Skip to content

Fantasy Inspiration for Those Who Love Bards

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hello, I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV recently, and I discovered how they do bards there. The whole class is the FFXIV equivalent of an Archer prestige class, and you automatically become a bard in that game if you start as an archer. There's a whole chain of quests and cutscenes that teach you the history and culture of bards in the setting, and it rewards you as you go through it.

The whole experience has gotten me very interested in revisiting old games where barding is possible (BG, NWN, and Pillars of Eternity are the only other ones that come immediately to mind), and continuing my bard fantasy over several games.

This thread is a place for bards to assemble and share lore and ideas. I'd like inspiration from famous bards in literature and games, TV and movies. (The only classic bards in history and literature that come to mind immediately are Alan-a-Dale from Robin Hood lore, and of course, "The Bard" from real life, Shakespeare.)

What do you think of FFXIV's idea of linking archery to the bard class, and building on that idea? For me, it opens up a lot of possibilities for my fantasy gaming as a bard. I've researched the pre-historic link between archery and musical bows, and only found a few interesting tidbits, most of which is speculation. Most musicians accept that bows and harps likely arose in pre-history from hunting bows, and the archers' noticing that the released bow string made a musical "twang" or "snap" that could be satisfying to the musical part of human consciousness.

I've found a lot of videos and references to two African musical bow instruments that are still in use today, and I think I remember but still need to research bowed instruments of India, and whether those have any connection to archery.

I'd thank the community here, my old friends, for sharing your knowledge, experience, and ideas. Oghma bless you. ;)

h2vcsosg8vpw.jpg

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    That's pretty interesting how the FF bard has changed over the decades. In FF1, the Red Mage was their equivalent to the bard from first edition. I think FF4 and tactics changed it to a music focused class, and thus all their bards became spoony.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited September 2021
    I am a sucker for bards due to the whole implicative wisdom coming from loresinging and poetry in tabletop and I love playing the class, or what comes close to it.

My first tabletop char back in 2001-2002 was a bard, although back then I just took Drizzt's dual-wielding sabres concept, tuirned it into a high elf, slapped a bow and a lyra on top of it and I played it as a bit whack scout (to my defense: I was 11 year old back then). That system granted bards illusory magic from which I only used "Sunray" anyway, which allowed to enchant an area into a spotlight (which was my palm usually). Then the table fell apart after the second game (but I carried the team through the first one).

Around 2006, a friend introduced me to another system which lacked bards completely. So we houseruled over this character above, and I kept him as a do-first-think-later kind of whacky generalist who just loved being a scout/support and providing the spotlight with "Sunray". His character arc ended at around 2014 though, when after a campaign, he was way too respectful towards a succubus princess, who charmed him after her mission was carried out, brought him along to her demonic plane, and together they fought against her ex who wanted to get back to the girl. During that storyline, he got his mind broken with a corrupted dark personality whom he had to live with a year or so until the two settled on how to go further and he got fell in love with the succubus for real, so yeah, he ended up settling down as a prince of an abyssal plane.

Damn, I loved playing Graion. Ohyeah, that char is my nick (it was from a generator back then but I just stick to it). :smiley:

I also tried a Toreador in VtM back in 2010 or so, I wanted to play a DJ of a nightclub who was way above his head, but the whole concept didn't felt right. I even reused this concept in that system where Graion was played the most and the guy was universally hated due to his ego and he ended up dying when during his night in the disco a wooden counterpart DJ with equipment appeared at the other end of the venue and after a music duel he just magically blew the mokujin up, ending up killing 30 other people along with himself by the shrapnel. Then I resurrected him as a lich campaign boss and he died a second time. Everyone agreed that his personality should have been used as an enemy boss from the first moment. :smiley:

My current DnD5e character I'm using to get familiar with that game is also a bard, but my inspiration was to subvert the Horny Bard archetype (in the last few years I started roleplaying subversions in all systems I can for the challenge although I always preferred roleplaying over minmaxing munchkinism in tabletop). She's a ~250 year old sun elf who is bigoted against humans because she thinks all human males just want to get elf trophy wives and father half-elven children for the extended lifespan (the PHB suggesting the flaws of "I secretly believe that everyone is beneath me. I too often hear veiled insults and threats in every word addressed to me, and I'm quick to anger." got me inspired to just roll with it) and I abuse the bardic knowledge of lore to spew (sometimes even intentionally wrong, to play out her ego) 2e stuff from BG/IWD. I still find it really weird after a few sessions that she doesn't need a bow, because 5e cantrips seem enough strong to just fling a Ray of Frost instead of bothering with such.

