Skip to content

EET variant that doesn't require SoD?

AxwindAxwind Member Posts: 28
edited March 2023 in BGII:EE Mods
Has that been developed yet? A version of EET that doesn't require SoD to even be installed but which can transfer right from BG:EE to BGII:EE like the original BGT mod? I don't have SoD and don't plan on getting it - too much bad press and too many bad decisions by Beamdog (I use mods to remove their new NPCs from the game), and I know many people have found it lacking.

Those of us who aren't interested in SoD should be able to use the EET without having to install an expansion we have no intention of playing just to get the mod to run. Requiring SoD and not having an alternate version which doesn't seems like a bit of an oversight to me. If this hasn't been done yet, are there plans to make a non-SoD version of the EET?
Post edited by Axwind on

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    To my present understanding, EET simply requires SoD on a technical level.

There are ways via mods to skip the SoD campaign - which has been updated since many of the bad launch-era reviews - if you're on EET.
  • AxwindAxwind Member Posts: 28
    I know it can be skipped, but it still has to be installed in the first place. What I'd been hoping for was a version that didn't need it to even be installed at all. How has SoD been updated to fix the issues? I've read a bit about it, how different the returning characters are from how they were in BG1 (personality-wise) and how bad the writing often is, among other things. Apparently the head writer didn't do BG or its story any favors with SoD's plot and how she treated the returning cast, plus I've never liked the three new characters they added (Neera, Rasaad, Dorn) so I've modded them out of my installation of BG1:EE. I prefer an experience that's closer to the originals.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    I'm tempted to answer that you are looking for BGT and the classic games. Not sure why you expect k4thos to maintain an EET version (suggested by your words "should be able to use the EET without having to install an expansion") that leaves out an official EE campaign. On a technical note: BG:EE and BG:SoD differ in some details, it's not just about leaving the extra content out.
    If on sale, SoD can be down to 5,-€ so it's really not a big deal.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    There are mods to polish on SoD's writing already (Road to Discovery, Boareskyr Bridge Scene). I also expect Beamdog's writing gettiing reevaluated positively when BG3 hits the shelves, because I doubt Larian resist assinating the characters (especially in light of how Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy blatantly butchered the cast and according to current WotC policies, is more relevant as a resource and reference than BG1 or BG2 is). Then again, Larian's writing is bad on it's own already, they don't need outside help to mess legacy characters up.

I don't think it even matters what the press says, considering that the press became a paid advertizing channel even by the time SoD was released. Again, just look at Larian, they dismissed the original games in one interview and the press presented it in a way that people didn't even called them out on it - seriously, your claims about Beamdog are more applicable to that studio.

Also, the backhanded entitlement pisses me off. There's no gain in providing yet another platform variant to get all mods standardized on. It took EET a lot of effort to get where it is now and treating it having "oversights" on this front is a fairly ludicrous claim, especially considering the technical achievement of it beiing possible on a moving platform - since unlike BGT which arrived after the original patches were already finished, EET always hads to be updated after and against EE patches. And noone from this so-claimed "crowd" stood up to build that SoDless variant and stand by it. (Disclaimer: I'm contributing to EET.)

SoD is here to stay. I don't think EET ever had a plan to cut it out, while more and more mods are written to try referencing it and better integrating it to BG2. That is the only oversight from Beamdog in my eyes, that they couldn't put a DLC together to extend BG2 with some SoD-derived references to better integrate the interquel.

Besides, BGT isn't close to the originals either with the Mae'Var interlude coming from nowhere.
    edited March 2023
    SoD might be official, but not by Bioware. It was shoehorned in long after the fact, when the BG1-2 story was already complete, and it shouldn't be necessary to enjoy the saga. It's not about entitlement, it's about recognizing that even now, not everyone wants to have anything to do with SoD. And you don't know there's no gain in having a SoDless version of EET. That's just your opinion. Your point of view isn't the only one, and you might try looking beyond it for once. EET's creators have developed so many options yet failed to provide a means of not requiring SoD to even be installed.

Surely there's a way to have a simple flag or something that checks the system upon installation of the mod - if SoD's there, certain elements would be active. If not, they wouldn't be and a player could go right from BG1EE to BG2EE in an environment where SoD doesn't exist. That actually doesn't require a separate version of EET, just a means for it to active/deactivate certain elements of it depending on SoD's presence/absence on the system.

