Skip to content

Cutscenes freeze bug

PelorinPelorin Member Posts: 11
Hello everybody :smile:

I have a problem in BGEE with freezing cutscenes. The UI disappears, but the action that is supposed to happen in cutscene never occurs.

It happens at the cutscene when Neera is recruited (the Red Wizards never spawn), it happened in Durlag's tower with killing the fourth elemental guardian (the UI disappeared, but I didn't get teleported to the chess area), and now with the Stone Golem in the Spiders room. After answering the three questions correctly, the UI just disappears, and nothing happens, and the game doesn't respond, the only way is to quit it via task manager. None of the triggers on level 4 Durlag`s tower are working - the throne, the bed, same issue.

Same thing happens when I talk to Islanne, asking her to send me back to the surface.

But for example, Shandalar teleports us normally to the Ice Island, the cutscene plays out normally.

EDIT: Tried to bypass the Durlag's Tower problem by teleporting to the room where Clair De'Lain is, and taking the stairs, but game crashes when I take the stairs. It also crashes when I try to CLUAConsole into the Demon Knight room.

Is there any way for me to finish Durlag's Tower? This is pretty annoying.

I have SCS and NPC project installed.
Post edited by Pelorin on

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I've had occasional problems with cutscenes breaking in this way in BG2 - but never in BG1, and never consistent except for an issue in my current run when I broke things by making Dorn the protagonist. Does the cutscene break the same way if you reload a save and try it again?

If it's not consistent, this is a glitch and hard to pin down - but you can work around it by just trying again. If it happens every time, then it's quite likely the cutscene script itself is broken. The mods you named shouldn't edit any of these cutscenes, but we're talking about things going wrong.
  • PelorinPelorin Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

It is consistent, it always breaks the same way, across different saves, and different characters, it never happens that it doesn't break.

Now that I think of it, all of cutscenes where someone is supposed to teleport in (the Red Wizards at Neera encounter). or teleport out (the party from the 4th elemental to the chess room; and from the spider room to Durlag), the teleport never occurs.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Do you have mods installed? If yes, a weidu.log in a spoilr won't hurt. Which BG:EE version are you on? Do you have SoD on that game, too?
    Are you firm with Near Infinity? The cutscene (CUTNE0A.bcs) where Neera's opponent spawns should look like this:
    IF
    True()
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    CutSceneId("NEERA") // Neera
    MoveViewObject(Myself,BD_SLOW)
    SetGlobal("RedWizards","AR3300",2) // Beregost (Garrick, Jovial Juggler, Feldepost's Inn, Burning Wizard, Red Sheaf))
    ApplySpellRES("OHNMODE1",Myself) // No such index
    ActionOverride(Player1,MoveToPoint([3099.1199]))
    ActionOverride(Player2,MoveToPoint([3031.1194]))
    ActionOverride(Player3,MoveToPoint([3113.1163]))
    ActionOverride(Player4,MoveToPoint([3107.1123]))
    ActionOverride(Player5,MoveToPoint([3050.1154]))
    ActionOverride(Player6,MoveToPoint([2985.1184]))
    Wait(3)
    CreateCreatureObjectOffset("NEEKANDO",Myself,[337.220]) // Ekandor
    ActionOverride("NEEKANDO",FaceObject("NEERA")) // Neera
    CreateCreatureObject("NETHAY01","NEEKANDO",6,0,0) // Thayan Wizard
    CreateCreatureObject("NETHGUA1","NEEKANDO",6,0,0) // Thayan Bodyguard
    CreateCreatureObject("NETHGUA2","NEEKANDO",6,0,0) // Thayan Bodyguard
    ActionOverride("NEEKANDO",MoveToObject("NEERA")) // Neera
    SmallWait(6)
    ActionOverride("NETHAY01",MoveToObjectFollow("NEEKANDO")) // Ekandor
    ActionOverride("NETHGUA1",MoveToObjectFollow("NEEKANDO")) // Ekandor
    ActionOverride("NETHGUA2",MoveToObjectFollow("NEEKANDO")) // Ekandor
    FaceObject("NEEKANDO") // Ekandor
    Wait(2)
    EndCutSceneMode()
    ActionOverride("NEEKANDO",StartDialogNoSetInterrupt(Player1))
    END
    Cutscenes hang like that could mean the "CutSceneID" is not present or can't perform an action- but it's supposed to be Neera, so...
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    That particular cutscene would also hang if Neera was in the party; ActionOverride(viewpoint character, do something) doesn't work, so it would break while trying to move the party.
    I discovered that tidbit in my current run - it turns out a bunch of Dorn's cutscenes have CutsceneID("Dorn") followed by ActionOverride(Player1,do something) and that's bad when Dorn is player 1.