Amusingly, I don't play bard-classes on computer games. Their generalist nature is usually a handicap and because I only play singleplayer, I am a munchkin in front of the monitor (it doesn't affect anyone else, so who cares).
  • YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    edited September 2021
    20 years ago I finished IWD1/HoW/TotL with a solo bard (there weren't any bard kits in the original IWD1) on HoF. However, that bard didn't play lotsa music, only a bit of War Chant of Sith to encourage summoned monsters. LoL ?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In Dragon Age Origins there's Leiliana, an archer bard with religious tendencies, have you played it before?
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    Short answer: Bards rock!

Long answer: whenever I play a new D&D video game, I play as a Fighter, just so I can understand what's going on. After doing a first run, I play as a Bard. They're different depending on the game. In the Baldur's Gate series, I always go for the Blade kit. In IWD1, I prefer not to go for the Blade kit, because I want access to War Chant of Sith. The Tale of Curran Strongheart is also good to have on some occasions. And, in The Temple of Elemental Evil, Bards get an ability called Countersong. That skill can turn the tides during low-level battles.

In tabletop D&D, Bards are awesome. There's a lot of crazy abilities, like Cutting Words, which can lead to some hilarious moments.
    I'm a big fan of bards as generalist classes, so its always a little aggravating when something has a bard that just sings or uses only 1 or 2 weapons.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2021
    DJKajuru wrote: »
    In Dragon Age Origins there's Leiliana, an archer bard with religious tendencies, have you played it before?

Yes, I'm surprised I didn't think to mention that in my OP, perhaps because I've never used her much in my runs. I'm interested in maybe trying the class in that game some day, although I don't like to duplicate classes in my parties, and I'd have to be the same class as Leliana in addition to using her enough to build plenty of influence to unlock it, unless I find and use the mod that unlocks the prestige classes automatically.

I guess maybe she'd teach me to unlock barding if I just do enough influence building in camp. It might be fun to play around with it. I know the arcane warrior class requires a special side quest that's easy to miss in one of the early mid-game dungeons, so I don't know if the bard class has a similar "secret" quest somewhere that has to be done.

I do remember playing through Leliana's side quests one time up to the point where I got a lot of the stuff from her past,
    like the countess she used to work for that's now out to get her. "Marjolaine", or something like that?

I think Alistair will unlock Templar for you just with enough influence built, no side questing needed, if I remember correctly.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    DJKajuru wrote: »

Yes, I'm surprised I didn't think to mention that in my OP, perhaps because I've never used her much in my runs. I'm interested in maybe trying the class in that game some day, although I don't like to duplicate classes in my parties, and I'd have to be the same class as Leliana in addition to using her enough to build plenty of influence to unlock it, unless I find and use the mod that unlocks the prestige classes automatically.

I guess maybe she'd teach me to unlock barding if I just do enough influence building in camp. It might be fun to play around with it. I know the arcane warrior class requires a special side quest that's easy to miss in one of the early mid-game dungeons, so I don't know if the bard class has a similar "secret" quest somewhere that has to be done.

I do remember playing through Leliana's side quests one time up to the point where I got a lot of the stuff from her past,
    like the countess she used to work for that's now out to get her. "Marjolaine", or something like that?

I think Alistair will unlock Templar for you just with enough influence built, no side questing needed, if I remember correctly.

Same as with Alistair, you can increase her approval rating with gifts and conversation in camp to unlock the dialogue for teaching you the bard specialization. Alternatively there's an expensive tome somewhere to unlock it.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I somehow forgot to recruit Leliana from the village in DA1 (just never noticed/talked to her), and that area cannot be returned to after a short amount of time due to the map invasion mechanic by the darkspawn.

I didnt know I missed a character for a looooooong time.

I love Bards. They've always been my favorite D&D class. The two aspects of the bard that I find most enjoyable are the combination of physical/magical abilities (A la the Red Mage referenced at the top), and the emphasis on Charisma as their primary stat. I enjoy bluffing/deception/diplomacy type RP. I like the idea of being the unofficial "Face of the party" as a character.

5e has really moved them forward, making the class phenomenally interesting (finally a full caster, and get some very interesting/unique party support mechanics).

