Skip to content

[v1.66] Vienxay, a Elven Shadowmage NPC for BG:EE + SoD and EET

Comments

• SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,061
    I think I know why, for whatever reason the game thinks it's already installed (When the files should clear during a reinstall/uninstalled.) and didn't install the kit.

Go ahead and redownload Vienxay from my github, it should work properly as I've reassigned the check from the kit file to Vienxay's throne of Bhaal creature file, as it should only be an issue for EET playthroughs that already have it installed.
  • shawzopshawzop Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2022
    noticed that Vienxay's Magic Missile and Blindness spells aren't using the right files. Her Blindness spell is a wild magic version of Blindness techzpod download mobdro
    Post edited by shawzop on
    Do you know what files yours are using? In my local version, she's using SPWI112 and SPWI106 respectively for Magic Missile and Blindness, which appears correct.
    edited August 2022
    Vienxay's Shadow Jump has been updated (Her BG2 counterpart, which was updated recently several weeks ago for the same spell, will be re-updated again when I do the big update.)

Changes are:
    -One additional Round for duration.
    -Double Range, she does not need line of sight, but she still needs to select a target to jump to.
    -An additional jump while active. The second jump expires on use or spell expiration.

On top of the other changes the BG1 game didn't receive yet:
    -+20% additional Base Thaco for spell duration.

Backstab modifier still increases by 2.

The idea was to make more use of hit and run, or a squeeze of an invisibility potion to re-apply a second chance of the backstab modifier since her kit can't do hide in plain sight.

The icon was also changed, since in BG2 it will eventually be a possible story outcome for Vienxay to lose her mage class entirely and become a full Shadowdancer. The full Shadowdancer can probably make more use of Shadow Jump, but won't gain additional uses beyond whatever was allowed by their kit before the switch.
  • Alfre4uAlfre4u Member Posts: 41
    edited October 2022
    Can someone please help for SoD she is bugged and won't come out of jail cell, he says he will release her and goes to cinematic mode and gets stuck there with nothing happening.

There console command to bypass or something? (also further bypass potentially if someone replies late and I decide to play more).

I tried various things like kill a few npcs with console in case they were getting in way or placing a character in cell with her to see if anything happens nothing.

Edit
    For now decided to just ctrl q,j her and seems to work and trick game into thinking she was let go ? (then skipped time to see if she noticed and she gave me talk on O you hero ...)
    edited October 2022
    Console wise, to be on the safe side, do C:SetGlobal("X32VienMet","GLOBAL",2)

I'll take a second look at this one, but I have yet to replicate the bug.
    edited October 2022
    I moved the start of the cinematic, I don't know if it will help, but without being able to replicate, it's very difficult to fix. Check if X3VCut01 exists in your override folder as well, as my concern is it's not being put there for some reason.

If anyone tries out the just now pushed update and no cutscene fires at all now, then the file has to be missing and I need to figure out why.
    Post edited by Skitia on

Skitia wrote: »
    I moved the start of the cinematic, I don't know if it will help, but without being able to replicate, it's very difficult to fix. Check if X3VCut01 exists in your override folder as well, as my concern is it's not being put there for some reason.

If anyone tries out the just now pushed update and no cutscene fires at all now, then the file has to be missing and I need to figure out why.

Ya its in BG2ee override (and just in case mention also in backup, script for bg2ee+sod, translations).

Odd that I got this issue and maybe (assuming have correct latest version of recorder) yet you don't.

Should note if asked: Am using eet and did dlc merg and all that.
    Pretty certain you answered this somewhere, but I did not see where and am pretty sure I know it is a no, but got less time available so figured I would ask. So Sorry in advance.

Is there a way to multi romance in SoD or ee2?

Looked though eekeeper and guessed various console commands based on bgsod's+ee2s romance commands and seems they too different/don't exist though I am not even close to expert.

If not it, it fine and understandable enough just wanted to experience more of it since I doubt I will beat SoD more then 1 more X after having beaten it 1x with normal companions and now likely if have to choose will be Sirene as the romance even though she sadly demands commitment early on. (idk about 2ee yet as that I plan to beat 2+x more probably and got a few mods in it).
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 498
    Alfre4u wrote: »

Am using eet and did dlc merg and all that.
    DLC Merger is mandatory for Steam or GoG versions.
    If you have bought SoD directly at Beamdog, it isn't required.
    edited October 2022
    Pretty certain you answered this somewhere, but I did not see where and am pretty sure I know it is a no, but got less time available so figured I would ask. So Sorry in advance.

Looked though eekeeper and guessed various console commands based on bgsod's+ee2s romance commands and seems they too different/don't exist though I am not even close to expert.