And when I'm talking about the writing, I'm talking about things like Safana's complete personality change, Minsc's infamous comment, certain controversial NPCs, and all the social meta material the head writer injected that led to the uproar and backlash, etc. Unless there are mods that completely wipe all that out and correct everything Amber Scott did, I doubt I'd be interested in SoD.
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 250
    edited March 2023
    Axwind wrote: »
    SoD might be official, but not by Bioware. It was shoehorned in long after the fact, when the BG1-2 story was already complete, and it shouldn't be necessary to enjoy the saga. It's not about entitlement, it's about recognizing that even now, not everyone wants to have anything to do with SoD. And you don't know there's no gain in having a SoDless version of EET. That's just your opinion. Your point of view isn't the only one, and you might try looking beyond it for once. EET's creators have developed so many options yet failed to provide a means of not requiring SoD to even be installed.

Surely there's a way to have a simple flag or something that checks the system upon installation of the mod - if SoD's there, certain elements would be active. If not, they wouldn't be and a player could go right from BG1EE to BG2EE in an environment where SoD doesn't exist. That actually doesn't require a separate version of EET, just a means for it to active/deactivate certain elements of it depending on SoD's presence/absence on the system.

And when I'm talking about the writing, I'm talking about things like Safana's complete personality change, Minsc's infamous comment, certain controversial NPCs, and all the social meta material the head writer injected that led to the uproar and backlash, etc. Unless there are mods that completely wipe all that out and correct everything Amber Scott did, I doubt I'd be interested in SoD.

I am not the biggest fan of SoD; however, what you are asking is going to take many long hours to mod for a very extreme, niche use case that most users of EET will not have. I'm guessing you have only read about SoD since it sounds like you don't own nor have you played it. I agree, there is a lot I do not like about it and frequently skip SoD (I'm currently undecided if I am going to complete or skip it on my current playthrough. To clarify, I play without EXP Cap, so I skip SoD so I don't enter BG2EE overleveled), but SoD is canon at this point. It's entirely your choice not to pay the $6 or so for SoD and you can enjoy BGEE and BG2EE separately. If you do buy SoD, then there are plenty of options to remove the SoD content in EET. If you haven't played it before, I would encourage playing it at least once and form your own opinions on it versus other people's perspectives.

Regarding BG3, I haven't followed anything regarding it nor have I played the beta. It seems too far removed from the series I fell in love with years ago.
    Post edited by morpheus562 on

EVERY mod which is installed on top of EET would also need to check for this. The current assumption is that EET provides the SoD assets and this is relevant to stuff like animation and sound lookups, map icons, the list goes on. That's not just within EET's scope but something which affects the entire scene. I have brought up this point in my previous post already. It's not an "opinion" just because you refused to comprehend it.

And I love the last paragraph showcasing the entitlement and accusations which the post wasn't about. Most of those were toned down already years ago - Safana isn't even consistent, Mizhena was toned down (and tbh Ed Greenwood always implied that the Forgotten Realms setting includes characters like such) and the Minsc line was axed. Safana doesn't matter because Safana's BG2 take was already a massive OOC compared to BG1, so there's no consistency to speak about.

If that's you best attempt at persuading people to build such a mod for you, then good luck, but maybe change your passive aggression.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 498
    I actually think Safana SoD is a good bridge between BGEE Safana and BG2EE Safana.
    Mizhena new lines with new quests are really good, far better than her initial talk at SoD launch.

EVERY mod which is installed on top of EET would also need to check for this. The current assumption is that EET provides the SoD assets and this is relevant to stuff like animation and sound lookups, map icons, the list goes on. That's not just within EET's scope but something which affects the entire scene. I have brought up this point in my previous post already. It's not an "opinion" just because you refused to comprehend it.

And I love the last paragraph showcasing the entitlement and accusations which the post wasn't about. Most of those were toned down already years ago - Safana isn't even consistent, Mizhena was toned down (and tbh Ed Greenwood always implied that the Forgotten Realms setting includes characters like such) and the Minsc line was axed. Safana doesn't matter because Safana's BG2 take was already a massive OOC compared to BG1, so there's no consistency to speak about.

If that's you best attempt at persuading people to build such a mod for you, then good luck, but maybe change your passive aggression.

