Skip to content

CEP 2.67 and the way forward

ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,283
CEP 2.67 and minor hotfixes are now available at the Vault and on Steam.

All credit for 2.67 goes to Pstemarie.

Now we have a new team.

CEP builders are invited to take part in a short poll and discussion to help us to plan future releases.

Please respond on Neverwinter Vault using the links above, to keep the discussion in one place.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2021
    This post - https://forum.neverwintervault.org/t/why-cep-2-and-not-cep-3/4870 - excerpted below is particularly bothersome to me.
    Regarding CEP3, I’m reluctant to go over very old ground, nor do I wish to be unnecessarily provocative, but since you insist…

Suffice it to say that many of us offered to help with CEP3, putting a lot of energy into articulating the issues, and offering to do the grunt work. Perhaps our help was not wanted, as the project went off in its own direction.

CEP3 seems to offer new content to start-up module builders only.

That left the community with 2 slightly different issues:
    1. No support for legacy modules using CEP2
    2. No clear direction for builders with modules-in-progress using CEP2 since they were not supported by CEP3
    3. Potentially, CEP2 builders might take a chance on rebuilding their modules with CEP3 haks, but there are issues:
    • Not clear that the new content is worth the rebuild and test effort
    • Uncertain which CEP2 features have been taken out of CEP3
    • No input to CEP3 project direction
    • Not clear whether CEP3 will be supported or developed in future

At this point, Pstemarie took on support of CEP2, producing 2.67 to help those of us who are still building on that platform.

The new team took over when Pstemarie stood down.

Strategy is under discussion (see link above) but there are no plans for breaking compatibility with 1.69 or legacy CEP modules.

As for EE content, 2.67 already illustrates how it can be successfully included as an optional extra.

Going forward, the project has simply forked. As I see it, existing CEP2 builders will be served by the CEP2 team, while new builders can decide for themselves whether to go with CEP2 or CEP3.

Firstly, THERE IS A SUPPORTED CEP 3.

CEP 2 is the way BACKWARD.

When I first took over CEP 2, I incorrectly thought CEP 2 was the way forward as well, as the full scope of what Winternite had planned for CEP 3 was not widely understood and obfuscated by misunderstanding, innuendo, and falsehoods. Because of my ignorance, I had deep reservations about CEP 3, made wise cracks about it, and was a general arse to the poor guy running it. I also fell into the trap of believing all the nonsense I was fed about CEP 3 by people with an agenda.

"The new team took over when Pstemarie stood down." That's an interesting take on things. I want it to be clear I was BADGERED into stepping down. But that's irrelevant to the misinformation being spread with this post on the Vault.

That said, let me address the misinformation.

1. No support for legacy modules using CEP 2.

Players will already have CEP 2.x (whatever version they need) downloaded for their modules - ALL previous versions of CEP (both CEP 1 and CEP 2) I could find are compiled on the CEP page on the Vault. Current builders should be using CEP 3 which support ALL EE features and is not a regression to an older, unsupported version of the game.

3. No support from CEP 3 for modules in progress.

This is hogwash. Modules using CEP can easily be updated to CEP 3 from CEP 2. ALL of the content in CEP 2 is in CEP 3, no content has been removed.

3a. Not clear that the new content is worth the rebuild and test effort

This should be left to Builders to decide. With this mentality, no one would ever use or add new content. Furthermore, the same could be said about a non-CEP module upgrading to CEP 2.

3b. Uncertain which CEP2 features have been taken out of CEP3

See under #1 above. You can also read the CEP 3 Project page on the Vault - its pretty clear there what's included. And no, I don't consider scripts and templates which are already in a CEP 2 module to be "removed content.

3c. No input to CEP3 project direction

The CEP 3 project has a clear direction and welcomes input, BUT in order to know that you'd have to get on Discord and actually speak with the person doing the project. However, you've expressed many times you have no use for Discord.

3d. Not clear whether CEP3 will be supported or developed in future

More misinformation, but you wouldn't know that because...Discord.

This bit from the OP "Please respond on Neverwinter Vault using the links above, to keep the discussion in one place." This is solely about control and has little else to do with organization. On the Vault, where you are a Moderator, you can treat dissenters like trash, bar them from commenting, and take more excessive actions if YOU deem them warranted.

Finally, this..."CEP builders are invited to take part in a short poll and discussion to help us to plan future releases." should raise red flags for others. Why only CEP Builders, don't others who may not yet be using CEP have a say? Don't their opinions and concerns matter? Evidently not.

This is all I'll say on the CEP 2 vs. CEP 3 rubbish, as I have no desire to EVER again engage with anything on the Vault forums. Consider this a public service announcement that CEP 3 exists, is supported, and is being developed.

To the Moderators here, sorry if this sounds combative, but I'm just calling it like I see it.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Pstemarie Thanks for your input, but please note there is no need to discuss the Vault moderation on this forum. From our neutral perspective, we hope these things get sorted out and the community will continue on friendly terms.