Skip to content

[MOD] Classic BG UI v1.6

2»

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited May 2023
    I understand. As for myself, I'd probably choose looks, since it's easy enough to keep notes in a text file outside of the game environment, but much nicer on the eyes to read the game's chapter and journal entries against the lovely BG1 backdrop. How about at least including the wallpaper as a landing page if you aim to keep the EE journal system?
    Post edited by Isewein on
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    In the classic BG1, opening the inventory screen would force unpause the game.
    I have discovered you can do the same here editing ui.menu as following (in bold added lines):

menu
    {
    name 'INVENTORY'
    align center center
    ignoreEsc
    greyscale lua "shouldGreyOutInventory()"
    onOpen
    "
    Infinity_ActivateInventory()
    pushSidebars()
    doubleClickEventScheduled = nil
    TT_BuildTitleData('INVENTORY_TITLE', 362, true)
    TT_CreateTitleChars('INVENTORY_TITLE', 'TT_INVENTORY', 40, 'TEMPLATE_titlechar_INVENTORY')
    worldScreen:TogglePauseGame(false)
    "
    onClose
    "
    Infinity_PopMenu('CHARACTER_COLOR')
    Infinity_PopMenu('ITEM_DESCRIPTION')
    popSidebars()
    TT_DestroyTitleChars('INVENTORY_TITLE', 'TEMPLATE_titlechar_INVENTORY')
    worldScreen:TogglePauseGame(false)
    "

If someone knows how to move this into an in-game option, that would be great.

Also I have tried to hide the amount of charges on wands and consumables as in the classic BG1, but could not find a way to do this. Does anyone know if it is even possible?
    edited October 2022
    There is a bug in inventory screen. When opening inventory, the statistics THAC0, Damage, AC etc are displayed correctly, but when changing the equipment they will update with wrong values. You must close and open inventory again to see the correct values.

Edit: the bug appears to happen when switching weapons in quick weapon slots.
    Post edited by gunman on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    This is an amazing mod, kudos!
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    Thank you K4f4r ! This is such a treat! It looks bloody fantastic. A real feel for the original classic UI. I would of paid for this its so well done. Thank you for all your hard work it is greatly appreciated!
  • trebuszętrebuszę Member Posts: 46
    Hi there, thanks for the link to BG Classic Movies. I can't imagine the game without them, the nostalgia is strong ;)
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    @K4f4r: Do you mind if I steal the icons here to integrate them into the spell menu proper?
  • K4f4rK4f4r Member Posts: 14
    Bubb wrote: »
    @K4f4r: Do you mind if I steal the icons here to integrate them into the spell menu proper?

I don't mind, no. But I don't know if adding icons to some niche mod makes a lot of sense.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Member Posts: 3
    I am running into a problem with the Classic Movies when Dragonspear is installed.
    The movies menu does not display right. There is tiny groups of text in it.
    It works right when Dragonspear is not installed.
    The classic movies and interface are the way to go with this game. I can't believe that they removed them.

It also restores the original music and sound bites on the credits.
    AH. I found out what the problem was. Before you do anything, use DlcMerger and merge in Dragonspear.
    Then run the classic movies setup.
    That fixes the problem.
    Yeah, never try to mod Siege of Dragonspear without modmerging first, even if it somehow goes through it will undoubtedly break things.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    edited April 2023
    K4f4r wrote: »
    Green stone UI from original Baldur's Gate for BG:EE

Thank you for this mod, you've done an excellent job and the fidelity to the source design is great!

Two questions for you:

1. Would you consider adding to your git repo the working gimp/psd files you used? I'm imagining that as neural networks get better and better, someone may wish to do another pass on the upscaled BG1 assets in the future.

2. The main options menu, accessed from in-game, is not centered (link). Can you point to right file / general area that I should look at to correct this? If you're interested, I've visually documented all the non-symmetric button layouts as well, but I don't want to blast you with those and seem ungracious for your efforts here. I figure if you can point me to the right area of UI.menu for the main options menu, I can probably figure out the buttons myself.

Oh, and bonus question: where is the text size for hover-tooltips, like the ones that appear when mousing over an NPC, defined? I'm trying to decrease the font size of those by a few points.

Thanks again!

@K4f4r I realize that the options menu behavior I described above is vanilla, owing to Bioware cropping the image and the menu then not being centered. I've shifted STONEOPT and all the other screen elements by -184 px so that they're centered and attached it to this post, if that's useful for you.
    edited April 2023
    K4f4r wrote: »
    Known problems (they're all fixed now):
    1. Not a "problem" per se, but donation bowl is ugly, because after trying to get a proper animation that a) works b) doesn't crash the game c) is not weirdly mirrored or deformed d) has the exact colors I put in in source proved impossible. I settled for bad colors. If someone can get me a proper wbm from THESE frames I could fix it right now. I just can't be bothered to waste my life on ffmpeg.
      I managed to fix it. Only works with SoD, because the base game, for some god forsaken reason, doesn't seem able to handle transparency. Anyway, bowl is now pretty as it was meant to be. Increasing resolution fixed the colors. For whatever reason. They were always fine in normal video player, but the game itself can't handle it when it's too small somehow. This is ffmpeg command line that did the trick if someone's interested:
      ffmpeg.exe  -r 29.970 -f image2 -i DONATE%%05d.png -codec:v libvpx -cpu-used 0 -pix_fmt yuva420p -b:v 2M -qmin 10 -qmax 42 -maxrate 2000k -bufsize 4000k -threads 4 -vf scale=-1:1024 -codec:a libvorbis -b:a 128k -f webm -auto-alt-ref 0 DONATE.wbm