I'll admit I didn't know that about other mods checking for SoD content. But perhaps the assumption you spoke of, which demands SoD be installed, shouldn't ever have been factored in. In my opinion, mods should provide options for all users, not just cater to some and leave others out. Good to know Minsc's line is gone, but nobody's tried modding Safana to be consistent across all the games? Just wondering when Ed made that implication - during the time when SoD came out, or back when FR was first created? Because if it's the former, then that might've been said only in response to the backlash. I don't know, I'm just asking.

And disagreement isn't passive aggression.
    Trouveur wrote: »
    I actually think Safana SoD is a good bridge between BGEE Safana and BG2EE Safana.
    Mizhena new lines with new quests are really good, far better than her initial talk at SoD launch.

Does Mizhena still beat you over the head with what she is and what she wants to be called, or can you avoid that dialogue branch if you want to? Nothing against certain people, but there's a difference between that sort of thing being developed organically and being pushed in one's face for an agenda.
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 250
    edited March 2023

I'll admit I didn't know that about other mods checking for SoD content. But perhaps the assumption you spoke of, which demands SoD be installed, shouldn't ever have been factored in. In my opinion, mods should provide options for all users, not just cater to some and leave others out. Good to know Minsc's line is gone, but nobody's tried modding Safana to be consistent across all the games? Just wondering when Ed made that implication - during the time when SoD came out, or back when FR was first created? Because if it's the former, then that might've been said only in response to the backlash. I don't know, I'm just asking.

Does Mizhena still beat you over the head with what she is and what she wants to be called, or can you avoid that dialogue branch if you want to? Nothing against certain people, but there's a difference between that sort of thing being developed organically and being pushed in one's face for an agenda.

Mods do account for all play styles. They account for BGEE, BG2EE, and EET. With what you want, you'll play BGEE and import to BG2EE, and mods account for that.

Ed didn't need to say anything about the Mizhena thing, there is already a girdle of gender change and the Edwina sub-plot in the existing base game. It's already there and canon over a decade before SoD came onto the scene. New mod idea for a writer out there is to give Mizhena the girdle of gender change in BGEE as a quest under the person's birth name. In SoD, have a dialogue of "hey, you look familiar", then launch into SoD dialog.

I personally think the writing is bad, but luckily you can skip over it and work has been done to improve some rougher sections. There are some actually fun dungeons in the game with some fun encounters, best vanilla ai, and good loot.
    Post edited by morpheus562 on
    tHiS iSn'T aBoUt eNtItLeMeNt!
    But perhaps the assumption you spoke of, which demands SoD be installed, shouldn't ever have been factored in. In my opinion, mods should provide options for all users, not just cater to some and leave others out.

I am entitled to tell modders how do they write theiir mods and they catering to themselves is wrong!

Oh, shut up, Karen. Despite the fact how much you don't know the setting, you act bold.

But here, have some Ed Greenwood.

Elminster - The Making of a Mage - Mystra changes Elminster's gender to better hide her. 1994.
    Yes, males participate in almost all rituals, as lay worshippers (as Zandilar quite correctly pointed out). This includes the High Hunt, the Run, and the Circle of Song. Yes, there are rituals that males are excluded from, AS MALES (such as almost all of the longer, more passionate dances). However, increasingly males openly plead with Eilistraeen priestesses to be magically shapechanged so as to take part in such rituals, and the priestesses (if they have the means to do so), oblige them (sometimes the change is brief and temporary, fading out as the ritual ends, and sometimes it lasts for days or much longer, while the shapechanged being undertakes a service for the clergy).

