Skip to content

Selection Sounds not playing with custom soundsets

CyberliskCyberlisk Member Posts: 29
edited December 2021 in IWD:EE Mods
Hey there,

I just tried adding a custom soundset to IWD:EE but the character selection sounds are not playing in-game. They work fine when sampling the soundset, e.g. during character creation.

I'm very sure it's not a problem with a soundset itself rather than a filename issue of some sorts because I tried renaming one of the original soundsets from IWD:EE and the selection sounds are not playing either.

To clarify: E.g. when you copy & rename the standard Female Fighter 4 voice ( ffight4*.wav) to test4a.wav, test4b.wav, etc. then the same voice is displayed as the new custom soundset 'TEST' but the in-game character selection sounds cease to work. The files themselves haven't been changed at all, simply the names.

Any ideas what could be the cause of this? I did some research and multiple people seem to have had this problem before me but no one had a solution.

This thread seems to describe the same problem: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/82009/custom-soundset-not-working-properly

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    CHARGEN polls filenames (in the sounds folder) to get available sound sets.
    It then polls BGEE.LUA to get descriptive names for those soundsets (otherwise it defaults to the base filename).
    Then it polls CHARSND.2DA to assign the appropriate string reference to the creature for each slot of that soundset.

It knows which sound files to sample during CHARGEN, but has no way to know which string or slot they correspond to in dialog.tlk without an entry in CHARSND.2da.
  • CyberliskCyberlisk Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2021
    Thx that is actually really insightful, but it still doesn't explain why everything else works except the Selection Sounds in particular. It's literally the official way to 'install' a custom soundset to copy the files into your Documents/Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition/sounds folder with the appropriate files names for the respective voice lines, e.g. Battle Cry 1 = VOICEa.wave, and so on and so forth. Alternatively copying them directly to your IWDEE/lang/en_US/sounds folder also works or used to at least..

Both ways always used to work perfectly fine in-game as well without making any changes to baldur.lua or CHARSND.2DA. What has changed to make the Selection Sounds in particular not work correctly anymore, despite using the correct file names?

And if changes to CHARSND.2DA were actually necessary, what would I need to change?
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    What have changed is that as part of the AoN voicesets, the engine soundset handling got extended with IWD functionality in 2.6. Before 2.6, IWDEE had no way to properly set up the IWD soundsets outright, because IWD used number suffixes and had 40 lines on each soundset, but IWDEE was shipped with the Baldur's Gate voiceset setup, with the differences resulting with 15 responses getting cut on all IWD soundsets. However none of these new options have an internal character suffix now and isn't exposed properly to the legacy - and IMO incomplete since it lacks subtitle support - loader. Unfortunately while the engine now allows restoring the IWD soundsets to their full glory, the cut responses are still missing from IWDEE as well.

The basic issue is that if one of the selection sound slots are set up faulty, the entire selection queue bugs out after calling that slot. Due to the fact that 2.6 restores the 7th selection voice slot IWD has but BG2 lacked without offering an option to load it up via the legacy soundset loader, this issue applies to all crudely installed voiceset.

Please read the documentation and use the master version of https://github.com/Gibberlings3/EE_soundset_tool, it handles all of the issues aforementioned, offers subtitle support and exposes all the soundslots, including the ones unavailable to the legacy loader.
    Thx, this actually sounded like the solution. I tried it though and I'm having the exact same problem, unfortunately... =/ The soundset did install correctly and I can use it, but the Selection Sounds still don't play.
    Please upload your mod result.
    edited December 2021
    In what form? Weidu log?

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #160 // Make Magic Shields Glow (plainab/grogerson): v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2250 // Un-Nerfed Sorcerer Spell Progression Table: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2260 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2270 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2280 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2290 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> No Level Progression Changes, Un-Nerfed Druid Spell Table Only (Blucher): v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2500 // Exceptional Strength Weight Limit Changes: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Make Bags of Holding Bottomless: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3070 // Change Effect of Reputation on Store Prices -> Low Reputation Store Discount (Sabre): v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3240 // Friendly Random Drops -> Randomize on reload: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3280 // Give Every Class/Kit Four Weapon Slots: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3320 // No Depreciation in Stores: v9
    ~CD_SOUNDSETS/CD_SOUNDSETS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Soundset Tool

Edit: Ok nevermind, got it to work now. Thx again for your help!
    Post edited by Cyberlisk on
    I wanted to look at the tp2, but if it works, it's all cool.

I participated in the development of that toolset and I know of atleast two other people who managed to set things up with it besides myself, so yeah... would be surprising if something falls apart.
  • Whatever1Whatever1 Member Posts: 17
    Cyberlisk wrote: »

So, how did you fix this? I am having the same issue.

• sunbathingsealsunbathingseal Member Posts: 11
    Whatever1 wrote: »
    Cyberlisk wrote: »

So, how did you fix this? I am having the same issue.

