[MOD] Test Your Mettle!

Comments

• LadonLadon Member Posts: 17
    I've finished the mod.
    What's the fiendish seal for ?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Ladon wrote: »
    What's the fiendish seal for ?

The seal acts as a key to access the container in the "boss" room. It's not needed anymore afterwards.
  • LadonLadon Member Posts: 17
    Alright ! Anyway, it was a very enjoyable experience.

I've got two other questions.
    - Is it intended that when you reload a save in the maze, the room is (randomly) filled again with creatures ?
    - I'm trying to make a mod where you can "talk" to an item, just like you did with the cube. I guess the deck of many things also work like that. I looked at it with NearInfinity, but I can't find how to do that. Is it complicated ? How did you do it ?
    edited July 2021
    Ladon wrote: »
    I've got two other questions.
    - Is it intended that when you reload a save in the maze, the room is (randomly) filled again with creatures ?
    This, as well as the autosave generation when leaving a map, is an (undesired but acceptable) side effect of how these areas are coded. The maps aren't stored in savegames, so they will always reset when you load a save or enter the map through an area transition.

- I'm trying to make a mod where you can "talk" to an item, just like you did with the cube. I guess the deck of many things also work like that. I looked at it with NearInfinity, but I can't find how to do that. Is it complicated ? How did you do it ?
    Conversable items have to be added to the itemdial.2da file, so that the game engine can associate the item with a dialog file. Apart from that you have to set the "Conversable" flag on the item and create the dialog file.

One example for a talking item is the sword Lilarcor. However, the Deck of Many Things uses a different mechanism to trigger the dialog.
    New release: Test Your Mettle! v1.4

This release provides several improvements and fixes a couple of bugs and compatibility issues with EE patch 2.6. Moreover, it is now possible to install the spell "Spacewarp" independently from the main component.

Full changelog:
    • Added labels for Project Infinity.
    • Added areas to the game's debug console.
    • Added compatibility with the "Imoen 4 Ever" mod.
    • Added option for sorcerers to learn the Spacewarp spell.
    • Changed availability of the Spacewarp spell in stores.
    • Component "Make 'Spacewarp' available to stores" can be installed independently from the main component.
    • Modron director gives more specific directions where to find the boss of the maze.
    • Fixed a problematic 'call for help' function in modron combat scripts which also affected certain summoned creatures.
    • Fixed a compatibility issue with a visual effect caused by EE patch 2.6.
    • Fixed a missing variable when choosing the "bad ending" of the quest.
    • Fixed various minor combat script issues.
    ALIEN
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited July 2021
    Is 1.4 still 2.5 compatible?

Thankee!
    Endarire wrote: »
    Is 1.4 still 2.5 compatible?

Thankee!

Yes, it is. The mod should work with any EE version since patch 2.0.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Gracias!
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    Planning my EET modlist.

I will probably use and XP-reducing mod (like the component "XP for killing creatures (decrease to 75%)" from EET Tweaks) as i install a bunch of quest mods that will bring too much XP.

Should i still install component "2. Reduce experience for killing monsters" ?
    Mordekaie wrote: »
    Planning my EET modlist.

I will probably use and XP-reducing mod (like the component "XP for killing creatures (decrease to 75%)" from EET Tweaks) as i install a bunch of quest mods that will bring too much XP.

Should i still install component "2. Reduce experience for killing monsters" ?

Component "Reduce experience for killing monsters" affects only creatures of this mod. If you plan to install mods afterwards which reduce creature XP globally then you can skip this mod component, or XP will be reduced twice, otherwise.
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 227
    edited April 2022
    The Modrone director told me
    " After some more prodding, the modron director finally revealed to me that the leader of the baatezu army can most likely be found in the control center. It can be accessed somewhere from the easternmost border of the Rubikon Dungeon Construct Project®."
    But I found the entrance to the boss in 3.1, that is to say all to the north, and rather to the west....... I spent 2 hours wandering in the x.8 column for nothing....
    Post edited by deratiseur on
    deratiseur wrote: »
    The Modrone director told me
    " After some more prodding, the modron director finally revealed to me that the leader of the baatezu army can most likely be found in the control center. It can be accessed somewhere from the easternmost border of the Rubikon Dungeon Construct Project®."

