Skip to content

Avoiding Nashkel

This isn't my first run where I intentionally had my party avoid Nashkel, and triggering chapter 2, but it is my first time to get my characters leveled up this far before doing so. I am grateful that the game allows you so much latitude to do so, and I plan on cleaning out every area accessible to them before heading down there. Right now, most of the party is level 3 or thereabouts.

I am curious what the practical side effects of waiting until your party is significantly higher level than usual for starting chapter 2. Having a dragon disciple with the RoW means kobolds should be easier to handle, thanks to so many sleep spells, but does this quest slide in difficulty with the party, or am I setting my party up for a cakewalk?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    It'll be a cakewalk. Absolutely nothing in the mines scales with the party. There aren't even any spawn points to generate more kobolds, as there are on the surface.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    After returning from the werewolf island, I decided it was time for the party to stop horsing around. They also visited the Ice Island and cleaned out about 2/3 of Durlag's Tower. The popular strategy of using arrows of detonation is somewhat hampered by the party only having access to a small supply at the moment.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Werewolf Island? I thought you couldn't go there until chapter 5; the sea charts are in the big city.

Also, I've never used detonation arrows as a big thing in Durlag's tower. The only encounter that I go all in on explosions for is the chess game, and that's a volley of wand/potion/necklace fireballs.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    jmerry wrote: »
    Werewolf Island? I thought you couldn't go there until chapter 5; the sea charts are in the big city.

I doubt I am the only one to do this. Before chapter 5 I have my game set so that if you charm one of the bridge guards outside the city they will open the gate.

Back on to the original topic, jmerry is correct--going to the mines later makes them ridiculously easy. I don't recall that I ever waited all that long before, but perhaps now I will just to see.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I used a tweak mod that lets you buy, at great expense, a copy of the sea charts. I'm not sure which mod added it, but there was a new island afterwards that appears designed to make your party wait until they turn (and die). Nicely done.