less money that half the cost for platemail and she should be back and at 'em like nothing ever happened

now when it comes to khalid i can ALMOST accept it, first it is possible that you might not be high enough level to have raise dead especially if you start fresh with 89 000 XP, but even if you start with 161 000 jaheira can get that harper version of raise dead by then, and doesn't even try. Now jaheira claims that his "body is to mutilated beyond revival" or some jargon, which seems a bit weak but understandable knowing that the culprit was mr irenicus and there could have been some possibility of perma death with his magic, but they really did put a lot of effort into jaheira's quest in bg2 so i will give it a weak pass

but THEN in ToB to make up for it, you can raise the child's dad in saradush as an RPG element instead with no fuss

if enemies were smart ( especially big time or boss enemies ) they should have some "paid" staff or people ready to go with a resurrection spell anytime they bite the dust, to me that would only make sense, but nope, notta, no insurance for the big bads, if you want to get rich in the realms, start a contingent resurrection business and i'm sure you would be a millionaire easy for all those filthy nobles and rich folk

seriously, games that use "perma death" as a lead point for a plot point in a world where not only do towns and cities provide resurrection services but even your own PARTY at a whim is just silly as hell, and a bit cringe when there is raise dead and resurrection all over the place, and yet lol whoops, can't use that as an option, because ya know, 800 gold, that is just too unfordable to use to raise someone, but giving a random party over 10k for basically failing to save someone is all good lewlz
    Absolutely. Resurrection, Raise Dead, Harper's Call, etc. are good from a mechanical point of view but they're complete plot destroyers from a story perspective. Resurrecting someone should be possible but it should be insanely difficult and expensive, maybe you would need to get extremely rare ingredients. That by itself could be the main plot hook for a game.
    edited September 2021
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    one thing i find a bit laughable in RPGs is the ability to "raise dead". I love how when your characters bite the dust it's just a quick spell or even ITEM and they're back to normal like nothing ever happened, but then you get a scenario like in bg1 where gorion dies and hull apparently went out to grab his remains and bring them back to candlekeep and no one had the decency to revive this guy? wouldn't the harpers pitch in to help bring him back to life? its not like he was "chunked" or anything, and wasn't gorion a high ranking member of the harpers? man the harpers definitely need a better health plan

or even in bg2 with the wellyn kid in the graveyard, it is entirely possible that you could have raise dead by that moment and it would have been neat as an RPG element to bring him back to life to he could be with his parents again ( perhaps giving your team a +1 to REP ) but nope, if you are an NPC sucks to be you

or nalia's father for example, lol, sorry nalia for losing your pops, but damn girl, he's RIGHT THERE, chillin ( literally ) on that weird pilar thing, not chunked, probably "just" bit the dust, and seriously YOU ARE A WEALTHY FAMILY, does no one have the funds to revive this guy? how high of a level could he have possibly been? i would say a best this guy was level 7 if that, and yet even up to level 10 it ONLY costs 800 gold to revive someone, which is less than one suit of platemail, and yet when you help nalia clear out the fortress she gives you a whopping 10650 GP LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, couldn't use even a fraction of those funds to revive your dad? seriously, the health/insurance program of the realms in complete shite

oh, oh! speaking about more RICH people.... Anomen, like come on buddy, come on buddy. Does your father get that crunk that he can afford to own such a huge house with a guard outside, but yet again not be able to afford a raise dead spell for his daughter? Did whoever use disintegrate on his daughter hence the reason why she is a pile of sand in a jar? like come on man, i really REALLY doubt she had any level in adventuring so again, less money that half the cost for platemail and she should be back and at 'em like nothing ever happened

now when it comes to khalid i can ALMOST accept it, first it is possible that you might not be high enough level to have raise dead especially if you start fresh with 89 000 XP, but even if you start with 161 000 jaheira can get that harper version of raise dead by then, and doesn't even try. Now jaheira claims that his "body is to mutilated beyond revival" or some jargon, which seems a bit weak but understandable knowing that the culprit was mr irenicus and there could have been some possibility of perma death with his magic, but they really did put a lot of effort into jaheira's quest in bg2 so i will give it a weak pass

but THEN in ToB to make up for it, you can raise the child's dad in saradush as an RPG element instead with no fuss

if enemies were smart ( especially big time or boss enemies ) they should have some "paid" staff or people ready to go with a resurrection spell anytime they bite the dust, to me that would only make sense, but nope, notta, no insurance for the big bads, if you want to get rich in the realms, start a contingent resurrection business and i'm sure you would be a millionaire easy for all those filthy nobles and rich folk

seriously, games that use "perma death" as a lead point for a plot point in a world where not only do towns and cities provide resurrection services but even your own PARTY at a whim is just silly as hell, and a bit cringe when there is raise dead and resurrection all over the place, and yet lol whoops, can't use that as an option, because ya know, 800 gold, that is just too unfordable to use to raise someone, but giving a random party over 10k for basically failing to save someone is all good lewlz

I only find the ability to revive the dead annoying in contexts like you just mentioned, the ability to do so isn't the problem, the story ignores that your character maybe a class that can literally do it. So story points like that have no emotional impact. I have nothing to say about gorion because I don't know how long it took them to retrieve the body because I still find it stupid that after the attack and the murder of his father, the ward didn't try to go back to the keep for help.