Ed Greenwood, 2006, on the topic of Eilistraee. http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_101112-06.htm The same link also includes this excerpt from Ed:
    "Ed quote: [[Roedele Thornmantle, knighted by Azoun for her services to the Crown (some have cattily referred to these as "personal services," but they seem to center around alley-fighting in rebellious Arabel, not anything romantic with the Purple Dragon), uses as her arms a circular white unicorn, head to the sinister, on a circular field of dark green bordered with white flames, and is a CG hf W9 who dwells in Suzail with her two lovers, the War Wizards Abrult Morglam (CG hm W6, darkly handsome, short, whittling wooden caricatures and dragons is his constant hobby) and Jakanna Bruen (NG hf W7, short-tempered, energetic, tanned, loves to climb trees and play pranks); the three are inseparable. Roedele's known for a polite public manner that displays a very dry humour. [I don't think TSR was ready to show the world two bisexual ladies in 1986].]] Not just bisexual, but a true triad if the two women are both bisexual... A full on polyamorous relationship. So I can see even more reason why they might not have appeared in print. Hard enough to get people to accept sexualities other than heterosexual, let alone true polyamory. Though I suppose if it was somehow presented as the two women being Abrult's wives it might have been marginally more acceptable to some, since polygamy has a long history... Particularly in the judeo-christian faith (though it has fallen out of favour in recent times... there are still some Mormons who practice polygamy, so I understand - not sure if there are any Jewish or Muslim sects that still practice it)."

[[I have heard that there are, but yes, I agree that it developed into a true triad, and that such a thing would have been verboten in TSR novels at the time, except as a very 'hidden and inexplicit, in the background, buddy movie' sort of way. I tend to be so matter-of-fact about such relationships that I'm often surprised, even after all this time, when editors gasp and say, "We can't include THAT!" about various matters. After all, I work in a library in a town where two wrinkled and very 'proper' ladies in their eighties, unmarried and living together, can openly stand in the most public spot in the town library, as I, about a foot away from them, check out the library books they've chosen, and angrily tell a third lady that they've just driven all the way to Toronto and back, and their favourite shop in which to buy dildoes has closed down and gone! The general local attitude is "Live and let live" and "None of my business what X and Y do, so long as it don't scare the horses," but local attitudes in other locales around the world can, of course, be VERY different.]]

Candlekeep is a goldmine for Ed Greenwood thoughts and I'm pretty sure I could find more. This only tookl me 3 minutes.
    No, she gives a quest to recover her lost amulet, then she talks about why the amulet means a lot for her, and then you can ask her why, and she explains the amulet was given to her by her parents as a symbol of her acceptance.
    Later, there is another quest to save Mizhena's father from crusaders.

And Safana in BGEE have so few lines of texts, I fail to see how someone could say Safana in SoD is not faithful to her. She still flirts with men and women, cheats on you, is selfish... But there is now some hints about her darker side, which is fully revealed in BG2EE.

You really shouldn't listen so much to a vocal minority about SoD, most players like it.

Mods do account for all play styles. They account for BGEE, BG2EE, and EET. With what you want, you'll play BGEE and import to BG2EE, and mods account for that.

Ed didn't need to say anything about the Mizhena thing, there is already a girdle of gender change and the Edwina sub-plot in the existing base game. It's already there and canon over a decade before SoD came onto the scene. New mod idea for a writer out there is to give Mizhena the girdle of gender change in BGEE as a question under the person's birth name. In SoD, have a dialogue of "hey, you look familiar", then launch into SoD dialog.

I personally think the writing is bad, but luckily you can skip over it and work has been done to improve some rougher sections. There are some actually fun dungeons in the game with some fun encounters, best vanilla ai, and good loot.

I knew about the girdle, but it's possible it was just intended as a joke item. Some people think everything in the game has to have this extra double meaning, but even Frued said that sometimes a cake is just a cake. Same for the Edwina subplot - I don't much about it, but I know it's there. Could've just been meant as another joke. Like I said, not everything has to have a message attached to it.

Mods do a lot, but if they accounted for all play styles, then EET would've been developed to not require SoD to be installed, with its components only being active if it was. And the writing being bad makes sense given that it was done by an entirely different person who didn't have anything to do with the source material and didn't care what she did to it or its legacy. That kind of thing shouldn't be supported.

Also, when the game's developer (aka Julius Borisov) is disingenuously trying to discredit negative reviewers by falsely claiming they didn't play the DLC when he had to know that the time played is tracked by the base game, NOT the expansion, that alone shows the expansion is crap. One doesn't resort to lying and attempting to stifle criticism unless the product in question is not a good one.
    tHiS iSn'T aBoUt eNtItLeMeNt!
    But perhaps the assumption you spoke of, which demands SoD be installed, shouldn't ever have been factored in. In my opinion, mods should provide options for all users, not just cater to some and leave others out.

I am entitled to tell modders how do they write theiir mods and they catering to themselves is wrong!

Oh, shut up, Karen. Despite the fact how much you don't know the setting, you act bold.

