Skip to content

[v1.64] Emily, a Half-Elf* Archer for BG:EE + SoD and EET

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Sirene's BG1 part is still not compatible with EET by default and converted by the EET installer. Also, Emily doesn't comment on Imoen either which also corresponds to her SoD opinions talk.

Relevant BG2 WeiDU block:
    ~EMILY\EMILY.TP2~ #0 #0 // Emily NPC for BG1EE: 1.63
    ~EMILY\EMILY.TP2~ #0 #2 // Choose an alternate class for Emily? -> Arcane Archer/Mage (Fighter/Mage Kit)): 1.63
    ~SIRENE_BG2\SIRENE_BG2.TP2~ #0 #0 // Sirene NPC for BG2:EE
    ~VIENXAY\VIENXAY.TP2~ #0 #0 // Vienxay NPC for BG1EE: 1.62
    ~SKITIANPCS\SETUP-SKITIANPCS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Skitia NPCs for Baldur's Gate 2: 1.001
    ~SKITIANPCS\SETUP-SKITIANPCS.TP2~ #0 #2 // Emily Alternate Class: Arcane Archer Kit -> Arcane Archer/Mage (Fighter/Mage Kit)): 1.001
    ~SKITIANPCS\SETUP-SKITIANPCS.TP2~ #0 #4 // Skitia NPCs: Romance Theme Soundtrack -> No Romance Theme Music: 1.001

• SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,062
    I'll have to install EET and pick up Sirene and see if I can replicate at some point. I'm guessing the SoD script was assigned to Emily early, not sure if that's what EET does, if an SoD area was entered, or something else happened.
    NearInfinity crashes on my savegames (?!) atm but EEKeeper claims that the scripts assigned to her are still the X3mily ones and not the X32mily ones.

It could be EET_End merging them (and mixing something up), yeah. I'll also try to build a debug folder during the week and try hunting down the culprit.
    Also one thing which comes to my mind in general about your mods: your quest/encounter NPCs generally lack voice responses. Now I'm not saying that they all should be custom voiced (even BG/BG2 had differences between worded text and voiced response when the role was minimal) but it would be a nice polish if they would have something set up.
    I agree, having more characters voiced makes a huge quality difference. But good voice overs can cost a bit of money, which is the single barrier for such things.

I thought about reusing what's already available, like say, Adalgisa using the Female Scholarly set and the PHKs could reuse Drasus's band's voice skeletons from the Cloakwood Mines. Something along those lines.
    Oh I see what you mean. I could look into that.
  • cddscdds Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2021
    Really liking Emily so far, she's well written and fits in great with a (BG1NPC) vanilla party. One minor annoyance: her voiceset is considerably louder than the vanilla NPCs. Her selection sound is always a bit jarring because it's so loud compared to the rest
    Changing her voice set entirely is on my to-do list for Emily. Not just for the volume, but for something matching the personality a bit more.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited September 2021
    I am doing my umpteenth run through, and as usual I have Emily. I've got to BG city, and up to now all the banter and her prgressiopn thru arcane archery skills have been fine. However can't find anyone in the Blade & Stars who will talk to me about Emily's mother.... help?

It has been ages since I last played (hassles with my sight which thankfully have got a bit better) and my memory has been pretty appalling, so I'm sorry if I missed anything glaringly obvious.

Edit Ignore this - I went back to an earlier save, got the planar gem thingy first and then spoke to the innkeeper. All seems to be working fine, and I've found Adalgisa.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I see that this mod is EET compatible, but does that mean she will be available in the SoA/ToB portions. (I am going to assume that even if she is, there would be no content for the latter half of an EET game)

I was thinking about installing her on my next build as a replacement for Khalid, so it's not like losing her at the end of SoD would be traumatic, but I would like to build a party that could mostly go the distance.
    edited October 2021
    @Maurvir

You need this mod and SkitiaNPC's to have full trilogy content. Without the latter, she would still be available though like you say, but there's no point in not having the content either if you want to take her all the way. :)

As an aside, I recorded a new Voiceover for Emily with VA Amymoni. When I am done with Wings I will be updating her with her new VA files. No more overly loud Sharwyn voice!
    edited October 2021
    I just picked up Emily in my new run and so far I like her. Her initial reaction to Sirene was interesting, but not entirely unexpected. I do wish the first real fight had gone a bit better, but I can't entirely blame Emily for Karlat kicking the party's backside fiercely, since he seems to be impervious to sleep.

However, I noticed a grammar issue in one of her first interjections. Where she says "Let's just neither me or my brother..." it should probably read "Let's just *say* neither me *nor* my brother..." Also, in the third possible response, you probably want "given" instead of "give" in that case.

