Skip to content

Cultural stagnation of the U.S.

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
Has the U.S. teach a cultural stagnation? I ask this question looking at what are media has been doing for the past 5 years...reboots, remakes, and reinagining that don't seem to stop, or constant continuations of things that we should've let be put rest. The fast and the furious has 12 movies, how many times do we need to see a Spiderman, Batman, or superman movie? Let alone another origin story? Simpsons are on season heck idk last I remember was season 20 and still going. We bav been listening to the same Christmas songs since the 194s-50s, and now the newest money making trend is video game remakes and reinagining, enhanced editions of older more successful games.

Now of course none of this is new, long running series, remaking something has always been a thing and has its own merits when done properly and can even revive lost franchises.

But, Disney has shown us it's also can be used as a quick, cheaper , cash grabbing alternative to remake something they've already done and already done better than to take the risk of creating something entirely new.

So has culture in the states stagnated so much that we care more about piggy backing off of constant past success than we are actually taking risk to create and expand new culture?

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I think it depends on how you look at it. There has always been a majority of people in this country just 'going with the flow' and allowing the media to spoon-feed them their culture. Look at the difference between 'pop' music of the 60's, and early 70's verses the revolution in music going on behind the scenes. If all you did was listen to the radio you'd think that US culture was defined by the endless parade of one-hit wonders rather than the great bands that traced their origin to that time period. Of course many of those great bands did hit the charts, some of them (ie: the Beatles, Rolling Stones) even frequently, but much of their revolutionary music was only found on their albums...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Mainstream very rarely shifts paradigms. If you want new/experimental stuff, you should always look at the indie or arthouse scenes. The recycling of ideas seems more obvious to us now simply because we are here to see it.

The groundbreakers of the past like King Kong, Jurassic Park, etc. (Can you tell what kind of movies I like?) tend to be generational. There's been a shift or two in movie making for my generation, but generally in areas I don't care about.
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    Mad About You had a remake? Wow, I need to see that. I used to watch that show in the 90's as well. Though my favorite one was definitely Seinfeld, with Friends a close second.

I'm not from the USA, though I did live in Seattle for a few years, so I can't say if there's a cultural stagnation or not in that country. And, I don't have much to say about the issue of stagnation and originality in general. It's something that I've thought about in the past, and still do sometimes, but I don't have a good answer. It's a tough theoretical problem.
    To refer to culture in the wider sense, there's always a pretty large shift whenever each new generation reaches adulthood. You can see it in the increase of acceptance towards the lgbt community now versus our parents' generation. Or minorities vs. our grandparents'.
    Another shift is with work ethic. Our parents and grandparents enjoyed a strong post war economy and job market. Full time, insurance, retirement, were pretty standard. Compare that to the Bush jr. recession that hit right when mid-older millenials were getting out of highschool and college. Insurance isn't guaranteed, retirement is rare and might even be gone in a generation or 2. Millenials are more likely to walk out on abusive jobs than boomers, etc.
    There's also how religion has been impacted. Its been in a general decline for awhile as people are disillusioned with it. As recently as the last 3 years, Christianity in particular has had a major shift. With the appearance of a very large deconstruction culture as Christians either try to remove the predjudices and dogma endemic in churches, or just walk away from it altogether.

So I guess when talking about culture, what is meant specifically by stagnant? Which part of culture are we looking at. OP focused on pop culture, but there's any number of areas we can look at and see change.

Question for the OP, is culture outside of entertainment media off topic? If it is, what media can be discussed here? In addition to film and games, there's also the traditional arts, or writing, or theatre, etc.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Mainstream very rarely shifts paradigms. If you want new/experimental stuff, you should always look at the indie or arthouse scenes. The recycling of ideas seems more obvious to us now simply because we are here to see it.

The groundbreakers of the past like King Kong, Jurassic Park, etc. (Can you tell what kind of movies I like?) tend to be generational. There's been a shift or two in movie making for my generation, but generally in areas I don't care about.
    It's no about shifting paradigm no or being experimental, the 90s, 80s, 70s all had both mainstream and indie but they weren't stagnant. They even had the occasional remake... Heck they even had more spinoffs one of my favorite late 70s into the 80s tv show, Benson was a spin off of another popular mainstream show at the time. But they didn't seem to try to depend off of the nostalgia of the past as media seems to be doing right now. I mean he k just recently Hasbro ok'd the release of two he-man reimagining right ontop of each other... (No that nightmare called revelations was not a continuation of the original cartoon that was a reimagining)...

It just seems our will to let things die, or remain in it's time period is gone and half the time is argue it's not even warranted... Sadly I have to go here but Disney (I swear that has to be my most used word recently) large perpetrator of this... Just look at some of the things they have done, maleficent live action telling... A maleficent 2 which I don't plan to watch, Aladdin live action... Freaking lion king... The villian from 101 spotted puppies (lol), which from what I saw didn't even make her evil and even took out the whole freaking reason she was even in the original animated movie. Not to mention what they have coming down the line... Live action Peter pan & Wendy? They going to take out the part where the mermaids tried to drown Wendy? A live action Pinocchio... Well seeing how they did the live action dumbo, I'm expecting this to be about a wooden doll that doesn't walk or talk and the story to follow some random family that owns the toy. Live action Lilo & Stich... Just why? Lion king 2, live action snow white, live action Hercules, live action Aladdin 2...

