Skip to content

Thief cant use katana?

Maybe a wierd question. But is was under the impression that thiefs can use katanas.
I made Valygar a Fighter > Thief with profs in katana. I did this with the SCS NPC mod.

But i cant equip a katana. Not is own katana and not a regular katana.

Is this a bug or did I do something wrong?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Valygar's own katana has absurdly overspecific requirements. In addition to the Valygar-only restriction and the extremely high stat requirements (17 Str, 18 Dex, 16 Con, 14 Wis) listed in its description, it can only be used by a neutral good human who is a plain ranger, a stalker, or a single-class thief. So that part's an oversight in the NPC tweak, but not really a bug.

Regular katanas? I don't know what's up with that. They require 6 strength, and any warrior or thief class which is not also a cleric or druid. Plus no cleric or druid kits, and no beastmasters.

Hmm... what kit does the game think Valygar is? That could be throwing things off, and it won't show up on the in-game character sheet if it's not a fighter or thief kit.

I have a component in my tweak mod for the issue with Valygar's own katana and other NPC-specific equipment; while it keeps the restriction to that NPC and any stat requirements listed in the description, it reduces the alignment, class, and unlisted stat requirements to reasonable levels. Which in this katana's case, would mean that Valygar could use it as long as he's any class that can normally use a katana.
  • DeeKayNLDeeKayNL Member Posts: 110
    edited June 2022
    jmerry wrote: »
    Valygar's own katana has absurdly overspecific requirements. In addition to the Valygar-only restriction and the extremely high stat requirements (17 Str, 18 Dex, 16 Con, 14 Wis) listed in its description, it can only be used by a neutral good human who is a plain ranger, a stalker, or a single-class thief. So that part's an oversight in the NPC tweak, but not really a bug.

Regular katanas? I don't know what's up with that. They require 6 strength, and any warrior or thief class which is not also a cleric or druid. Plus no cleric or druid kits, and no beastmasters.

Hmm... what kit does the game think Valygar is? That could be throwing things off, and it won't show up on the in-game character sheet if it's not a fighter or thief kit.

I have a component in my tweak mod for the issue with Valygar's own katana and other NPC-specific equipment; while it keeps the restriction to that NPC and any stat requirements listed in the description, it reduces the alignment, class, and unlisted stat requirements to reasonable levels. Which in this katana's case, would mean that Valygar could use it as long as he's any class that can normally use a katana.

I must apologize. I said en thought I also tried a regular katana. But is was Yoshimoś katana. I just cluaconsoled a normal katana. And that works. So I gues the problem is that he cant use his own katana anymore.

Althought It only mentions Usable by Valygar it also checks for his original class?
    My bad.
    Yes. Most of the NPC items are like that. For example, Haer'Dalis' sword Entropy+2 has in its description "This blade may only be used by tieflings", "Requires: 4 strength" and nothing else. Its actual requirements:
    - 4 strength. And you have to actually have it; Use Any Item doesn't override stat requirements. Not that having at least 4 strength is ever a problem.
    - Tieflings only. No elves, dwarves, half-elves, halflings, humans, gnomes, or half-orcs.
    - Bards only, either vanilla or blade. Nearly all other kits, even kits of other classes, are banned.
    - Haer'Dalis only. And this last restriction isn't in the item file directly, and can't be overridden by UAI.

The component I pointed to in my mod would allow Valygar to use his sword as a fighter/thief. It would not allow him to use Yoshimo's sword.
  • DeeKayNLDeeKayNL Member Posts: 110
    Thank you for your response. Would IT be wise to install your mod when I am already in charter 3? If So I Will try out your mod
    Installing mods in the middle of the game is generally not recommended, as some resources are stored in save files and this can put the save in a partially broken state when the saved copy of the resource doesn't match the base copy. This generally applies to areas that have been visited and their contents, NPCs that could join the party, and stores that have been interacted with.

That said, the specific component of my mod that I recommended here should be safe. It only changes the NPC items, by altering usability flags (and in one case adding an effect for the same purpose). Items, even items that party members are carrying, are not stored in the save; the creature/container/store just has the resource name, the numbers of charges, and some flags for stuff like "is it identified?" or "is it stolen?".