Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Fanart Challenge #1: CHARNAME

LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
edited December 2012 in Fan Creations
Hi, everyone, and welcome to the first BG:EE Forums Fanart Challenge~!
The rules are simple. Just make some art on the theme and post it. ANYTHING VISUAL IS OKAY. Drawings, photographs, and photomanipulations are all okay, as well as any other artsy medium I've forgotten about. The only requirement is that it has to be your work. In two weeks, if this goes well, I'll post a second challenge. After I see how it's going, I may post a second thread for people to post ideas for future challenge themes.
This time, the theme is something pretty universal to BG fans. I wanted to start with something anyone could draw, no matter what they did in game or who they took along with them. So our first theme is CHARNAME. What kind of characters have you played? Draw them for us, tell us about them! If you've got more than one, you're welcome to post multiple drawings, if you like.
Remember, "I can't draw" shouldn't be an excuse. If your drawing ends up looking like a stick figure wielding a sword, then we want to see that stick figure wielding a sword, and maybe even hear about his/her adventures.
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Hehe, you sure seem to draw a lot! I used to draw a lot myself too, but due to my studies (and my obsession with games, unfortunately) I have been drawing less and less. I think I could draw a CHARNAME one day, though. I'm more reluctant to draw the other NPCs, as most of them got a fixed portrait of which the art is so good I could never mimick it! It's also due to some weird feeling of respect towards these characters that I've never drawn them before. I feel I would only disrespect the original art through my inferior scribbles. Anyway, nice picture you got there! Very colourful too. It fits her personality. Also, nice backstory. I sometimes fid it hard to 'flesh out' my characters like that. :p
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078

Hehe, you sure seem to draw a lot! I used to draw a lot myself too, but due to my studies (and my obsession with games, unfortunately) I have been drawing less and less. I think I could draw a CHARNAME one day, though. I'm more reluctant to draw the other NPCs, as most of them got a fixed portrait of which the art is so good I could never mimick it! It's also due to some weird feeling of respect towards these characters that I've never drawn them before. I feel I would only disrespect the original art through my inferior scribbles. Anyway, nice picture you got there! Very colourful too. It fits her personality. Also, nice backstory. I sometimes fid it hard to 'flesh out' my characters like that. :p

You shouldn't feel like trying to draw the characters is 'disrespectful'. After all, drawing them is the only way you'll get better at it. Some of my earliest fanart looks absolutely horrible. But it's kind of silly to just wait until you're good to start drawing. If you do, you'll be waiting forever, because no matter how good you get, you're always going to want to get better before showing your work. It's like, a cycle and stuff. If that makes any sense.
  • TazokTazok Member Posts: 34
    If I could really pick, which I can't, but my current DnD themed PC to play would be a dragonborn which I got so dorked up over that I made one in 3D. It's my avatar but a link to the actual pic is at http://i.imgur.com/bY0IT.jpg. Drawing is definitely not my strong suite, so I used alot of DnD source books for reference on it.

I like to think his personality would be like Sarevoks/Korgans where he knows he has the ability to destroy things and he is driven by his own personal desires(godhood/gold).

Stats would be along Sarevoks ofc haha. It has to be intelligent being a dragon, its using a giant axe in 1 hand, so lots of str. Mobility from flying so I doubt it would be a low dex. Maybe he smells so he has a low Cha. I'm sure he wouldnt have a great WIS either.

Please once BG3 is on the table, give us dragonborn, I can beg!
    edited November 2012
    @Tazok -

Damn. That is some quality modeling right there. What program do you use? I prefer 3Ds Max, myself.
  • MidoriiMidorii Member Posts: 3
    Tazok said:

If I could really pick, which I can't, but my current DnD themed PC to play would be a dragonborn which I got so dorked up over that I made one in 3D. It's my avatar but a link to the actual pic is at http://i.imgur.com/bY0IT.jpg. Drawing is definitely not my strong suite, so I used alot of DnD source books for reference on it.

I like to think his personality would be like Sarevoks/Korgans where he knows he has the ability to destroy things and he is driven by his own personal desires(godhood/gold).

Stats would be along Sarevoks ofc haha. It has to be intelligent being a dragon, its using a giant axe in 1 hand, so lots of str. Mobility from flying so I doubt it would be a low dex. Maybe he smells so he has a low Cha. I'm sure he wouldnt have a great WIS either.

