Skip to content

Trying to add in a character

ThaliaTheliThaliaTheli Member Posts: 6
Hi guys! Im new to Icewind Dale and Crpgs in general and started playing the game with 4 characters. THe problem is, 2 of those characters are mages, (sorc and necro), one is pure cleric, and one is barbarian. I've been having a lot of trouble in the game because of how vulnerable my squishies are since there are essentially 3 of them out of 4. I painstakingly made it all the way to Dragon's eye, but the caves are destroying me in every way possible.

I've come so far over so many hours (13 hours so far because of my weak party and my not remembering to save) that I'm very invested in my characters. I dont want to restart the game and was wondering if there was any way at all to just add another party member? I installed EEKeeper because I thought maybe that was the way to do it, but I honestly would not know how to go forward on that. Anything helps, ty!

Comments

• YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    edited February 2023
    Normally, U can't add members to your party.

However, your group is strong enough to complete the game even on the highest Heart of Fury difficulty. Please describe exactly what kind of fights cause problems for U. Use a lot of summons in front of your party in order to protect spellcasters. 😎
    Post edited by Yigor on
  • ThaliaTheliThaliaTheli Member Posts: 6
    The altar part with the trolls and priests is really messing me up! i need to cast area fire magic but that destroys the summons. my berserker specializes in axes but the only flaming/acid weapons have are swords so they cant do much. For some reason every troll and priest aggros at the same time on me from the altar which is really messing me up
    Hmm... don't try to kill all enemies in the single fight, retreat to the previous flow and rest.

However, having troubles at this stage, U will suffer in the fight with Dragon's Eye boss Yxunomei. 🐉
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited February 2023
    Hi @ThaliaTheli, you could probably add a char one of two ways. Not sure what OS you are playing in, so if you can't find your save folder, ask away.

The most common method would be to copy your latest saved game from \save to \mpsave (if the folder doesn't exist, just create it so that it sits in the same folder as \save). Start a multiplayer game to the point where you are checking off the characters that are playing. Add your new character and start the game. Save, exit the game and copy the saved game back to your \save folder.
    Depending on whether you are role playing or not, if you protect your new char early in the game, it wont be long before they would be in the front row swinging their weapon with the best of them, or you can give your char some XP (after all, they wouldn't be in the wilderness without have had a fight or two... would make a good back story for him/her) and carry on from there.

The other way may have some unwanted results... That would be to add a NPC mod (as long as the NPC is not in the areas you have visited already) and hope to meet them along the way. It isn't a good idea to add mods part way through your game , but it could happen...

@Yigor is right that you could beat the game with the chars you have. You would just need to work on the tactics to win the battles. Another front line hitter wouldn't hurt though.

Happy Gaming
    Gus

Edit: Just thought of a third way. You could find someone in the game and as long as your cheats are active (and playing with a keyboard), you could hover over them and press CTRL-Q to force them to joint the party. Not sure if this would cause any future problems (and I wouldn't pick anyone that had any part of the game ie: with scripted talks etc). You will also need to look at the char type to make sure it is what you are looking for...
    edited February 2023
    Thank you for the tips @Gusinda! In the end I was able to defeat the talonite priests at the altar and ever since then it has been getting slightly easier to deal with similar mobs of enemies due to my mage getting better/stronger spells and my berserkers THACO and attack numbers going up (down?). I might just go on with the party as it is now for pride reasons :sweat_smile: Very useful stuff to know just in case I decide that my pride's worth is less than my time's lol
    Yigor wrote: »
    Hmm... don't try to kill all enemies in the single fight, retreat to the previous flow and rest.
    I ended up doing this a ton with the undead hordes in the next floor, thanks for the tip!
    Yigor wrote: »
    I ended up doing this a ton with the undead hordes in the next floor, thanks for the tip!

U are welcome! 😉 Good luck in the fight with Yxunomei!

Tip: The door behind U will be closed until Yxunomei is dead. However, there are 2 adjacent rooms. Clear first these rooms from all lizardmen. If the fight with Yxunomei is too difficult (try to avoid a direct melee), retreat quickly to the back of those rooms, save your game and rest (in the middle of the fight LoL). I sometimes used this (a bit cheating) tactics in my solo HoF games. 😎
    Here's a description of the fight of my solo dwarven defender with Yxunomei (Heart of Fury difficulty):

"My char has just beaten Yxunomei (186,000XP) and passed from lvl 26 to lvl 27. Well, the fight was a bit dodgy. Since Yxunomei's appartments are big, Beowulf just ran in circles throwing Returning Axe+2. With THAC0 = -8 and highmastery in axes, it was not too long. ⏳"

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/82682/dwarven-defender-with-lonesome-road-3
    edited February 2023
    In an other HoF game my Berserker/Cleric petrified Yxunomei in a melee with a flail bought in Lonelywood (completed before Dragon's Eye). However, it was a very lucky hit (5% of petrification, failed saving throw). 😎

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/82639/hof-solo-berserker-cleric-or-berserker-thief