Skip to content

How do I remove preset group?

UnsanityUnsanity Member Posts: 54
I am talking about Gorris, Kirika, Baern, Ilauna, Cadriel, and Felicia.

I have to click delete on all 6 preset characters to make my own. Also, when I export a character, the preset group is in that list as well. I have to scroll pass them to get to my exported characters.

How to I remove them? I can't seem to find their files via documents or via program files (86).

Comments

• AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    They're shipped with the game so I don't think there's much you can do about that.
    But I don't see how it's such a big problem unless you're starting many new games. If you just want to test characters, start a multiplayer game where you can modify the party at any time.
  • UnsanityUnsanity Member Posts: 54
    Not a big problem, just a matter of slight inconvenience. If there is a way to get rid of them to make things a little easier, especially with character management, then I would do it. If not, I will just deal with it.

Sometimes, I have fun just making characters. I can do that for hours, especially if I am theory crafting different groups. If they happen to have really good rolls, I would export them. I figure, just doing that will extend my play time with this game. Also, I would have my own list of premades should I play again in the future.

How can you do that? Modify the party? I noticed you could remove a character, but not add one.
    Ah, I see!
    Well, it may be doable but it'd probably be more hassle than is worth in this case. It's not just about removing a few files.
    Unsanity wrote: »
    How can you do that? Modify the party? I noticed you could remove a character, but not add one.
    You can only do that in a multiplayer game, unfortunately. It used to be possible in classic IWD, but it's no longer the case.
    Okay, thanks. Bit of a bummer, but I can see why not. People can always import that OP character to kill bosses or tough encounters. I'd like to do it so characters can get their loot instead of vedoring it. But I guess I could always keep in mind where some loot is when I make a second group. I just found a really cool axe that would be perfect for the Dwarven Defender.
    Yep, you want to go multiplayer if you're switching between characters frequently. Just do a local game. You'll be able to export/import items. Otherwise, there's the console.
    Also, keep in mind that some items are randomly generated so you will not always find them in each campaign.
  • Dan_PDan_P Member Posts: 123
    Just thought I'd mention, you can remove/replace the default characters. It's not too hard. You just need to know what to do. Note that the starting party and the character list are different things. The character list uses .CHR files, like your own exported characters, while the starting party uses creature files (.CRE).

For the character list, you just name 6 or 12 chr files with these names and place in the override:
    iwd
    0A1FIGHT.CHR
    0A2MAGE.CHR
    0A3THIEF.CHR
    0A4CLER.CHR
    0A5PALA.CHR
    0A6BARD.CHR

how
    1A1FIGHT.CHR
    1A2MAGE.CHR
    1A3THIEF.CHR
    1A4CLER.CHR
    1A5PALA.CHR
    1A6BARD.CHR

This will replace them. There might be a way to remove them, but I haven't looked into it.

For the starting parties, they're set in iwdparty.2da and howparty.2da. If you just want to remove them and start with the Create buttons, then just delete all the resnames from the tables using Near Infinity or another editor.

If you want to replace the starting parties, it's slightly more complex, but not that much. The file names used are these:
    iwd
    BPARTY01.CRE
    BPARTY02.CRE
    BPARTY03.CRE
    BPARTY04.CRE
    BPARTY05.CRE
    BPARTY06.CRE

how
    HPARTY01.CRE
    HPARTY02.CRE
    HPARTY03.CRE
    HPARTY04.CRE
    HPARTY05.CRE
    HPARTY06.CRE

Using Near Infinity, export your characters into the override as CRE files, with the file names above. Then for each CRE file, you need create a new string with it's name, and enter the StringRef into the Name and Tooltip fields. And that's pretty much it. The name is needed because those fields are empty by default, so the character won't have a name, if you try to use it in a game.
    Well, I replaced the characters so they don't show up on the import list. I downloaded the near infinity. I'll mess with that later when I'm not tired. So, half done. Or I might just leave it as is. Yeah, it's sucks having to click the delete button, but at least I don't have to scroll through them to get to my imports. Now to make a bunch of characters for future play throughs.
  • Dan_PDan_P Member Posts: 123
    Thought I'd mention, I made a mod that can replace or remove the premade starting parties. It can be downloaded at the forum thread. The only files needed are the exported CHRs + optionally custom biography (.BIO) and/or portrait files, if not already in the game.

Note that it doesn't alter the characters in the Import list. For those, edit as mentioned in my previous post here.
    That worked.
    Like. A. Charm.
    E. Z. P. Z. Mac-n-Cheesy.
    Thank you much.