Dang...that's a wonderful model.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Midorii: Aww, those cats you drew are SO cute. :)
  • Talin_SilverbaneTalin_Silverbane Member Posts: 34
    Whelp, here my Bhaalspawn http://puu.sh/1mlWr

Name: Talin Silverbane
    Race: Half Elf
    Class: Fighter/Mage
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Romance Interest: Aerie (In one playthough: Nalia)

@shin - While those are both excellent pieces of artwork, this is not the place to post links to them. This is a themed fanart challenge. For this challenge, people are supposed to draw their own PC's. Not to mention, I stated in the opening post above to please post only your own work. Sorry to be such a killjoy, but if you want to link those you should probably do it on the general BG fanart thread.
  • TazokTazok Member Posts: 34
    @LadyEibhilinRhett
    @Midorii

Thanks! I did that work in Maya. Next comes sculpting it...but ive been a little lazy and picked up Pandaria....cool rewards for contests like these would def get me into working on it again. Although I may not qualify to win since the PC cant be a dragonborn
    Tazok said:

@LadyEibhilinRhett
    @Midorii

Thanks! I did that work in Maya. Next comes sculpting it...but ive been a little lazy and picked up Pandaria....cool rewards for contests like these would def get me into working on it again. Although I may not qualify to win since the PC cant be a dragonborn

this is a challenge, not a competition. There are no winners or losers. It's just all about challenging people to create some awesome art~
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @Midorii , how do I upload a picture on a post?
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Tazok said:

That is awesome! (And since bg3 will have to be 5e, there is no reason not to include dragonborn :D )
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85

I call her Ev and she doesn't want to adventure but is forced to, since people have tried to kill her since day one she left Candlekeep. All she wants is for it all to stop. She's selfish, world-weary, cynical, wants nothing to do with this Bhaal nonsense. She doesn't care about money, fame or anything like that, just wants to go home and have a quiet life and keep reading.

The longer the adventure is drawn out the worse she gets.

She's a Neutral Evil Fighter/Mage/Thief.

Some military type training from the Candlekeep guards, some wizardry training from all the reading and practicing, thief skills from playing hide and seek with other kids/being a menace, etc.
    DJKajuru said:

@Midorii , how do I upload a picture on a post?

I'm not Midorii, but I can tell you. Upload a picture elsewhere on the internet. Photobucket works really good. If you use Photobucket, just copypaste the HTML code into your comment here. If you use somewhere else, just use img src.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I have never played BG before! I suppose I will draw a drow n_n
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I wish I had time to devote to this! I might eventually have a go using colored pencil for my namesake character. Hmm. Too many irons in the fire!
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited November 2012
    These are just a couple of my favourite charnames:

Mara

Half-Orc Cleric (in my mind she is firmly a Demarchess of Mask even if the class doesn't exist in BG1/2)

Zaharra

Gnome Cleric/Thief who, on the latest playthrough, somehow morphed into a Dwarven Swashbuckler in my mind :) [My husband challenged me to draw a sexy char so this is Zaharra with custom leather armor (terrible AC :P ), belt of hill giant strength and an impractical hairstyle ]
    This is a one shot featuring her though Sarevok is the main character.

I doubt I'd manage to sketch all my favourite characters (Xiv the Berserker, Amaranthe the Necromancer, Luatha the Bard, Xazzie the Assassin, etc) but maybe I'll try to motivate myself and at least draw sorceress Neleothesze (for whom I chose this ID). :D
    Post edited by neleothesze on
    @ neleothesze

lovely pictures. The first one looks like a portrait that could fit with the actual in game ones.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Pantalion Cool picture, and I really enjoyed your character's background. One tiiiny nitpick is that Imoen came to Candlekeep when she was ten or eleven according to her biography. Doesn't change much, though. If you ever do a playthrough topic for this character, I'd totally read it.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Jalily said:

@Pantalion Cool picture, and I really enjoyed your character's background. One tiiiny nitpick is that Imoen came to Candlekeep when she was ten or eleven according to her biography. Doesn't change much, though. If you ever do a playthrough topic for this character, I'd totally read it.

Bugger. I remembered to check Gorion's age but completely forgot to double check Imoen's. Thanks, I'll fix that up.

And thanks! Never written up a playthrough before, but perhaps I'll give it a go.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Sirick Oh my gosh those portrait pictures at the bottom are AMAZING! Nice work!
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    @Pantalion and @Sirick
    Great stuff you got there, hats off for you. Used to make a backstory of my own multiple times, but I always end up halfway, because of the urge to play the game... so yeah, great stuff. Especially the images of Sirick, I was like "whoooaaa" and such. At times like that it makes me wanna play.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    @Sirick: Now that sirrah, is dedication. Good stuff.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    @Sirick - AMAZING!!!