Moving away from Disney... A live action Avatar by Netflix which spoiler alert... Of you read the leaks that a and half the internet read... And the directors comments... You think the rage for the she remake was Netflix did was something? Oh boy.... Speaking nickelodeon products, I didn't even know they did a reboot of Rugrats until a few months back when I found it looking for something to watch...hated it. Call me someone looking at it with rose colored glasses but hated it...

Power puff girl got like 2 remakes one being a live action that needs to never be mentioned...

And I hear they want to do a family matters and a good times reboot.

And don't get me even started on video games because I mean... The irony isn't lost on me on the fact of where I'm currently even making this post.

Now maybe the problem is my perception, it's like with history (using American history
    for this example because I'm American, sue me), a lot of people in the states don't realizes our revolution didn't just happen over a matter or span of days/weeks because when we are taught it we are given events and dates. We aren't taught the in-between of the months or years so many don't comprehend it lasted 20 years and when just view the cliff/spark notes version of it when we read about it.

Same thing could be happening here, maybe I'm just seeing the SparkNotes version and I missed a generational cultural shift and now I'm the old man complaining about the music of today.
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    There's an indie movie from 2009 that I really like (it's actually one of my favorite movies) that is somewhat related to the issues being discussed here. It's a comedy about the world of modern art called "(Untitled)". It didn't get outstanding reviews, and film critics were like "meh, it's ok". But as far as I'm concerned, that movie is amazing on so many levels. I highly recommend it.
    I'm afraid I don't fully understand. Stagnation to me is an inability to move forward or change, but you're not talking about change or shifts in culture? I don't know what point you're trying to make.

On another note, I don't see how remakes from before the 2000s are fudamentally different from today. There's always been remakes and reboots. Nostalgia has always been profitable.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,352
    There has always been some degree of recycling.

If you take a look at Shakespeares portfolio, some of his plays has plots he borrowed. For instanse Hamlet and Macbeth - perhaps some of the finest plays ever made - both has stories he borrowed/ripped from other sources.

Thomas Mann made a Faust version, with obvoius reference to Wolfgang Goethes epic story of Faust - who borrowed from Marlowe, who again borrowed from 12. Century german folklore.

The above are all outstanding works in their own right. Borrowed - but still outstanding.

I can live with the recycling. It sometimes works. Should we let the Batman arc end with Batman 4 (the one with Arnold), or is Nolans take not the better? It sometimes give a better result.

But I do share Dragonkings concern to some extent: that the copying/rebooting becames the default solution AND that the quality declines at the same time.
    edited October 2021
    Heck, even silent films did remakes. Nosferatu was so blatantly "Dracula" that a judge ordered it destroyed. Despite being a remake, its still one of the single most influential works when it comes to vampires in pop culture. It invented the "sunlight destroys vampires" trope.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I think it is easy to underestimate what simply get forgotten. Sure, Faustus was copied a lot but there are probably load more versions out there that no one remembers. I think it's likely that cultural stagnation is only really something you see in retrospect.
    Ammar wrote: »
    I think it is easy to underestimate what simply get forgotten. Sure, Faustus was copied a lot but there are probably load more versions out there that no one remembers. I think it's likely that cultural stagnation is only really something you see in retrospect.

Right. I mean, how many people that aren't old school film buffs know that John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake of an old black and white film?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Ammar wrote: »

Right. I mean, how many people that aren't old school film buffs know that John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake of an old black and white film?

I knew that!

(lowers head in shame when he realizes how old he is)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited October 2021
    In the case of Disney, I think it all comes down to money. Animated films are harder to make, and they've now completely abandoned them (outside of Pixar, which is really a different thing altogether) and have decided they are going to do a live action version of every hit they had in the 90s. This practically eliminates large portions of the story and script budget. It's already in place. They also have two IPs that will sell themselves regardless of the quality of any particular film in Marvel and Star Wars.

The appetite for nostalgia among those who grew up in the 90s is VERY strong (hell, just look at the Diablo 2 remaster and the upcoming KOTOR remake). But it can also be a detriment. It's undeniable The Sopranos is one of the great television series of all-time. But it's recent prequel movie is the most disappointed I've been in a piece of pop culture entertainment since the 4th Indiana Jones film. Half of it is being held up by Easter eggs and inside jokes, and the actual story is so thin you wonder why you just spent two hours watching it. And, like so often happens in these cases (the Warcraft movie being another great example), it's absolutely incomprehensible if you aren't already not just a fan, but an OBSESSIVE fan.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Virgil's Aeneid was Homeric fanfiction.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2021
    Not entirely. Aeneid/Aeneas is propaganda because the Roman emperor could not agree that the biggest story of the century involved the Greek heroes, and he wanted an epic that ties to the birth of Rome and the superior people living within it.
    It is more like a bad second sequel in that regard...

But yes, Romans were fanfic Greeks.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    makeing someothing new is to much of a risk. it's why we get so many remakes, reboots and spirtutal sucessors when they are clearly not as good as what they are based on.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    To make a long post short, very much so. And the U.S exports its culture and influences many other places. Kind of sad to see the rot take hold in those who emulate us consciously or no.