Skip to content

Baldurs Gate Meme Thread II: Enhanced Edition (Careful, everyone, SPOILERS!)

1191192193194195197»

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited September 2022

Is it just me?

22ypvx3o2wtv.png

Definitely not just you bro!
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Siege of Dragonspear campaign: doesn't give you boots of speed if you start there, unless you get lucky on a random roll. Does allow you to buy a speed-boosting item ... for mages. Dynaheir has the fastest foot speed in my party right now. My 21-Con dwarven defender protagonist would love a speed boost so he can tank better, but that's just not an option.

It's not just random chance. Sometimes it's by design.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    With my current game, squishy Rasaad is just too eager. Even putting him in the back row has him reach an enemy before my dwarven Charname. The only one dying more often is Neera. :D
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    In my experience, the key to using a monk effectively at low levels is to treat them like a backstabbing thief. They're squishy, but they're stealthy. They need the extra attention so they can get in without being noticed, get in a few hits, and then retreat when the enemy turns their attention to the monk. You can't just group them with everyone and auto-attack, because then it's exactly like you experienced - they run ahead with their extra speed, get targeted, and get crushed. Instead, you give that monk the skirmisher treatment, micromanaging them to hit key targets hard and retreat. A well-played monk can beat up battle horrors with ease, given enough time.

Does all this micromanagement make a low-level monk powerful, a standout in the party? No, not really. At best, the monk will pull their weight and feel about average.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited February 2023
    If Baldur's Gate were like Tomb of Horrors:

9idjhjwt5di3.gif
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    j9livmfbjglh.jpg
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Caelar is not a paladin though. ;) She's a LG Fighter. I can't remember off the top of my head if Aasimar can cast Detect Evil as a racial ability, however, so your point may still stand.