But here, have some Ed Greenwood.

Elminster - The Making of a Mage - Mystra changes Elminster's gender to better hide her. 1994.
    Yes, males participate in almost all rituals, as lay worshippers (as Zandilar quite correctly pointed out). This includes the High Hunt, the Run, and the Circle of Song. Yes, there are rituals that males are excluded from, AS MALES (such as almost all of the longer, more passionate dances). However, increasingly males openly plead with Eilistraeen priestesses to be magically shapechanged so as to take part in such rituals, and the priestesses (if they have the means to do so), oblige them (sometimes the change is brief and temporary, fading out as the ritual ends, and sometimes it lasts for days or much longer, while the shapechanged being undertakes a service for the clergy).

Ed Greenwood, 2006, on the topic of Eilistraee. http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_101112-06.htm The same link also includes this excerpt from Ed:
    "Ed quote: [[Roedele Thornmantle, knighted by Azoun for her services to the Crown (some have cattily referred to these as "personal services," but they seem to center around alley-fighting in rebellious Arabel, not anything romantic with the Purple Dragon), uses as her arms a circular white unicorn, head to the sinister, on a circular field of dark green bordered with white flames, and is a CG hf W9 who dwells in Suzail with her two lovers, the War Wizards Abrult Morglam (CG hm W6, darkly handsome, short, whittling wooden caricatures and dragons is his constant hobby) and Jakanna Bruen (NG hf W7, short-tempered, energetic, tanned, loves to climb trees and play pranks); the three are inseparable. Roedele's known for a polite public manner that displays a very dry humour. [I don't think TSR was ready to show the world two bisexual ladies in 1986].]] Not just bisexual, but a true triad if the two women are both bisexual... A full on polyamorous relationship. So I can see even more reason why they might not have appeared in print. Hard enough to get people to accept sexualities other than heterosexual, let alone true polyamory. Though I suppose if it was somehow presented as the two women being Abrult's wives it might have been marginally more acceptable to some, since polygamy has a long history... Particularly in the judeo-christian faith (though it has fallen out of favour in recent times... there are still some Mormons who practice polygamy, so I understand - not sure if there are any Jewish or Muslim sects that still practice it)."

[[I have heard that there are, but yes, I agree that it developed into a true triad, and that such a thing would have been verboten in TSR novels at the time, except as a very 'hidden and inexplicit, in the background, buddy movie' sort of way. I tend to be so matter-of-fact about such relationships that I'm often surprised, even after all this time, when editors gasp and say, "We can't include THAT!" about various matters. After all, I work in a library in a town where two wrinkled and very 'proper' ladies in their eighties, unmarried and living together, can openly stand in the most public spot in the town library, as I, about a foot away from them, check out the library books they've chosen, and angrily tell a third lady that they've just driven all the way to Toronto and back, and their favourite shop in which to buy dildoes has closed down and gone! The general local attitude is "Live and let live" and "None of my business what X and Y do, so long as it don't scare the horses," but local attitudes in other locales around the world can, of course, be VERY different.]]

Candlekeep is a goldmine for Ed Greenwood thoughts and I'm pretty sure I could find more. This only tookl me 3 minutes.

You mean "to hide HIM" because El was only changed temporarily. He was reverted to his true self later. Also, having such people in FR doesn't mean they have to be shoved in every campaign and game and pushed in people's faces. Better to reflect reality, where only a very small percentage of people (2-5%) are that way. Them not appearing in every piece of FR content doesn't mean they don't exist, it's just being faithful to real-life statistics.

Which brings me to another gripe with Beamdog's additions. All three of their new characters (Neera, Rasaad, and Dorn) are bi, but unless you deliberately go looking for people like that, the odds of encountering three of them at once are incredibly small. Making all 3 characters that way comes across as a cheap PR stunt. Bioware, at least, learned from Dragon Age II and didn't repeat that mistake with Inquisition, where only 1 or 2 party members weren't straight, which is more realistic. Representation is fine, but only if it's done organically and unobtrusively, like DA:O and DA:I did.

Protip for GraionDilach: Mockery of any kind instantly destroys the credibility of anything you might say. Because it shows you're completely incapable of making conversation without insults or name-calling, which means you feel your argument can't stand without them. Oh, and using someone's name as an insult is very poor taste as well. It's a form of generalization, and generalizations are always wrong because there are always exceptions and people are not monolithic blocks that can be dismissed at will.