Yet with Khalid it made perfect sense to me, it shows that there's actually a time limit on how long before death can't be undone even though we don't technically know how long he had been dead.

But on this note, a peeve of mine is, so you're telling me a cleric can raise the dead, a freaking druid can raise the dead, even a freaking shaman can do it....but... A necromancer, the literal class/job/profession that is basically the poster boy for dead, death, and undead magic sometimes in some some stories both life and death magic, literally wouldn't have a way to do it? The very class dedicated to study of the dead wouldn't find a way to bring the soul back and give someone a second life, maybe for a plot or a scheme, or maybe as a key or trump card against some noble/elite who just lost their loved one and is grieving. Yet here comes a necromancer with the power to revive the dead for a price.

Post edited by DragonKing on
    I agree. Necromancers should be the most qualified individuals to perform a resurrection. And I like the idea that they will do this for a (heafty) price. This could be a really good plot hook, especially if townsfolk distrust Necromancers. Resurrecting someone could even be a taboo, as in, you're not allowing a deceased person to rest in peace. Or perhaps it's seen as something that no one should mess with. Maybe resurrections have side effects. Maybe it even goes horribly wrong and you get a zombie instead.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited September 2021
    I hate resurrection in games. I never use it in Baldur's Gate and always play if you're dead you're dead. Even so, the fact that it is there as a possibility still irritates me and I would love a mod that removes Raise Dead, Resurrection etc from the game completely.
    I hate resurrection in games. I never use it in Baldur's Gate and always play if you're dead you're dead. Even so, the fact that it is there as a possibility still irritates me and I would love a mod that removes Raise Dead, Resurrection etc from the game completely.
    I mean, I would agree if we weren't talking about a game world where... Gods actively interfere with the world and in one way they do that is by raising the dead, people can actively turn themselves and others into sentient undead and so on.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I mean, I would agree if we weren't talking about a game world where... Gods actively interfere with the world and in one way they do that is by raising the dead, people can actively turn themselves and others into sentient undead and so on.

I agree that is true of the game world of Baldur's Gate (and of Dungeons and Dragons in general) but I still pick and choose the parts I like and try to block out the parts I don't. I have no problem with sentient undead but anything where you can come back to life as if death were a minor inconvenience just seems dumb to me. So I always play no reloads and all deaths are final.
    I hate fetch quests! Can't you just get your own Goddamned bottle of wine/sword/scroll/book/spell component/potion bottle/whatever the Hell else you need????
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    When you conplete a crucial quest or save a region but nothing changes and nobody notices or cares
    @ilduderino
    That's a good one
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited September 2021
    Villagers: Help help help, the whole world will be destroyed if no one defeats the Dragon King now. Our belongings will be crushed and our lives forfeit.

Heroes: We will stand against the Dragon King! Let us equip ourselves and we will fight for you!

Villagers: OK great, healing potions are 100gp, swords are 1,000 gp, heavy armour is 10,000 gp etc, what do you want to buy?
    @ilduderino
    And yet I remain undefeated
    edited September 2021
    When NPCs have classes and/or kits that you cannot have. I'm 100% a-ok with special abilities and other perks, but don't give me character ideas that I cannot utilize.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Villagers: Help help help, the whole world will be destroyed if no one defeats the Dragon King now. Our belongings will be crushed and our lives forfeit.

Heroes: We will stand against the Dragon King! Let us equip ourselves and we will fight for you!

Villagers: OK great, healing potions are 100gp, swords are 1,000 gp, heavy armour is 10,000 gp etc, what do you want to buy?

Free market economy at it's finest! ?
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    When NPCs have classes and/or that you cannot have. I'm 100% a-ok with special abilities and other perks, but don't give me character ideas that I cannot utilize.

That's what EEKeeper is for!

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but in Baldur's Gate 1 there's an NPC in a tavern in Beregost that confronts your party and he tells you that adventurers always ruin the local economy by selling the magical items that find in dungeons. I thought that was brilliant. The economy in most RPGs doesn't make any sense. How is it that there's no inflation? And when you sell truckloads of the same item to the local merchants, or when you buy hundreds of potions, this doesn't affect supply and demand?
    edited September 2021

And when you sell truckloads of the same item to the local merchants, or when you buy hundreds of potions, this doesn't affect supply and demand?

It does to a minor extent. The 1st item you sell to a merchant is worth more as long as they don't already have that item in stock. You can use that to your advantage by selling multiple items simultaneously, rather than one at a time.

Edit: I use this to effect at the beginning of BG1. The shortbows and bastard swords you get from hobgoblins are the prime example of this.

Edit of edit: Gems and jewelry are exempt from this. Their value is set.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    My pet peeves in RPGs include:
    not being able to solve quests in alternative, and especially non-combat ways;
    not being able to use skills and spells outside of combat, for roleplaying or quest advancing purposes;
    a leveling up system where you hardly get to do anything advancing your character at some levels;
    not providing the option of being able to talk to, and possibly even befriend, powerful creatures such as dragons and giants (they're always in the game just for you to kill and loot);
    any notion of time-travel.