If not it, it fine and understandable enough just wanted to experience more of it since I doubt I will beat SoD more then 1 more X after having beaten it 1x with normal companions and now likely if have to choose will be Sirene as the romance even though she sadly demands commitment early on. (idk about 2ee yet as that I plan to beat 2+x more probably and got a few mods in it).

For the first issue, if you have a pre-grab Vienxay save, try downloading the update I did yesterday and see if it fixed. I really need someone who isn't me to test it.

For the multi romance question, no. I don't check against all mods, so some could work, but many are prevented from running simultaneously for realistic reasons. My characters aren't polygamous.
    edited October 2022
    Trouveur wrote: »

Am using eet and did dlc merg and all that.
    DLC Merger is mandatory for Steam or GoG versions.
    If you have bought SoD directly at Beamdog, it isn't required.

k??? ummm point or anything? confused why you saying this.

Edit:
    O assume maybe you were saying a issue can arise if did this maybe ? If it even worked though assume mod would notice.
    (I got it on steam, did not even have a account for Beam until just now to get help for these so far terrific companion gals I never used until now).
    Post edited by Alfre4u on

For the first issue, if you have a pre-grab Vienxay save, try downloading the update I did yesterday and see if it fixed. I really need someone who isn't me to test it.

For the multi romance question, no. I don't check against all mods, so some could work, but many are prevented from running simultaneously for realistic reasons. My characters aren't polygamous.
    If someone does not test it in far future I will :D , but atm I don't want to risk messing up anything even if this just a simple update as I learned long ago for many games it is typically a thing to not do on a save unless necessary.
    (though I assume just do usual remove eet end then update the mod then re-add eet end but don't want to risk none the less especially with other mods and fact I plan to take this game to the end including BG2 which has a ton more mods attached)

Alright np on the romance thing, I assumed so and thought I read that somewhere.
    Maybe I will do a future play of just quick cheating through the story to see more of it or something. Thanks again and hope you keep up the good work for such a old classic god tier game.
    edited November 2022
    Ran into another issue with her, After she gets shadowbolt she says she eager to learn in next fight how useful it is
    (did some fights nothing came of it) -->assume this maybe just needs like X days to pass or more likely story progression idk.
    But
    I also noticed in her lets talk, there was a option to talk about shadowweave and she said I told her not to use it and its probably for the better since it caused her downfall?? --> sounds like last part of her quest/story or something? unless I am mistaken.

Idk if clicking it can cause a issue or issue already happened. (atm decided to avoid clicking it).

Also sleeping with her did not trigger further talk after or anything though I expect that maybe just needs certain game time or story progression. (tried the C advancerealtime to test and nothing along with many many sleeps so unsure)
    Post edited by Alfre4u on
    There is one more talk for Vienxay and it isn't until near the end, I believe before you go through the portal, so I guess the answer is story-progression.

The line about eagerness is where the quest ends, nothing more about Shadow Bolt.

Clicking on the shadow weave dialogue you did won't cause any issues, it's actually really old dialogue I forgot to remove when I shifted Vienxay completely away from the whole shadow-weave element, thus a dialogue from her old quest that was never cut.
    edited November 2022
    There is one more talk for Vienxay and it isn't until near the end, I believe before you go through the portal, so I guess the answer is story-progression.

The line about eagerness is where the quest ends, nothing more about Shadow Bolt.

Clicking on the shadow weave dialogue you did won't cause any issues, it's actually really old dialogue I forgot to remove when I shifted Vienxay completely away from the whole shadow-weave element, thus a dialogue from her old quest that was never cut.

O ok that makes sense, when reading through the posts saw stuff on deciding to and then later not to incorporate the use a mod of the optional class and that all I could find mentioned close to what I was dealing with.

Shame about it already being over :( , but fully understandable not only because its a mod, life events, etc... but also the fact its SoD which to most is SoL.
    But know I still got 2nd game/tob :) to go through so look forward to seeing more.. though in there they will have a bit more party size competition to contend against and beat up :) .

But ya so far the 3 I am using (Emi/Vien/Rec) and they are quite amazing and as others pointed out so very few mod creators actually go through the process of making actual brand new characters that go from 1-sod-2-tob and usually just stick too 2 and maybe tob if lucky and creators don't unfortunately vanish/have real life important things come up and unable too or w/e come back
    (though obviously there select few like of course Sirene).
    They also really remind me of the mod created companions I got in Icewind Dale (which I am also playing same time currently which is a really great thing).

So again thank you and hope you manage to keep up the great work.

Also
    I Just went back to your site, and guess.. I really should have re-read to figure this was really likely the case for her myself better, as when I read it way back was just assuming was the typical, don't expect companions to truly carry over and remember you as just like base game ones, they won't for most part.
    ->"won't transfer SoD-BG2 she will fall back into old habits and dangerous choices in BG2 and will need the protagonist's guidance and friendship or love to overcome her own darkness. "
    hmm Giant thing I typed up vanished when I went to edit it :( O well I did type far too much.

