Skip to content

Android 11 data file issues

EvoGamerEvoGamer Member Posts: 4
edited October 2021 in Troubleshooting
I've been looking to sync my games between my Android 11 devices (S8+ and S21 Ultra) and my PC-class devices (2015 MacBook Pro with macOS 11, and desktop running Arch Linux, and a Win10 VM). I have saves for BGEE on my MBP, and saves for NWNEE on my S21.

BGEE:
I can easily access the BGEE saves on my MBP at the usual location (~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/saves), and can easily compress them to a .bg1save zip file. BGEE is not registered as an option to handle this file type. (NB: Plague Inc. is quite happy to attempt to open it, as is the DnD 5E Complete Reference app). Even trying to open the file as "*/*" in X-Plore gives a huge range of possible apps, but not BGEE.

I can find the data location on Android (/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition) with X-Plore and also with adb:
  • Using v2.5 I can see that the files folder exists, but the folder permissions (viewed with adb ls) are set to 700, so nothing except the game itself can see inside.
  • Using the v2.6 beta, the main com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition folder is given these permissions, so even the files subfolder is no longer visible.
I have a lot of apps installed, and BGEE is the only app that has this permissions problem.

NWNEE:
NWNEE fares better on the Android side, as I can see some of the contents of /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.beamdog.nwnandroid/files (namely the folders 'data', 'pkg', and 'user'), but I can't find the 'saves' folder, nor any others (like 'overrides'), even though I have a number of saves in the game.

Here are the results of adb ls with BGEE 2.5 installed:
6t8za4m8lzav.png

and with BGEE 2.6 installed:
dcf04gd9a39j.png

Is there anything I'm missing?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hi! Can you elaborate more what is the problem for BG:EE?
  • EvoGamerEvoGamer Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2021
    I want to transfer the save files from my MBP and I can't find or access the 'saves' folder on my S21. BG:EE is the only app on my device that has an owner-only permissions profile (ie the drwx - - - - - - setting). I was wondering if this is why I'm getting "Permission Denied" when I access the 'files' folder. I don't have a rooted phone to change this setting myself, but I wonder if there's a config setting somewhere that might be able to change it?

For NWN:EE, I wish to do the opposite, that is I want to copy the save files from my S21 to my MBP, but there does not appear to be a 'saves' folder to copy them from.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Our QA is not sure why you are running into this problem, I am afraid. Windows 10 can natively browse to an Android device's save files for BG:EE, and for MacOS we use a Google application called Android File Transfer, which also allows us to access the save files, including on Android 11 devices.

Can you please try the aforementioned application on the MacBook and see if you are able to use the app to access the files on the S21?
  • EvoGamerEvoGamer Member Posts: 4
    t7s8vrpz8d4c.png
    This is all I can see using Android File Transfer (on macOS Monterey if that makes any difference).
    756y9grpclr7.jpgy2t04ddiqdbs.jpg
    These are screenshots from X-Plore on the S21. Note how it says that the 'files' folder for BGEE has 0 files inside. If I update to the v2.6 beta in the play store, the 'files' folder also disappears.
  • Cuttooth_Cuttooth_ Member Posts: 5
    EvoGamer wrote: »
    t7s8vrpz8d4c.png
    This is all I can see using Android File Transfer (on macOS Monterey if that makes any difference).
    These are screenshots from X-Plore on the S21. Note how it says that the 'files' folder for BGEE has 0 files inside. If I update to the v2.6 beta in the play store, the 'files' folder also disappears.

I had the exact same issue as you and a temporary work around for me was to delete storage/cache under app info and manually create com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition. This allowed me to copy my files folder over as usual.
  • ReavesReaves Member Posts: 3
    Having the same issue and tried delete storage/cache which allowed me to transfer the files over but as soon as I played the folder permission were put back so I cannot access again to transfer out.

An update with a fix would be great here as this also means we can't import saves.
  • JingizuJingizu Member Posts: 6
    Cuttooth_ wrote: »
    t7s8vrpz8d4c.png

I had the exact same issue as you and a temporary work around for me was to delete storage/cache under app info and manually create com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition. This allowed me to copy my files folder over as usual.

I did that, but when i start the Game It deleted the folder and create a a new "empty" one. I cant use my saved games
    Jingizu wrote: »
    Cuttooth_ wrote: »
    t7s8vrpz8d4c.png

I did that, but when i start the Game It deleted the folder and create a a new "empty" one. I cant use my saved games

I got a solution, i plug the tablet to the pc (via usb), rename the original "files" folder to "p" (i suppose it is the same the new name) and create a new folder called "files" then i copied my old "files" folder content in it. when i strted the game, ir is not deleted, so i can play my saved games.
    Good to know! Thanks for sharing.
    Now i cant see any file in android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition folder , so something has changed.... This is very frustrating.
  • mandimusmandimus Member Posts: 1
    Is this sorted yet!? I've been playing baldurs gate since I was very small and would love to import my character to each game. I'm computer illiterate though... would be awesome if the import buttons actually worked?
    Releasing a patch is still on our to-do list.