The cutscenes you're having trouble with don't actually have much in common. I think the only action they all have is Wait().
    edited June 2022
    I have SoD bought, but not installed. I have NPC project and SCS installed. I am playing version 2.6.6.0 on Steam.

Is this what you had in mind when you say WEIDU.log?
    // Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // The BG1 NPC Project: Kivan's "Kivan and Deheriana Companions" portrait: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content): v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content): v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content): v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #18 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location -> Alora Starts in Gullykin: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #20 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location -> Eldoth Starts on the Coast Way: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #22 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location -> Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #24 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location -> Tiax Starts in Beregost: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #26 // BGEE Banter Timing Tweak: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #28 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #31 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary: v23.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // The BG1 NPC Project: Kivan's "Kivan and Deheriana Companions" portrait: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content): v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content): v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content): v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #18 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location -> Alora Starts in Gullykin: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #20 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location -> Eldoth Starts on the Coast Way: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #22 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location -> Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #24 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location -> Tiax Starts in Beregost: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #26 // BGEE Banter Timing Tweak: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #28 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #31 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary: v23.3
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content): v23.3
    ~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #500 // Randomly replace the WIS tome normally found in TotSC with one of the 6 available types: 7
    ~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #530 // Randomise scrolls: 7
    ~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #570 // Randomise the appearance of cursed items: 7
    ~RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Randomise items -> Mode 1: Randomise with in-game scripts. No items are lost: 7
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Faster Bears: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // More realistic wolves and wild dogs: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4051 // Decrease the rate at which reputation improves -> Reputation increases at about 1/2 the normal rate: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5020 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Cloak of Displacement: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6034 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat on difficulty settings of Hard or higher: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6042 // Smarter Priests -> Priests never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6102 // Potions for NPCs -> Half the potions dropped by slain enemies break and are lost: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Relocated bounty hunters: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity party: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: v31
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: v31
    I have bought SoD in 2018, but I don't have it installed as far as I can see (never played it), however, I see that there are some files in the dlc folder.

Also, for example, when I beat Sarevok, nothing happens, the ending does not play.

Also had problem with ducal palace, Sarevok's dialogue did not trigger after being teleported by Winski, so had to spawn a Sarevok and talk to him to avoid this problem.

I never used NearInfinity, and don't know how, but would be willing to try .
    @Pelorin is Neera in party already when it happens?

For NI you need Java Script I think. The NearInfinity.jar inside the folder starts the tool.
    jastey wrote: »
    @Pelorin is Neera in party already when it happens?

For NI you need Java Script I think. The NearInfinity.jar inside the folder starts the tool.

She is not, it is the encounter when you are supposed to save her.

I do not have NearInfinity.jar in my folder. Do have OpenAL, but guess that doesn't matter.

NearInifnity.jar would be in the Near Infinity zip Package.

The "Sarevok's dialogue did not trigger in palace" could be a bug of BG1NPC v23.3. You are using a very old version (I guess your install is a bit older, that's why). It should be no issue in teh current mod version.

All in all you seem to encountr a lot of glitches. I'm at a loss why the original cutscenes would not work for you.
    edited June 2022
    jastey wrote: »
    NearInifnity.jar would be in the Near Infinity zip Package.

The "Sarevok's dialogue did not trigger in palace" could be a bug of BG1NPC v23.3. You are using a very old version (I guess your install is a bit older, that's why). It should be no issue in teh current mod version.

All in all you seem to encountr a lot of glitches. I'm at a loss why the original cutscenes would not work for you.

I don't have that zip, that is something I guess I need to download separately from the game.

I agree, there are way too many glitches, I will try uninstalling all the mods, trying all the cutscenes without them, and then reinstalling mods to see what is the problem.

Not sure where to check the version of NPC project.

Well, I did the uninstall of mods by doing the "verify integrity of game files" on steam, and now the teleports work normally, I can normally enter the demon knights room, and everything, although I am getting Queen: Invalid: 62711: Queen on the chess board, I guess that is the residue of scs or something.
    Post edited by Pelorin on
    Oof, yes, changing an install mid-game is bound to lead to text glitches, and maybe more. But since your game was glitchy anyway I guess it's an improvement nevertheless.
    Near Infinity is a fanmade tool: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/30593/new-versions-of-nearinfinity-available/p1
    BG1NPC is a mod from GibberlingsThree: https://www.gibberlings3.net/
    Yeah, I had Invalids also with new games, so I uninstalled BGEE from steam, and now reinstalled it, and NPC project, and SCS, I will try now Item Randomiser again, and give it a go.
    I don't see that it says anywhere that Item Randomizer is compatible with EE, although it seemed to work fine for me (everything was randomized), but wondering if this could be the issue. Or maybe it was just the fact that everything was 4 years old.
    Good luck!
    I don't think Item Randomizer would change cutscenes.
    @jastey Update, everything works perfectly with newest version of SCS, I guess it was just the old installs.
    Thank you for your help!