Skip to content

How to install games WITHOUT the Beamdog client?

BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
edited April 2017 in Beamdog Client
Ok, I'm probably just being stupid but where can I find the option to download my games without the Beamdog client? I got a new PC recently and now I try to re-download them.

I go to beamdog.com, sign in and go to my account. My games (BG:EE, BG:SoD and BG2:EE) are listed under "My Games" as they should be. But when I click on any of them, I only get the game's beamdog store page with the options to either add the game to my cart (I kinda already payed for them years ago) or download the Beamdog client which I definitely DON'T want to use.

So yeah, I now there used to be a standalone download option for those games but I can't find it. Help please?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/03/introducing-brand-new-beamdog-client.html

"All of our legacy launchers and clients will continue to be available here."
  • BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    Thanks!

Hiding the non-client links for people not interested in the client in a blog-post about the client is stupid.

Just saying.

Thanks again!
    ConjurerDragon
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Will we be able to download the new Planescape: EE game using only a launcher and not the Beamdog client? As we have been able to do with the other games?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    PST:EE does not have an individual launcher and so can only be downloaded through the Beamdog Client or other downloader (GoG or Steam.) However, if you do prefer to not use the Client then once you have downloaded the game you are free to run the executable directly instead of playing through the Beamdog Client.

Also, the old client is available to download on the legacy page and it will continue to have all games, including PST:EE. It could come handy for people whose PCs don't meet minimum requirements, like Windows XP users.
    RavenslightConjurerDragon
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947

if you do prefer to not use the Client then once you have downloaded the game you are free to run the executable directly instead of playing through the Beamdog Client.

If there isn't an installer, does burn the gamedir work to copy the games on other computers?

rede9 said:

if you do prefer to not use the Client then once you have downloaded the game you are free to run the executable directly instead of playing through the Beamdog Client.

If there isn't an installer, does burn the gamedir work to copy the games on other computers?

Yes, it would work.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    On my PC-desktop PSTee has been added to my games. But on my laptop not: the client doesn't see the game. I tried to reinstall the client running Ccleaner without results.
    I copied the gamedir from desktop to laptop and It worked. But it would be uncomfortable doing that for each update.
    @rede9 Have you read the FAQ about Beamdog Client? https://www.beamdog.com/about/client_faq

Q: How do I point the Beamdog Client to an already installed game?

Sign into the Beamdog Client and select the game you want to install. Click the ‘Install’ button and in the window that pops up, choose ‘Find Existing Game’ and point it at the existing copy of your game. The Beamdog Client will check that you’ve selected a valid installation, and if it detects changes to the game installed in that location it will give you the option to restore the game to a clean state or leave it as-is but bring it into the Client.
  • Sc0obySc0oby Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    it seems the new Launcher and the old Clients handle the games/downloads differently...

I had BG:EE, BG2:EE, BG:SoD and IDW:EE all downloaded with the legacy clients.
    I copied them the to a new folder for the Beamdog Client (new launcher).
    Then I added them to the new launcher via Install / Find existing game.

BG:EE and IWD:EE where checked and all was fine.

But for BG2:EE additional 500MB where loaded due to "changes" to the files. BG:SoD was downloaded completly again (about 4,5GB).

I never altered any files or installed any Mods or so on. I checked the old folders with the repair functions of the old clients. They had nothing to complain.

Will make an MD5 compare of old and new folders to check what changed...

@Sc0oby Is there any chance the BG2:EE files required an update? As for BG:SoD, the team will do some testing.
  • Sciano86Sciano86 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,

how can i get the Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition laucher ? i have some trouble with the Beamdog client installation because my pc is an old technology.
    Thank you.
    Hello, @Sciano86 ! NWN:EE can only be installed from beamdog.com through the new Beamdog Client.

What do you mean your "pc is an old technology"? NWN:EE can run only on Win 7 and above. What is your OS?
  • BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    3 years later and I stand before the same problem yet again. Except this time the link in the blog post is dead. Are the non-client launchers still availabel somewhere?
    Yes, they are. Find the links in the FAQ. https://store.beamdog.com/about/client_faq
    Blave
  • GipperGipper Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. The links on the page JuliusBorisov posted no longer work.
    Do anyone know where you can find the legacy clients?
    The support for those legacy clients has been discontinued. Please use the Beamdog Client to download the games (you can uninstall the Client after that, or launch the games directly via the .exe).
    Gipper
  • KrohnutzKrohnutz Member Posts: 1
    So I'm pretty frustrated with all this. I am now forced to download the client, so I comply. Then I need OpenAL to work and it fails to load (this is why I have never ran the client before and instead used the legacy). So I try to download the OpenAL and it fails to completely install.

I intended to buy the Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition, but considering I cannot play the two Baldur's Gate games I currently own, that ain't happening.
    Please try this solution (especially the B variant): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2463928577

(it works for games purchased from every store)

Or check out this instruction: https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/article/2192637976