But I found the entrance to the boss in 3.1, that is to say all to the north, and rather to the west....... I spent 2 hours wandering in the x.8 column for nothing....

Are you certain it was 3-1, and not 1-3? Which area code is printed in the log window when you press X?
    The journal entry should be accurate. It tells you to look for the room at the eastern border of the maze which is the 1-x row of maps. You always enter from the westernmost edge of the maze (8-x range of maps), so you have to cross the whole maze to find the boss chamber.

The foyer map (where you teleported in first) has a compass which shows the cardinal directions, so you can tell the eastern direction apart.
    edited April 2022
    The sub-boss was in x.1, opening to the west, (Nordom area in pst), and the boss was in 1.3, opening to the north, (wizard construct area in pst)
    It was marked on the floor and I made a plan on paper.
    deratiseur wrote: »
    The sub-boss was in x.1, opening to the west, (Nordom area in pst), and the boss was in 1.3, opening to the north, (wizard construct area in pst)
    It was marked on the floor and I made a plan on paper.
    That sounds quite right. The sub-boss is found on the northern side (x-1) and, as mentioned before, the final boss is found in the 1-x row to the east. Entrances to both maps are randomized, so I can only give a rough direction.

It sounds like you have confused the cardinal directions, that's why I mentioned the compass in the foyer. "North" is the wall to the top-left, "east" ist the wall to the top-right.
    edited April 2022
    So you are telling me that in PST, the entrance to the nordom room is north and the entrance to the boss is east?
    In the days of pst I always heard "the entrance to the boss is always to the north".

To be sure, I went to read some faqs on the modrone cube of PST, and I saw in Dsimpson's one that:
    "The "Wizard Room" will always be entered from the "top" door (in the isometric perspective the "top" entrance is the one in the upper right), and Nordom's room will always be entered from the left."

We are not advanced...

Ok, so I misunderstood how to read the directions in an isometric rpg.... at least in BG2, because in most of the others, "top" is the north. (Haaaa, the isometric years in Genesis/Supernes rpgs^^)
    edited April 2022
    Yeah, the directions in these games are confusing. But since this is BG2 I have used the same compass directions as in Watcher's Keep, level 3.
    I had a big doubt though, so I looked at some dialogue in the game:
    @6501 = ~Getting inside the palace in Suldanessellar

The black dragon that Irenicus apparently rode to Suldanessellar on is outside of the city to the northwest.~
    @5832 = ~Inside the drow city

Phaere has given us another task from the matron mother: We are to go to the northwest end of the caverns near the svirfneblin village and slaughter a patrol of deep gnomes to instill more fear in their people.
    @2098 = ~Investigate the deaths in the Umar Hills

I spoke to Minister Lloyd of Imnesvale and agreed to find the cause of the murders and disappearances. He suggested I look for the first victim, the ranger Merella. Her cabin is directly west of the village, and she used to patrol in the southwest portion of the local area. Or I could deal with Madulf the ogre north of Imnesvale by the river. The minister believes him to be the source of the problem, anyway. ~
    @10116 = ~The prophecy of Sekolah

High Priestess Senityili informed me that the only way to get through the doors to the rebel encampment was to find the key... Sekolah's Tooth, which was stolen by a drow and hidden long ago in an area directly to the south.~
    Interesting. So even in BG2 directions are inconsistent. Although some instances are a bit vague since they reference a location on a relatively big map.

