Skip to content

How to add BG2 to already modded BG1 + SoD?

randomhero890randomhero890 Member Posts: 86
I have previously purchased BG1, SoD, and BG2 ee on steam

I started playing BG1 ee deciding that if I enjoyed it I would download BG2 ee. I forgot that I was waiting to download bg2 and went ahead and downloaded the DLC mod merger and Tweaks Anthology mod (just for quality of life and no exp cap changes). I did notice when running Tweaks Anthology that a lot of mods (IWD, BG2) it said I didn’t have the game for

Now, if I decide to DL BG2, I’ll have to figure out a way to get it added to my pre-existing mods. Would that involve running DLC merger again with BG2 in the game directory and adding it? I’m assuming I’ll have to re-run CdTweaks from tweaks anthology again and redo everything? Or is it a different way?

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    edited July 2022
    I don't understand the question.
    BG1 (and SoD) are a separate game(s) to BG2. Mods are installed into the game directory. You can add mods to BG1(:SoD), and you can also add mods to BG2. For that you extract the content of a mod package into the according game directory and run the exe to install it. You need a freshly extracted mod package for each game.

"Adding BG2 to your pre-existing mods" is a term that doesn't make sense.
    Post edited by jastey on
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    BG2 is a separate game entirely, that can import a character from BG1 or SoD. When importing, it pulls in the character and reads their inventory to determine whether certain items appear in BG2 (there's a few that can differ in the starting dungeon in BG2 depending on what you had in inventory, and several SoD items that may be scattered around if you had them in your inventory). The import includes your xp/level, which is significant because a new game started in BG2 will start at 89k xp whereas the xp cap in BG1EE is 161k and in SoD is 500k, and an import will carry that over.

There are people who play with a mod called EET which does combine them all, but there's really no reason for you to do this at this point. Just play through BG1 (and SoD if you want), install BG2, add whatever mods you want to BG2, and import away.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    When importing into BG2EE from a modded BGEE, what do you need to watch for?

Items are not a concern. Any items your character has will be removed at BG2EE's start before they can cause any problems, and the import scripts only care about a few specific items.

If the character you are importing has a mod kit, you need to also install that kit in BG2EE. If you don't ... well, basically, you'll have no kit. Not the end of the world, but not what you wanted. It's also important to watch the order on kit mods, as they need to be the same between games so that the kit IDs are the same.

If the character you are importing has any mod-added spells known - either divine or arcane - those need to be installed to both games. And order matters here too. Spells that use the standard spell learning systems are constrained to a fairly narrow range of IDs, and it's first come/first served on assigning those when mods are installed. You don't want to end up with the wrong spells known or memorized due to a mismatch.

If your character is using a portrait that isn't available by default, that needs to be available in both games. Either through a mod, or mirrored in the "Portraits" folders each game has near where the saves are.

So it's not quite "install whatever you want". Some mods need to be installed to both games. But of course, if you liked that new kit or spell or whatever, why wouldn't you want it in both games?
  • randomhero890randomhero890 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2022
    Ty for the help, I’ll let ya’ll know how it goes

One of my games I’m running has just a standard 3 custom char + 2 NPC party

The other has a EEKeeper custom multi class with a kit, so I may have to check this after any imports of that char