Skip to content

The Waylanders - RTwP RPG in a Celtic setting, inspired from Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
edited May 2020 in Off-Topic
I just found out about this yesterday from this Youtube video...

...and thought I would make a thread about it here since it appears it hasn't already been made, and also since my fellow RTwP enthusiasts apparently haven't been talking about this. (I only saw discussions about Pathfinder 2 and sometimes Black Geyser.) Anyways, it looks like this game has been in development by Gato Studio for quite some time, and people like Mike Laidlaw and Chris Avellone are in the Dev team. There's two different timelines in this game, one in a Celtic setting and other in a medieval Christian setting, and looks like there is a time travel feature, and you have two sets of parties in the two timelines. Combat is real time with pause (YAAY!!!), and there seems to be lots of tactical stuff about "formations" which gives you formation abilities and such. It is supposed to have a huge number of skills and lots of customisation, rich dialog choices with multiple endings, and what looks to be a pretty amazing voice acting cast. It also looks like Inon Zur is working on the game soundtrack. It all sounds pretty epic.

Here's a first look video back from August 2018.
Official cinematic trailer from Gamescom 2019.
Here's a pre-alpha gameplay video from August 2019.
And here's a video of the voice acting cast from April 2020.

So far, it looks pretty nice, the setting is very novel and fresh, and the gameplay seems to have a fair number of innovative concepts (like that formations thingy). My only complaint is the Fortnite-ish graphics, but I guess that is subjective. Will have to see how they execute it eventually. What do you folks think about this?
JuliusBorisovLudwig_IIThacoBellKamigoroshiIsewein

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2020
    I've been interested in this game since the news Mike Laidlaw had been invited as a consultant (he later left the project).

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/the-waylanders-rpg-heads-to-kickstarter-with-mike-laidlaw-as-narrative-consultant-2000099416

Don't worry about the graphics - indie studios work with what they can. The main power of games is not in the graphics, usually.
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBell
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    This one came out yesterday, and it looks pretty good.
    JuliusBorisovRedRodent
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    Ohh, this looks pretty interesting! Definitely a unique setting and story, from the sounds of things. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I'm not too worried about the graphics (I play on a laptop that can't handle most new games anyway :'( ), although I think time travel is very difficult to pull off well, so I'll be interested to see how they handle that.
    Rik_KirtaniyaIsewein
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    You can definitely see the Dragon Age influence.

This is interesting, will check it out. Combat looked a bt arcade-y in that video rather than tactical RPG style.
    Rik_Kirtaniya
    This came out a couple of days ago. Looks more and more interesting.
    Looks like it's coming to Steam Early Access on June 16th.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I'm curious, what does Celtic setting mean in this game? Is this like the Celts Caesar fought or is it more like the Christianized Irish and Scotts in the later medieval era? Or something in between, like pre-Christian Irish?
    @DrHappyAngry To me, it seems like they're depicting the 750-12 BC Celts there. The villages shown in the game look very similar in architecture to those stone circled ones back then. Also the dress and those chalk tattoos on the characters very much resonate that vibe.
    DrHappyAngry
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I too had been following this game. My problem with it is that I hate the "time travel" mechanic (in everything, not just games but also movies, TV shows, novels).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    "Right now, even for an Early Access game, it feels entirely too soon to start playing."

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-waylanders-could-be-the-next-dragon-age-but-its-off-to-a-rough-start/
    Rik_Kirtaniyaenergisedcamel
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    I'm not too worried about rough Early Access. I've never really seen the appeal of EA anyway, and there's plenty of time for problems to be ironed out. If anything, it fills me with hope that they're working hard to fix everything...
    JuliusBorisov
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited February 2022
    So, the game finally is being released this week. It´s good to see a CRPG project made real. ¡Felicidades, Gatos!

I played briefly the retail version of the game, I expect to play more this weekend. Right now it reminds me of the first Dragon age: origins, with the game plot tied to your character creation choices.
    The game seems to work fine in my current 5-year old pc so it´s a step ahead. The character creation seems robust with different races and genders tied to specific backgrounds. We could recognize the typical class tropes of the genre (sorcerer, ranger(batidor), warrior, tank (guardian)...) The game looks a good mix of dialogues/story and combat in the begginning. Graphics and sound seem standard for an indie game.

It is a fantasy game, but it is based on the southwestern europe celtic culture of Galicia and Portugal in the ancient times and dark ages so its a fresh view. I mean, I like that, but it´s kind of refreshing playing a game wich does not drink in the anglosaxon, tolkienesque or viking mithology.
    I was born there and it´s kind of funny watch mouros, trasgus e bruxes in the videogame instead of orcs, dragons and elves.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited February 2022
    Oook. First I have to say I´m used to indie games, early access and this usual shortcomings, so I am usually fairly tolerant to buggy games, but this one...lags, autosaves not working, the game could change your class when levelup or get you naked, sometimes you appear stuck in a wall after a loading screen...

It´s nothing truly gamebreaking, but it happens very often. I quit the game after two hours. The story and the voice actors seem fine, but the bugs, lags and performance look even worse than in the early access. Its a pity because the voice acting, dialogues and plot seem above the standard of indie crpgs of this years.

PD: They say the lag is better if you have an Nvidia, but your graphic card does not fix bugs, sadly =D