Skip to content

Just passing through - my no reload quandry?

Havn't visited the boards for a few years (where does the time go!) but I've decided this year I'll attempt a play through of all bg and thought I'd stop by and reaquaint myself with a few ins and outs. I don't get much time for playing games these days and I havn't played bg at all for 3 years, but before that I used to play strictly no reload. The issue now is, with time constraints, I'm wondering if I should drop that. And then I worry that I won't enjoy the game as much without that gnawing fear of game over! Have other people faced the same quandry?

Comments

• RansuriasRansurias Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2023
    For me, I can accept the possibility of a game over. What really bothers me about no-reload runs is the stupid stuff that can happen which can completely ruin my enjoyment of the game -- for example, just tonight, I ended up losing two party members after Baeloth inexplicably decided to march forward a few steps during the Durlag's Tower chess event and aggro the entire board while I was trying to cast a spell. After clicking the rest button, I found that all loot on the ground had despawned, presumably due to a game engine feature that helps prevent excess item clutter for the sake of game stability. Obviously I reloaded.

So, according to the no-reload rule, I would have to accept the fact that my fallen companions' equipment magically decayed (along with a sweet +3 two-handed sword) thanks to a fourth-wall feature during a short rest period. My bad for not collecting their items off the ground before clicking the rest button, I guess? That kind of stuff is maddeningly stupid and ridiculous. Dying is one thing, but losing your rare and valuable items to a magical decay feature? Lel, no thanks.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    That's a bit of what you like to do.
    You could put things in a container in the area, then resurrect and return. You could also Ctrl-R to resurrect and dump some gold somewhere.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    Personally I much prefer minimum reload to no-reload and for many of the same reasons (time constraints). I play much too little these days due to family, work, etc.

Given how much time I devote to charname creation and background, I find no- reload too frustrating and even demotivating. But I very much respect all of the no-reload warriors and follow their posted runs religiously, vicariously living through their exploits!

Perhaps a compromise and you craft your own minimum reload rules. For example, I let NPCs get chunked, let non-plot items get lost, and let missed quests or items remain missed. I also allow charname death if I do stupid or take lots of risk. But if charname dies due to really bad rolls when I did everything right, well I may restart that game.

Usually I find I need to reload maybe one time in SCS BGEE, 0-1 times in Siege, and then as many as I accept as fair in BG2 as I do not know the game so well these days.