2. Sequencer screen is laggy. Deal breaker in BG2, but in BG1 you almost don't make them (in classic BG you don't period, it's not even in the game). Fixed in 1.5
    3. This one is and isn't more serious. If you don't use EEex, you can skip this paragraph. Basically, when you install it and start the game via InfinityLoader two screens destroy frames - namely CHARGEN_CHOOSESPELLS (where you pick spells for your newly created mage) and CHARGEN_MEMORIZE_MAGE (where you choose what to have memorized at the start).
      By 'destroy frames' I mean, average frame rate can drop to single digits. Second one is the worst - 1-3 spells on the screen and "average fps: 9". First one is even funnier: when I level up sorcerer, screen with 4 level spells is completely fine, no fps drops. When I create new higher level mage in Siege of Dragonspear, level 3 is fine. If you can even begin to explain what's going on (again, only with EEex), you're already smarter than me and you should be in charge of this project.
      If you have some beast rig you can probably plow right through. If you just create your mage without EEex(start with baldur.exe), then save the game and restart, you can bypass this until some real man looks at it and fixes it, because I am at a loss. Or just wait at low fps, not that it's broken, just slow, should work fine.
    Hi K4f4r-

I think there's an issue with how UI.menu handles the Ulgoth "chapter screen" when your mod is used in conjunction with BGEE classic movies and Stratagems component 5080 "Improved textscreen in Tales of the Sword Coast".

I provided more details here: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55573-mod-bgee-classic-movies/page-5#entry615067

TLDR; the Ulgoth screen is using vanilla BG:EE UI assets, despite my override folder containing the correct versions of ULGOTHST.MOS/.PNG. I poked around UI.menu starting at line 12860 and see you made allowances for the SCS component but I don't believe it's working.

From what I can tell, stratagem's /gameplay/totsc_textscreens.tpa creates a new 2da (dwguiulb.2da) to invoke a non-standard nomenclature for the new graphic, dwguiulb.mos which has the offending image compressed in mos0227.pvrz

A crude fix is to take your ULGOTHST.png and generate a mos starting at index 227 and simply replace the offending stratagems files. I uploaded my hokey fix to the linked SHS post.

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Is this EET compatible? If so, where should it be installed in the install order?

Thankee!
    @K4f4r Thanks for adding the option to force unpause the game in inventory. Is it possible to add an option to hide wands/item charges as in original BG1?
    gunman wrote: »
    @K4f4r Thanks for adding the option to force unpause the game in inventory. Is it possible to add an option to hide wands/item charges as in original BG1?

Not via UI mod, no.
    slotinfo "characters[id].equipment.group0"

- this is literally all the info I get, everything else hides somewhere else in the engine.

This is why you can't do much with those action slots at the bottom either, I would have changed them to original order. Hell, it won't even let me have different looking slots like in the original without some hacks that I refuse to do, because it's asking for trouble.
  • TiaxTheSadTiaxTheSad Member Posts: 6
    This mod pushes my nostalgia button perfectly. Thanks for making it!
  • ThorleifThorleif Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am using your mod and like it deeply, but for some reason the dialog menu is not working. I am using last updated version of BG1EE + SoD and czech translate. I dont get even pause notification, or any other text, it is just dead box :)
    Had you ever met this before?
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Could anyone confirm whether or not this is compatible with subtledoctor's Arcana Unearthed Mods? Does this allow you to scroll when adding more kits to the game?

Thanks in advance!
  • rubber_plantrubber_plant Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2023
    Looks like the combat log does not work properly when the game is in Polish. The background looks fine, but no text appears.
    I'll let you know if I find a way to fix this.

@Thorleif looks like we're having the same issue.
    @K4f4r do you maybe have an idea of what might be wrong here?
    Post edited by rubber_plant on
  • WOLigmaWOLigma Member Posts: 1
    I cant find the iHaveSCS in the UI.menu to change the value to true so this isn't working for me, I've tried ctrl + f and I cant find it anywhere in there.
  • DarkJaguarDarkJaguar Member Posts: 4
    An amazing mod! I've got a question. Is there any chance this might get converted to a Weidu mod? It'd make it easier to work in compatibility with other UI mods and easily "reverse" it's install that way.
  • BrekekBrekek Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have problems with the font in the title if I change the languagedimljoe9bm05.png
  • LankanLankan Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2023
    Thank you for this amazing mod, I would like the request a mod like this for Baldurs Gate 2 EE, but with the Baldurs Gate 2 "Classic/original" UI instead, if this is possible, I have been wanting something like that for a long time, since I really love the original Baldurs Gate 2 UI as well as the original Baldurs Gate 1, the EE UI's I am not a fan of at all, they look very cheap and poorly made overall, sadly. Regards, Lankan.