But just wanted to say thanks a lot again for all the help and effort you putting in, its great too see for such a beloved series.

And that while its a pity that all she got it's fully understandable especially since I know its just a mod and you even went through real life stuff etc... On Top of most find Sod Sol, which I guess, is maybe even part of what the description on your site meant with the "She will need help to overcome her darkness in 2 and forget SoD" --> Originally just assumed this was just pointing out for those that didn't know that companions don't truly carry over, as Mass Effect this not.

Hope you keep up great work.
    edited November 2022
    I'm glad you enjoyed it still!

I'll update the description when I get a chance as well. I think I wrote all of it when BG2's work was still unfinished, and I removed the alignment change in BG1/SoD as I wanted it to be more linear rather than forgetful of what came before.
    Ya I noticed, I am amazed you update here so much more often then your own site, most creators do the opposite :D in my experience, least these days on other games.

(Which imo while often understandable, is often bad and just a way to force drive traffic to them that can at times be hard to know of/find depending on creator etc... more so if they remove/don't link) ---->
    no insult to modders they can do what they want and stuff just funny and good that you do opposite.

• mademan2mademan2 Member Posts: 54
    Heya, question. If you let Vienxay go back to Evermeet in ToB will she come back? I notice that if you do decide to let her go she will gain approval, but not if you ask her to stay even tho she wants to.
    Id like to explore all options but dont want to miss out on having her in my party, could you just let me know if there is a continuation if she goes back to Evermeet or if thats it?
    If you let her go back to Evermeet, it is goodbye, as that would be the end of her story. If she's in love with you IIRC she might resist unless you insist, but if you want her around don't let her leave just yet.
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 245
    Would be nice if by having her love score high enough she never considered the option to go back to Evermeet or was not willing to go there unless the player broke up with her.

An option to get somehow in the elven graces so much as to be allowed to live with her in Evermeet would be great too. Or if not then by playing as an elf be allowed to do so.
    edited January 2023
    That's exactly how the dialogue works at a glance of the code.

Only Elves (I probably could have coded half-elves, but was staying strict with the rules of the land) can get the go to Evermeet with her epilogue.
    No chance for a human or half elf doing some extra Vienxay quest where its possible to gain a LOT of respect from the elven people (or/and some really powerful noble house from Evermeet) to the point of them agreeing to let you stay on Evermeet (though maybe with a Geas placed on you to never cause any harm on the island or any elves there as an extra guarantee)?

I heard something how very respected people like Elminster or Storm can travel there safely.
    In a non-elf story, Vienxay embraces the mainland rather than her homeland, so she never goes to Evermeet in those cases except to say goodbye to her family. Between Suldanessar and the quest ending for Vienxay to be welcomed back at all, the player has probably done enough to win a stay on Evermeet, so is probably a valid, writable ending, and they could have joined her.

But Vienxay is a staunch traditionalist, so would rather visit her homeland one last time and never return again than bring an outsider to its shores. I actually prefer this ending for her anyway, as the best home for her was never Evermeet.
    In a non-elf story, Vienxay embraces the mainland rather than her homeland, so she never goes to Evermeet in those cases except to say goodbye to her family. Between Suldanessar and the quest ending for Vienxay to be welcomed back at all, the player has probably done enough to win a stay on Evermeet, so is probably a valid, writable ending, and they could have joined her.

But Vienxay is a staunch traditionalist, so would rather visit her homeland one last time and never return again than bring an outsider to its shores. I actually prefer this ending for her anyway, as the best home for her was never Evermeet.

Hmmm, does Vienxay view half elves as outsiders too?

I recall how in the forgotten realms novels a half elf named Arilyn managed to earn a moonblade which allowed her to visit Evermeet wherever she wants basically making her as close as one can get to a citizen there unofficially.

Could be rather romantic IMO. ^^

Though I'm cool with what I got now.

Btw, is Vienxay still getting an extra quest/content that was planned before?
    Yes, it's already finished, but I want to update it with the NPC and everything else. I'm starting a Masters in Computer Science, so the update is going a little slower than it would be otherwise.
  • mademan2mademan2 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the quick answer, awesome as always, thanks for your work and best of luck with your degree :)
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    D&D 3.5 has the prestige class called Ruathar or "Elf Friend."
  • Viper_AlveinViper_Alvein Member Posts: 22
    edited February 2023

Ya its in BG2ee override (and just in case mention also in backup, script for bg2ee+sod, translations).

Odd that I got this issue and maybe (assuming have correct latest version of recorder) yet you don't.

Should note if asked: Am using eet and did dlc merg and all that.

Not sure if this ever got figured out, but I came across the issue this morning and might have tracked down the cause of this. Looks like the bg2 version of xv3cut01 is replacing the SOD version for EET.