Skip to content

Portrait bug when adding new portraits?

Looney_CartoonyLooney_Cartoony Member Posts: 31
Okay, I was finally able to get new portraits. I used the IWD package from this site. I decided to try and put my own portraits into the game. It took the first one and did the L and M picture, but not the second one. I did the same thing as the first portrait, but it won't accept the M version, just the L.

I followed the 420/660 format for large and 169/266 for the M and I saved both as bmp. Why would it work for one and not the other? I followed the 420/660 format for large and 169/266 for the M and I saved both as bmp.
Post edited by Looney_Cartoony on

Comments

• Looney_CartoonyLooney_Cartoony Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2022
    I just swapped names. Old picture has new name and new picture has old name. Same thing happened. it's the name? TheDude is okay, but TheDude2 isn't? Why, because it has a 2? Other portraits from the IWD pack had 2 in the name, 3 as well. Is this a bug?
    Post edited by Looney_Cartoony on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    What are exact portraits? Please attach them to the post. Here are the rules for the names: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/77446/how-to-use-custom-portraits-bg1-bg-ee-bg2-bg2-ee-iwd-iwd-ee-iwd2/p1
    edited March 2022
    I don't have anymore portraits of The Dude, but I figured out how to use other portraits.
    I just do them one at a time. I tested it with several Homer Simpson portraits and it works.
    Very odd id didn't work with all of them at once, but the IWD II portrait pack worked like a charm.
    I kept the names short. I left the number two in front and ended the file name with an L or an M.
    That was through many trials and errors. It will take time to form a full Simpsons group. That's ok.
  • UnsanityUnsanity Member Posts: 54
    The Dude? NICE! The Big Lebowski was such an awesome movie. That and the Usual Suspects, perfect double feature. Make a group with those characters.
    I agree. Great movie.
    Maybe, after I finish the Simpsons.
    edited March 2022
    Update to my first post, repsonse, and to @JuliusBorisov.

I removed the IWD II portrait pack and started from scratch.
    I used some of the pictures from the pack and the others from online.
    I got a lot of Simpsons ones. All I need now is Grandpa Simpson ones.
    I read from the thread to use IWD:EE: 210 x 330 (large), 54 x 84 (small).
    It didn't work. It did for some of them and it mixed them up.
    Some showed up as large and others as small and a few had both.
    I used 5 letters including the L or M at the end. 6 or 7 doesn't work.
    I read somewhere that it was 420 x 660 for and 169 x 260 for small.
    266 was a typo on my first comment. It should have been 260.
    I have been using those so far and I have added a bunch of pictures.
    So far I am having more fun getting pictures for the game than playing.
    I have limited computer time so it works and the internet is bad.
    Is there a maximum number of pictures you can have?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There shouldn't be any maximum number. You can try to use this different approach: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/744373/#Comment_744373
  • Dan_PDan_P Member Posts: 123
    edited March 2022
    There shouldn't be any maximum number. You can try to use this different approach: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/744373/#Comment_744373

I'll just note, for people who see this from Google or whatever, that the method in that linked post has a couple problems.

1. It will create duplicate portraits because the Portraits folder and the .LUA are part of separate lists. Both will appear when clicking through the portraits. To avoid duplicates, the portraits need to go in the override directory, not in the regular Portraits folder.

2. Resource name in the .LUA file works better if it has the "L" at the end. Without the L, the portrait requires 2 portraits, one ending in L and one ending in M. With the L, the "M" portrait is optional. If it exists it will be used for smaller sizes. If it doesn't, the "L" portrait gets scaled down.

I'll also just add that an easy way to automate adding portraits to the .LUA lists is with my Portrait Gender Separator mod. Really useful if you have a lot of portraits (I'm currently at 200+).

@Looney_Cartoony
    I think with the EEs, it's not as strict with the dimensions as with the original games. I use 210 x 330 for the L and 110 x 170 for the M and my portraits all appear correctly. My filenames are all 6 or 7 characters.

I did have this section in my notes about potential portrait issues:

Portrait missing or wrong image
    - may be caused by filenames with special characters or more than 7 characters
    - may be caused by filenames having similar letter/number patterns (even if not 100% the same)

I can't remember the specifics though because this notes file is from years ago.
    @JuliusBorisov: That's good. I thought for a second that I had too many.
    I know I don't have anywhere near 200 either as @Dan_P does.
    I tried using Near Infinity using latest Java and nothing happens when I try to open BGEE.LUA.

@Dan_P: I noticed that before I started typing in the pixel amount.
    The large picture becomes smaller and is used on the right side of the screen.
    I guess for some pictures it's okay. Others not so much. Either way not a biggy.
    But at least I was able to tackle that fairly easily. Next up was separating the male and female pictures.
    I was about to ask how I could separate them since the F and M at the beginning of the name didn't work.
    I tried out that Portrait Gender Separator mod and it works. Now I can have a proper database.
    I just need to go back online and get more. I have Simpsons. I want Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo next.
    Maybe some super hero ones and then a bunch of game race and class pictures for serious play.