I'll probably leave it as it is though. To update directions I'd have to recreate the compass graphics for each of the available mod languages in addition to various text updates.
    edited April 2022
    Why once the quest is over and the invasion stopped do the modrones leave and let an empty rubikon project?
    Wouldn't it be possible that they are happy to continue the Rubikon experience (ala PST)?
    I know that most players don't want to have "too much" xp and that a redoable xp dungeon is a lousy idea. (but as in pst it would be an "option", if the player does not want to use it, nothing forces him to do so)
    But what about Legacy of Bhaal -> there will never be too much xp in this mod, and infinite xp open dual-class possibilities
    It would be difficult to explain story-wise. Theoretically the modrons could continue their experiment, but in that case combat challenge would be somewhat diminished because half of the opponents wouldn't appear anymore. The only real advantage I can see is that you might want to continue collecting items which can be traded in for goodies.
    Yes. Even spending 2 hours in that cube because I was looking on the wrong side, I only collected about 50 of each goodies (some less than others), and what I traded them for didn't really thrill me. So I edited my savegame and "tried" with 2x100 items of each. And I must say that it takes at least that to make it interesting (a second pair of dexterity gloves, good for forge mods)
    But to collect so many goodies, it's faming, farming, farming.... we fall back in the principle of a redoable xp dungeon.
    I am preparing a large EET install and i am wondering if you have some advices where to install this mod. As the mod is part item, spell and quest mod should i install it with the quest mods or later ?
    edited July 2022
    Mordekaie wrote: »
    I am preparing a large EET install and i am wondering if you have some advices where to install this mod. As the mod is part item, spell and quest mod should i install it with the quest mods or later ?

The mod provides (more or less) a self-contained adventure, so mod order isn't really important. The only parts which might be exposed to other mods are the starting point of the quest and a new spell which is added to various merchants by an optional component. I install it usually rather early in the mod order, but I don't think it matters much as long as it's installed before the various tweak mods. I haven't noticed any mod compatibility issues yet.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    What about the ANIMATE.IDS entries? I noticed you're not prefixing the ones included in this mod, but I haven't checked if you intend to share them with Infinity Animations or with other mods... I mean, Golem Construction uses prefixes there so the intent is clearer with that one.
    What about the ANIMATE.IDS entries?

Good catch! That's something I should fix eventually. The same applies to the custom AREATYPE.IDS entry.
    argent77 wrote: »
    What about the ANIMATE.IDS entries?

Good catch! That's something I should fix eventually. The same applies to the custom AREATYPE.IDS entry.

Considering thoses things, would you recommand some rules to follow to decide where to install your mod. After New NPCs mods ?
    edited July 2022
    Nah, those doesn't create conflicts with NPC mods, and basically are just nitpicks (no mod even depends on them currently - Infinity Animations could, but IA isn't EE compatible atm, so that isn't relevant yet - and it's just to clear up a potential source of confusion anyway).
    Nah, those doesn't create conflicts with NPC mods, and basically are just nitpicks (no mod even depends on them currently - Infinity Animations could, but IA isn't EE compatible atm, so that isn't relevant yet - and it's just to clear up a potential source of confusion anyway).

I was just wondering about the install order of this mod b/c some modders put it with the other quest mod and other much more later and i don't get why.
    In my case, I consider it as a quest mod. It is a sidequest mod afterall, but IMO that still counts as such. The spell-adding component is also install-order agnostic (as long as a mod after this one doesn't attempt to rewrite area scripts from scratch, but EE mods aren't written with such mindsets).
  • barker262barker262 Member Posts: 74
    Dear Argent77,
    I'm definately not comprehending something about the maze. I gather that I'm looking for room 1 - 1, and as suggested I've been mapping my way through. The map seems to be useless as the whole thing resets with different entry points etc if I exit. 2. I've managed to get to room 1-2 and 2-1, both had no path to room 1-1.
    Any advice? I did find a room at 3-1 with some sort of portal, But monsters just kept respawning and nothing else could be interacted with.