Skip to content

How mischievious is Imoen?

It occurred to me that there are a lot of locked containers scattered around the coast, and more than a few experience points going begging. Then I began to ponder the idea of how a good aligned person ends up being something as naughty as a thief, and how they cope with that paradox. After this mindbending philosophical cogitation, a scenario flashed into my overworked brain that is either very silly or totally reaonable (or maybe even both at the same time!)

Picture this - Immy racing around Beregost at night while laughing as quietly as she can. She slips into every building, and picks every lock but she doesn't steal a damn thing! She's not being bad because doing it all mainly for practice (but maybe just for fun!) After all nobody will get actually harmed but there are going to be a load of extremely puzzled citizens in the morning - which is probably going to be hilarious.

So what do you think of this scenario?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited June 2022
    There isn't a lot of characterization for the companions in BG1. At least, if you don't use mods. It depends on your interpretation of her character. And then, in BG2, she's very short on dialogue; you have to go all the way to ToB to get proper banters out of her.

That said, there is a banter that goes into how Imoen started as a thief:
    Imoen: Why, hullo, Cernd. You're a druid, right? Maybe you can answer a question for me.
    Cernd: I am a druid, yes... and of course, I would be happy to answer any of your questions... although that mischievous look of yours tells me I'm about to be made fun of.
    Imoen: I would never make fun of you, Cernd. Although you do look cute when you're frustrated.
    Cernd: *sigh* What is it you want to know, Imoen?
    Imoen: Well, how does someone become a druid? You don't just wake up one day and decide you want to go kiss a tree, do you?
    Cernd: You're more intelligent than that, Imoen. Did you become a thief by accident, discovering your hand in someone's pocket one day?
    Imoen: Actually, yes. I was eight years old, and Winthrop had this big gold chain hanging out of the back pocket of his robes all day, staring me in the face. I just couldn't help myself.
    Cernd: You know, for a girl who has been through so much and has only recently discovered herself to be Bhaalspawn, you have a remarkable talent for making light of things.
    Imoen: Well, I suppose I could be all angsty and mope around, but I leave that to <CHARNAME>. Oh, wait... I think <PRO_HESHE> heard us. Let's go over here...

Yeah, that feels like someone who'd unlock all the chests and look inside.

As a side note, what fraction of players has ever seen this banter? You have to go into ToB with both Imoen and Cernd in your party, after all...
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    I could totally picture it. I'd even think she might move things from one chest to another inside the same house, to increase confusion. And giggle all day thinking about the perplex owners. And in case the PC scolds her for frightening people, she'll be all gloomy for not thinking about that it could scare people. And then do something of the sort again.
    I think playing tricks that do not (really) harm anyone in the end fits what I believe to be Imoen's character very well.
  • The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    edited June 2022
    kiwidoc wrote: »
    (or maybe even both at the same time!)
    You're right - it's both at the same time. Imoen is Good, high Int (17), high Cha (16), but she's practically still a child (both in age and in outlook), she has unremarkable Wis (11), and she had a sheltered upbringing. I imagine that she got used to getting away with all kinds of shenanigans in Candlekeep because of her natural charm (Cha and Int), and because she was indulged by the inhabitants due to the fact that they are familiar with Imoen; they are probably more enlightened than the average population; they probably spoiled her due to the lack of children in Candlekeep; and Winthrop is Neutral, and a bit of joker himself. So, your scenario seems totally reasonable as something Imoen would think - until she matured a little, or something went wrong, or she heard about the effect of her little crime spree on one of her victims, or someone spoke to her about what she was doing. Objectively, it's very silly indeed.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @jmerry @jastey and @The_Baffled_King

Thanks muchly for your replies. It's good to see that other people enjoy giving their NPCs a bit of personality and getting inside their heads just a bit. When I started playing I could never change characters well into the game as I got a bit too attached to them - even the evil ones (especially Edwin!)

If you want to experience moire of Imoen in BG:EE I highly recommend trying either the Imoen friendship path in The BG1 NPC Project or Chatty Imoen I'm not sure if you can do both at once. I'm particularly fond of the pink discussion in the NPC project - very silly, a little irritating and very Immy!
    @kiwidoc : You're welcome, and thanks for the recommendations. I think that many of the oBG1 NPCs have just enough characterisation to give the player a solid starting point from which they can decide how the NPC might behave (save perhaps for a couple of cases where the alignment doesn't quite fit the rest of the characterisation). In the present case, it's relevant that Imoen's oBG1 biography refers to her as "the eternal child", which I think you illustrated in your scenario.
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    I can't stop imagining now Imoen sneaking in the darkness while trying to cover with hands her mouth and "ihihihih".

On a more serious note, the event mentioned in her dialogue with Cernd sounds a bit kleptomaniac. Maybe this could be an interesting interpretation to be developed in a mod.
    kiwidoc wrote: »
    she has unremarkable Wis (11)

Actually a wisdom of 9-11 is considered the normal range for average everyday people, and she would be in the higher end of the spot. She's just not a particularly wise girl, but nothing worse.
    In-game she has enough common sense to prefer running away from Irenicus rather than seeking what is this "avatar stuff power blah blah" he wants to unlock (but not enough to avoid personally standing against him while outside his dungeon, although that was a railroaded behavior because of script necessities).
    edited June 2022
    _Connacht_ wrote: »
    she has unremarkable Wis (11)

Actually a wisdom of 9-11 is considered the normal range for average everyday people, and she would be in the higher end of the spot. She's just not a particularly wise girl, but nothing worse.
    Yes, but "everyday" is a synonym for "unremarkable", and conformity to the average is generally unremarkable, so I really don't understand what you are disagreeing with.
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    Nothing much, just that I do not consider "everyday" a synonym of "unremarkable" ;)
    No worries, it doesn't really matter either way.