This has got to be worst thing you can find on a forum, someone with the same problem as you who just says "I got it working now kthxbye" without telling their solution. 😆

So I have a custom soundset where all sounds work except the selection sounds. Here's my tp2 file content. Thankful for any help!
    BACKUP ~cd_soundsets/backup~ // location to store files for uninstall purposes
    SUPPORT ~https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/34560-adding-soundsets-to-the-ees-using-the-ee-soundset-tool/~

LANGUAGE ~English~ ~english~ ~%MOD_FOLDER%/english/setup.tra~

/////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\
    /////                                                  \\\\\
    ///// Begin core component                             \\\\\
    /////                                                  \\\\\

BEGIN @0

INCLUDE ~%MOD_FOLDER%/tph/cd_add_soundset.tph~ // includes the macro that does the work

COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/sounds~ ~lang/en_us/sounds~ // change en_us to the appropriate language folder
    COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/wav~    ~override~

LAF cd_add_soundset 
      INT_VAR 
        cd_action1            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@1) //  i
        cd_action2            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@2) //  j
        cd_action3            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@3) //  k
        cd_action4            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@4) //  s
        cd_action5            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@5) //  t
        cd_action6            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@6) //  u
        cd_action7            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@7) //  v
        cd_action_rare1       = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@8) //  x - warning: action rare 1 only works on BG2EE v2.6: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/34560-adding-soundsets-to-the-ees-using-the-ee-soundset-tool/#comment-310690
        cd_action_rare2       = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@9) //  y - warning: action rare 1 only works on BG2EE v2.6: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/34560-adding-soundsets-to-the-ees-using-the-ee-soundset-tool/#comment-310690
        cd_battlecry1         = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@16) //  a
        cd_battlecry2         = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@17) //  8
        cd_battlecry3         = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@18) //  9
        cd_bored1             = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@21) //  d
        cd_city               = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@24) //  o
        cd_common1            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@25) //  f
        cd_common2            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@26) //  g
        cd_common3            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@27) //  h
        cd_common4            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@28) //  0
        cd_criticalhit        = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@32) //  z
        cd_criticalmiss       = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@33) //  1  (number)
        cd_damage1            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@34) //  l  (letter)
        cd_day                = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@37) //  q
        cd_disrupted          = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@38) //  6
        cd_dungeon            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@39) //  p
        cd_dying1             = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@40) //  m
        cd_forest             = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@42) //  n
        cd_gen_death1         = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@43) //  w
        cd_hurt1              = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@46) //  e
        cd_immune             = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@48) //  2
        cd_inventory          = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@49) //  3
        cd_leader1            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@50) //  b
        cd_night              = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@54) //  r
        cd_pickpocket         = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@55) //  4
        cd_shadows            = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@64) //  5
        cd_tired1             = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@65) //  c
        cd_trap               = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@67) //  7
        cd_select_name        = RESOLVE_STR_REF(@70) // selection name on the Voice menu screen
      STR_VAR cd_name = "CUSTOM0"
    END

What do you have in the tra as well?
    Here. It's audio for the Pai'Na NPC mod, which I found from this forum comment.
    @0 = ~Soundset Tool~
     @1 = ~Agreed.~ [bobi]
     @2 = ~I shall.~ [bobj]
     @3 = ~Worry not.~ [bobk]
     @4 = ~Yes.~ [bobs]
     @5 = ~It is in my hands.~ [bobt]
     @6 = ~'tis done.~ [bobu]
     @7 = ~At once!~ [bobv]
     @8 = ~Yes yes! I'm here, there's no need to shout.~ [bobx]
     @9 = ~You're agitated. Breathe deeply and calm yourself.~ [boby]
    @16 = ~Your doom approaches.~ [boba]
    @17 = ~I shall prevail!~ [bob8]
    @18 = ~The slaughter is nigh.~ [bob9]
    @21 = ~This idle time does not suit me. I prefer action.~ [bobd] 
    @24 = ~So much takes place behind shuttered windows.~ [bobo]
    @25 = ~What is needed?~ [bobf]
    @26 = ~Hmm?~ [bobg]
    @27 = ~You look troubled.~ [bobh]
    @28 = ~I listen.~ [bob0]
    @32 = ~Suffer in my storm!~ [bobz] 
    @33 = ~This may prove difficult.~ [bob1] 
    @34 = ~Ugh!~ [bobl] 
    @37 = ~The sun rises once more to cast our shadows on the land.~ [bobq] 
    @38 = ~Ah! My magic fails me.~ [bob6] 
    @39 = ~Tread carefully. Creatures of fearsome power lurk in such places as this.~ [bobp] 
    @40 = ~My breath... leaves me.~ [bobm] 
    @42 = ~These ancient places hold their secrets well.~ [bobn] 
    @43 = ~Another soul is loosed from its vessel. So shall we all end.~ [bobw] 
    @46 = ~Eugh! Restore me!~ [bobe] 
    @48 = ~My efforts fail! I must change my approach.~ [bob2] 
    @49 = ~I can carry no more. I've started dropping things.~ [bob3] 
    @50 = ~Do as I say and we will thrive.~ [bobb] 
    @54 = ~Darkness sometimes reveals more than light.~ [bobr] 
    @55 = ~I lay claim to this.~ [bob4] 
    @64 = ~The shadows shroud me.~ [bob5] 
    @65 = ~I must rest, lest fatigue cobweb my senses.~ [bobc] 
    @67 = ~The trap is set and baited.~ [bob7] 
    @70 = ~Pai'Na~

Oh I got it working now! I uninstalled the soundset, replaced bob inside the [bobX] brackets in setup.tra with CUSTOM0 (the base name of my sound files, I read somewhere that using CUSTOM[0-9] for the soundset might work better), then reinstalled. Now selection sounds are working!

Note that this step is missing from the README in the soundset tool, but it's described inside this forum post.
  • HayabusaHayabusa Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2023
    HI evryone, I followed the instructions of the cd_soundsets, the install is ok the sounds and texts are ok EXPECT selection sounds :(
    The sound doen't have a name when I select it in game
    Can someone help me ?

edit : text doesn't work anymore after multiple uninstall and re-install
    Post edited by Hayabusa on