I will say though that I wasnt particularly enchanted with the Bard in FF XIV myself. Archer with song-support is neat, but the lack of any mechanic in the game to replicate the charisma based RP (understandable, it is an MMO) and the lack of any actual magic made me gravitate to the Red Mage as well.
    I've always been a big fan of bards as lorekeepers. The dude(ttes) that learn everything they can to presever knowledge. I tend to play them as something like a swashbuckler-y version of the Druids from The Shanarra series of books.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I have never really got the point of bards but on my latest run I took Garrick along and really enjoyed having him in the party. It has made me decide that on my next run (and probably all future runs) I will change Imoen into a bard because I have never been really comfortable with her as a full on thief. Picking pockets is one thing but burgling, backstabbing and setting traps seems completely out of character for her. Up to now I have generally turned her into a swashbuckler but I have come to the conclusion that bard is a much better fit. Apart from anything else it gives her the ability to use magic (and cast that all important Magic Missile at Irenicus) without having to dual her.
    @Permidion_Stark "I have never really got the point of bards"

Multi-tools, they are amazing in groups of 5 or 6. Admittedly, they do not shine as much in parties of 2-4. Pretty darn good for solo runs though.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Permidion_Stark "I have never really got the point of bards"

Multi-tools, they are amazing in groups of 5 or 6. Admittedly, they do not shine as much in parties of 2-4. Pretty darn good for solo runs though.

It not so much their usefulness that bothered me, more that I can't really understand what they are supposed to represent. A vanilla bard, like Garrick, seems basically to be an Alan-a-Dale minstrel type so it makes sense to me that he can pick pockets and inspire with his song but I don't really understand why he should be able to cast spells. I can kind of accept that, being a Jack of all trades, he could learn to use magic items, maybe even learning to use wands and scrolls, but beyond that it just doesn't seem quite right to me.

And if bards are going to cast spells then I would much prefer it if they weren't generalist mages. I think they need their own set of spells tailored to their class, and focusing on music and verse . For example, they could, like the Pied Piper, play music to charm or summon animals.

Finally, if they are not going to have their own set of spells then I think it would have made more sense to give them spells from the priest spell book than the arcane one. I think they should be more about buffing the party than casting offensive magic.
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    It's difficult to represent Bards accurately in video games because they're not really a combat-oriented class IMO. They're supposed to be the type of character that shines in social encounters. The best analogy that I can think of is that they would be comparable to a Toreador vampire from the tabletop version of Vampire: The Masquerade.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    Video game bards? There's always Link from (some rounds of) Legend of Zelda. Use your musical instrument to apply magical effects. Dig around in your inventory for the right specialized tool for the job. Talk your way through things. Or just hit the enemy with your sword.
    @Permidion_Stark "It not so much their usefulness that bothered me, more that I can't really understand what they are supposed to represent."

That's a big question to answer. Which franchise and which edition? It changes all the time and even within the same franchise there can be variations.

For D&D:

1e bards basically have their own secret society comprised of colleges and rankings. The roots of the class being druidic in nature also implies the old idea of bards a keepers/mastres of lore. They know everything, and if they don't know something, they have the skills to go find it.

2e Leaned more heavily into bards as performers, but also kept the whole lore thing to a softer degree. Musicians, teachers, scholars. More variety in the types of bards came out here.

3e I believe is basically 2e, but with bards having their own spell list.

4e I dunno.

5e goes back to the college idea of 1e, but instead of it being a hierarchy of each college representing the level of development for a bard, we have colleges that focus on different aspects of the bard toolset. Lore college vs. blade college, etc. In terms of how they play, its a lot like 3e, but with a pseudo sorceror style casting style and are also much stronger.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I've never really played Bards myself, although I do appreciate their unique brand of archetype and playstyle that they bring to a fantasy RPG. :) In 3.X I actually do like having a Bard along due to their great versatility; they make an excellent secondary spellcaster/healer/buffer to the party's Mage or Cleric. As a spontaneous spellcaster, you can give them niche spells like Neutralize Poison or Remove Curse that are extremely useful when they're needed, but aren't needed often enough for your main caster to necessarily waste a spell slot on. Their Bardic Music also stacks with most other benefits, and of course, it provides for excellent roleplaying and character development during "downtime" or social encounters.

Although I never really delved too deeply into it myself, I'm actually a big fan of the "Bardic Colleges" idea, that there are different Bardic schools that each focus on different instruments, genres of music, and other associated skills that may have its roots in different cultural origins. For instance, you may have one College that's produces Bards who favor a Skald-style oral storytelling and being in the thick of the action in order to witness and immortalize great deeds, to be retold later before the fires in the Great Lodges of their clansmen. Another might be inspired by the Geisha tradition, and trains its adherents in a more courtly, sophisticated Bardic tradition that blends elegant music, dance and costumery along with more underhanded skills like seduction, poison-use and forgery, for use in the elaborate game of spying in courts and noble estates.