Skip to content

Bug Report: Circle Kick and Cleave attacks are done to the same target again.

Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
edited June 2022 in Technical Support
Tested this in the current Development Build, v85.8193.33. The character is a Monk2/Fighter4 with both Circle Kick and Cleave. The combat encounter takes place inside the Silver Sails Trading Co. located in the Docks District of Neverwinter. It involves a total of four creatures: three fire beetles and a giant spider. Ironically, the giant spider was the target of both my character's Circle Kick and Cleave attacks after being the target of his preceding attacks. Here are screenshots of the occurrences.

Image #1
f3a4wlkrrdpp.png

Image #2
iaggr3krcm1r.png

The attacks detailing the Circle Kick occurrence are in Image #1. They are listed among the four attacks at the top of the combat log.

The attacks detailing the Cleave occurrence are in Image #2. They are at the bottom half of the combat log. I think it is worth mentioning that the Cleave attack was done to the giant spider after the preceding attack had already killed it. My character basically Cleave attacked the same dead target before Circle Kicking the next target in the encounter.

Hopefully, whatever fix your Development Staff/Team had for this issue will keep in the next patch. Have a blessed day, be safe and stay healthy.

Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically) gaming to all.

Post edited by Prince_Raymond on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Looks a bit like the issue described in the last bullet point on this page: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Great_cleave

"If an enemy is killed in the middle of a flurry, all remaining hits in that flurry are also considered killing blows. That is each hit will trigger the next attack to be labeled great cleave and given full AB as well as adding an extra attack."

As far as I know, this issue has existed since the original version of NWN. I doubt it will ever be fixed.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited February 2022
    @Tresset

That's weird, considering my character didn't have Great Cleave at the time. However, he did have a Haste item equipped, and Flurry of Blows was activated for the entire duration of the encounter. After following the link you provided (thank you, by the way), I think I found a more accurate description of the issue in the second-to-last bullet point on this page: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Cleave

"Characters with many attacks per round (e.g. dual-kama-wielding monks) seem to trigger cleave improperly, finishing their flurry on a single target and not switching to the next target till the next flurry. This most often happens on a target that would be killed by the next attack in the flurry (turning the cleave into the killing blow). It can also happen that cleave is a later blow than the killing blow causing the "promoted" status of cleave to be applied to a meaningless attack."

At his current level, my Monk/Fighter hybrid would normally attack twice per round unarmed at base attack bonuses of +5/+2. Activating FoB would give him 3 attacks per round at +3/+3/+0. With his Haste item equipped, he was able to attack 4 times (twice in the first flurry, once in the second flurry, and once in the third and final flurry) per round. With being able to attack in more than one flurry, it is easy to see how Cleave sometimes gets promoted to a meaningless attack against a dead target.

Apparently, all of the aforementioned issues were fixed when Development Build 8193.21 was released.

"Fixes to passive attack target selection. This should address Cleave etc. sometimes failing to find a followup target. #172"

Now, it would seem the latest Development Build has caused a regression that broke what used to work in an earlier build. Still, I am hopeful in the grand scheme of things that the Beamdog Development Staff will fix this issue, among others, for good. I have to be. Have a blessed day, be safe and stay healthy.

Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically) gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    @JuliusBorisov @Tresset

After looking over the images again, I noticed something else that seemed odd. I just wanted to share it with the Beamdog/NWN Community. In both images, you will see the combat log displaying a critical hit process from a Cleave attack. The process is displayed as, "*hit* : (20 - 4 = 16 : Threat Roll: 3 - 4 = 7)", with the modifiers of the attack roll being subtracted and the modifiers of the threat roll being added. What's weird is the combat log displays the threat roll modifiers as part of a subtraction equation with a greater number subtracted from a lesser number. I'm no mathematician, but from what I learned in school 3 - 4 = -1 and 3 + 4 = 7.

I mean, which is correct? Should the modifiers of both the hit and threat rolls be added or subtracted? If the modifiers of the hit roll should be added, why are they not? If the modifiers of the threat roll should be added, why are they not displayed as such?

I understand you all are probably very busy maintaining both MythForce and the EE's, especially with Aspyr Media's acquisition of Beamdog. Would someone please confirm if this critical hit resolution process is, or is not, working as intended if and when the time allows? I believe in my heart of hearts this should, at the very least, be documented and added to Aspyr Media's/Beamdog's development repo if it hasn't been done so already. Please.