Skip to content

[mod] Athkatlan Grounds: Alabaster Sands

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680

The Athkatlan Grounds mod series just became even bigger!

Alabaster Sands is a small quest mod from the Athkatlan Grounds quest mod series, which adds new areas and quests to Shadow of Amn's main city location. There is one main quest, and a few smaller ones, all oriented around the titular area, which is nothing else but Athkatla's public beach. So visit the place, help those you'll meet there, and see this brand new part of the City of Coin.

The mod adds 7 new quests that introduce new characters, items, and item graphics.
jdm1u5sabijs.jpg

The mod should work on both BG2EE and BG2 (thanks to @Acifer ). Additional thanks to @Dalmir_The_Dark and @Go_ForTheEyes for helping with this release!

Download
Forum

Comments

• ifnirifnir Member Posts: 4
    This looks so cool :smiley:
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Amazing! I love your Athkatlan Grounds additions. So happy to see another one! :D
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,016
    Great to see, thank you!
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    Thanks! :)
  • bonewhiteglorybonewhiteglory Member Posts: 19
    This looks magical! Thank you, as always <3
  • PeterBazookaPeterBazooka Member Posts: 9
    Great mod as usual. Noticed two issues so far the fish merchant's map note is in the wrong spot (it's by the entrance and not his actual location) and the copper sirine doesn't take her pearl when you complete her quest so I have the wand and the copper pearl. Can I get a hint for where to find the chicken guardian?
    edited November 2022
    Thanks for your report :) And I'm glad you're enjoying the mod so far.

As for the chicken quest
    Check behind the tent - there is a new something / someone in there, but only after you take the quest.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Amazing, can't wait to play this. Thank you Lava
    You're welcome! :)
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    According to my preliminary checks, Alabaster Stands is EET compatible. This was a naive check and not a thorough one. You may need to take it with grains of salt.
    There is a chance it is, because I am not using anything that would need to be adjusted, but I will wait for a report from someone that actually finished the mod on EET before adding "EET" tag on my website. And I think worldmap position may need adjusting on EET.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    I am really enjoying this new mod - as is always the case with your mods. However, I've got a small problem. Even though I think I've been everywhere and talked to everyone (including all the roving commoners) I've only found 5 quests so far. They are
    Yhe artist, the sirine, tyhe chicken quardian, Mr O'Possum and the missing bell.
    Some mild hints about picking up the other 2 quests would be greatly appreciated.
    Also - is it possible to obtain some sunblock so my party can dump their armour and spend a lazy day in the sun ;)
    Thanks for your kind words!
    As for the other quests: one is outside the District - there is a woman on the lower left corner of Waukeen's Promenade that sends you to Alabaster Sands, giving you the purpose to visit the Sands for the first time.

Then, there is also a secret quest that appears only for ~3 hours per day, close to midnight.

Finally, not a quest, but you should visit the guard's tent every few days during the night to see how their relationship grows. Not a quest, but a heartwarming set of encounters.
    Also - is it possible to obtain some sunblock so my party can dump their armour and spend a lazy day in the sun.
    I wish! :D

Cheers!
    re your quote in the spoiler above " .... giving you the purpose to visit the Sands for the first time"

Hey - I'm a kiwi. I never need a reason to go to a beach. If its got sea and sand (and sunblock) I'm there!!
    Hah! Well, I hope you'll enjoy your stay at the Alabaster Sands. the mod isn't big, but I wanted to provide a small and more human-oriented main quest rather than providing some otherworldly threats for PC to handle. Sometimes jobs are simple (and do not include strange parasites or bizarre events) and that's what I decided to stress with this quest mod :)

Cheers! :)
    Remember, you can change your party's skin color in-game. Make 'em bronzer if you want!
    I'm almost ready to head for Spellhold, and I think I've been to almost all of the locations except for the Kangaxx liches, and the Twisted rune but I've still not found two things
    1/. Night coral for the artist quest

2/. The necklace for Mr O'Possum. I spoke to all the merchants on the bridge, but got no clue as to where to find this.
    Hi! :)
    1. The Night Coral is actually a tricky one - the item's name is actually Horn Coral and it's the original item description that has the hint: "Horn Coral, which is also called night coral, is a deep black coral, similar to angel's skin save for its solid color. It is incredibly difficult to work with, and is used in jewelry as a polished twig or branch of material, or is cut cabochon."
    2. IIRC, the one with the necklace is the one that's not far from Bel Delemark, a bit on the left from him.
    I finally got the
    necklace
    off the character you mentioned. Something really odd is happening with her in my game - she's not always where she should be, even at the right time, she doesn't always have the object, and at times she is toally invisible. If I press tab, her name is there, but no body! It's not surprising when I spoke to her before, it wasn't a success.
    Weird... but I'm glad you have the item you've been looking for now :)
  • trebuszętrebuszę Member Posts: 46
    Too much of overpowered stuff in those mods. And EXP on the hilarious side (8k for finding puppy etc)

Deleted :)
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    I like that. There is always the option of
    Not picking it up
  • chibisenseichibisensei Member Posts: 36
    Great mod - love the beach , I can just picture the PC and NPCs in the group taking off their armor/robes (can you imagine Edwina (female Edwin in the party at the moment) in a swim suit - lol) and just chilling after a day of doing quests and dealing with the difficulties of raising enough gold, buying good equipment, haggling with merchants, dealing with muggers and slogging your way through the sewers and dealing with stronghold issues ... losing money on the thieves guild at the moment lol....

Most entertaining part of the the beach quests:
    The fisher man/noblewoman love quest - it was simple and cute; the items - my favorite from the Athkatlan Grouds mod - (I've done 3 Athkatlan Ground mods) so far are from the beach mod: the luck rabbits/hare foot and the possum club (that looks like a flower) - great items - laughed when I read it and the food items - so funny; two remaining quests to do - the painters quest - you need to find so many jewels for that - I have no idea when I can finish it lol ... really 6 pearls - I don't think I've seen that many... and the last one at midnight

One thing I was wondering about:
    there was no reaction from the prison guards when the thief escaped - lol but then again my PC was not blamed so it all worked out lol

Very minor bug issue:
    the merchant with the fear necklace does not always have the necklace in her stock

If you ever plan to update or add new material / items for future mods - I request items for druids and evil clerics if possible :smile:

Overall - great mod :smile:
    the merchant with the fear necklace does not always have the necklace in her stock
    It should always be there, the necklace is added directly into her wares UNLESS you do not start a new game. Then the store is already saved to your save game (if you opened the store at least once before installing the mod).

The quest itself was to give that vibe there is at least some place like that in Athkatla. It's a damn harbor city! So yep, get your drinks, take some towels and enjoy.

As the mod is already translated into a couple of languages, I won't be adding any new content. But there may be new mods with new stuff! Releasing them just takes time.

Cheers!
  • chibisenseichibisensei Member Posts: 36
    The beach is probably the best place in Athkatlan right now - you get sun and sand - and you can camp outside under the sun for free - instead of staying in cheap inns - it just needs a place to buy beer and food ;P lol
    Thanks! :)
    "If the world ends tomorrow, why are there so many well-fed drunks on Athkatla's beach?"

"Lava updated his mod, sir."

"Carry on."
  • Zarams_MomZarams_Mom Member Posts: 6
    I hope this is in correct place. I am stuck on the artist qust. I have made his gem dust and now need some sort of oil and have no clue where to find it.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @LavaDelVortel
    Bumped to help Mom with her question