She is also talking about Caelar in chapter 2. While it is possible that is going on simultaneously, the PC would be completely baffled by it. This was in a PID where I asked her to talk about one of the other party members (Sirene, specifically)
    Post edited by Maurvir on
    I'll fix the grammar ones, thanks for sharing! But your one about Caelar is odd, as that is in her SoD Dialogue file, not her BG:EE one. One of these days I'll install EET myself and see if its an EET thing or just a weird client bug.
    I'm wondering if I should install it pre-EET and let it get brought over with Sirene and UB. It may be worth a try, especially since I'm still very early in this next game. I won't be too heartbroken if the party resets this soon.
    That won't work, don't bother. EET will refuse to install if it detects a BG1 mod which it cannot port over. Emily is such.
    edited October 2021
    Back to the SoD report - I am a bit baffled here, I've checked X3MILYJ.DLG in my current EET install and it seems the BGEE "Something you need" - state 286 in dialogue was marked with Global("EndofBG1","GLOBAL",2)... only triggering in BG2?! I'm not sure why EET_End detect it that way though. The SoD entry then pops up in the dialogue tree because that one checks only for GlobalLT("CHAPTER","GLOBAL",13)... so it becomes appropriate to BG1 as well.

Note that I haven't read the EET continuous NPC documentation yet. That might answer the problem.

EDITX: It might make sense to tag both the BG1 and the SoD Emily Something you need states with explicit EndOfBG1 values on an EET installation (0 for BG1, 1 for SoD) instead of chapter checks... EET_End seemingly wouldn't edit them if it detects a conditional based on that variable.
    Post edited by GraionDilach on
    I hope Emily can be fixed for EET. I have enjoyed having her in the party so far, even if the PID has had some issues. I really like the idea of a more complex NPC in BG1, and her story seems interesting so far.

Which is part of the reason I reported the grammar and dialogue issues. In mods I either don't like, or am kind of 'meh' on, I just skip it for that install and remove it from the next. I actually really like the concept of these NPCs, though, so I'm kind of invested in reporting issues.
    I will just fix this with chapter checks. I'll add one to the BG:EE PID and SoD and see if that forces EET to not mark them.

Doing this blindly though as I don't have EET, I don't plan on re-downloading EET until I finish Wings, which won't be until this weekend.

I am early enough in my new game that I don't mind risking a restart. If there is anything I can do to help, I am getting better at navigating NI.
    edited October 2021
    I updated this with the chapter checks.

Emily's new VA files are also in this update. You may need to do a PID talk to fix her voice to force it to update to the new files if you're updating over a current install. Her BG2 voice isn't updated yet but I will get to that tomorrow!
    edited October 2021
    You managed to upload two BD4300.baf (with one being in lowercase) in Scripts/SoD which Windows can't handle when it gets unzipped and you can't be sure which one remains from the two (people, the bigger one should remain).

Emilhap remained the old voiceset.
    Whoops, I'll fix the double upload and the old voiceset that lingered.
    edited October 2021
    Yeah, the "Might we chat for a moment?" is also the old one, although I haven't checked if that's still in use, some others also remained (and the new set seems to missing the "I'm freezing" part from the dungeon line?).

On the other hand, I got so used to the old set that this change will be interesting to play with. She sounds more mature now and I'm not sure what to think of that. Guess I'll restart my playthrough on the weekend to form a final opinion.
    edited October 2021
    Might we chat for a moment isn't used anymore, there are probably a few in similar situations. At some point I'll comb out assets that don't serve any purpose anymore, but it's low priority.

I forgot to give the VA "I'm freezing" so it was easier to remove it from the line, I wish I remembered though.
    As a suggestion, you might consider putting version numbers in the archive file name. Having them all end in "master" makes it hard to know if you have the most recent.

I downloaded the one I used in my current game 10/25, and it seems to be working. Is it possible to update the sound set without reinstalling the mod?
    edited October 2021
    With audio files, yes. Download and Rename Emilhap.ogg from github to Emilhap.wav, then drop it into override.

I'll start using releases on github so I can tag different versions.
    Skitia wrote: »
    I will just fix this with chapter checks. I'll add one to the BG:EE PID and SoD and see if that forces EET to not mark them.

Finally got there to check this one. This worked.
    So far, I am really enjoying Emily. She pretty much single-handedly took out most of the lesser werewolves on the Mysterious Island - though she was aided by 5 invisible party members. Dropping the number of bad guys to a minimum really made that whole encounter go much easier.

I've also enjoyed her personality so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing where all these hints end up taking her.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Just sending some encouragement your way for Emily: The Sequel (BG2EE) I noticed somewhere you were optimistically aiming for March, and I was wondering how its going. No pressure, just letting you know us Emilyphilrs would love to see it ;)