And no, I'm not telling anyone what to do with their mods. I was simply sharing an opinion - that I think it would've been better if EET had been developed to not require SoD (it wasn't part of the original BG story anyway). I didn't know you felt so threatened by it that you felt you had to twist it into something it wasn't. Disagreement and opinion are not entitlement. And Beamdog doesn't care about you, no need to go white-knighting for them.

I posted this thread asking a simple question. There was no need for you to lash out, GraionDilach. A polite answer with no vitriol or negative remarks - in other words, simply answering the question without condemning me for asking it (which you did with the "backhanded entitlement" comment and other condescending remarks about my point of view) - would've reflected much better on you and made me more willing to listen to what you had to say. Next time, watch your own aggression before going off on others for what you think is theirs.

I'll close with this scathing review of SoD (which has mixed reviews) on Steam by DumbBeard:
    I usually try to be funny in my reviews, but this time I can barely do that. I also normally just post "X 10/10 WOULD Y AGAIN" or try to be short. but not this time. This time I feel like this game warrents a lengthy, strongly worded review. Apoligies in advance for scattered grammar, giant mutant paragraphs bordering on walls of text, run-on sentances, and spelling mistakes.

Everything about this expansion went straight to hell. I tried. I really tried to give it a chance. Even getting the original voice actors, having Baeloth as a companion, and seeing Tiax knock himself out in his own prison cell, everything good in this game is lost under layer after level of filth. They took Baldur's Gate, ate it, didn't even chew most of it, and just ♥♥♥♥ it out right onto the fanbase's eyes. A game that I felt was a part of what made me.

1) All your beloved characters from the first game are shoved into a rusted woodchipper and replaced with what might as well be cardboard cut outs they're so flat now. Whatever character isn't twisted beyond recognition is given the most irritating voice lines you will ever hear in your life. Just try to listen to Edwin prattle on about building a dungeon to store his riches, or some other completely inane, scenery-chewing crap and just try not to yell "SHUT UP! FOR THE LOVE OF BHALL SHUT THE ♥♥♥♥ UP!"

2) Remember all the exploring you could do in the other two games? Kiss that goodbye. They railroad you right along. Oh did you want to go back for something? Tough ♥♥♥♥. They're gonna push you right along whether you want it or not,

3) Game now CTDs whenever the hell it feels like it at the time of writing 4/8/2016. This might change in time but all the other still stands

4) Offers nothing for your playthrough of BG2. That bag of holding you saved up for? You'd think they'd let you keep that in your BG2 run (or even BG1.) Nope. Kiss that goodbye, More abilities from CHARNAME'S divine blood? Haha NOPE. None that I've seen. Why would I sit through a cringey expansion, that gives me nothing, when I can cut out the middle man and import to BG2?

5) Confusing quests can make the game unfinishable, and will raise your blood pressure as you desperately seek a way to get to the next chapter to get this over with. I wasn't given clear instructions on one quest and now I can't even move on to the next part. I spent maybe an hour trying desperately to find out how to finish, looking everywhere, and nothing. I just ragequit right there.

6) The writing. Ironically this is the same game that inspired me to write and draw fantasy stuff. Turning up the irony factor the writing seems more braindead and forced than anything I wrote back in the 7th grade. Characters become insufferable, the ending, which I have seen on youtube, seemed like it was written by someone having a brain anuerysm, real world politics being forced into everything. The writer has gone on record as saying she doesn't care how forced her writing is. "and if you don't like it, too bad." I used to write about Orc Nazis (and datadyne, I wasn't very original) and even I found most of the writing to be pure liquid cringe.

7) No freedom: If you played a really high level bad guy in either game you know what I'm talking about. Flaming Fist or Knights of the Radiant Heart flying at you to try and stop you whenever you stroll into town. Randomly fireballing crowded areas. Just going on a good ol' rampage! Welp, that's gone too. Hit one peasant and POOF! Flaming fist wizard mary sue comes and ends your gameplay with one spell.

8) The kicker: Everyone at beamdog believes that all criticism is from bigotted "cis white males" and that anyone who has a problem with it aren't real Baldur's Gate Fans. (I've been playing this since that glorious summer in 2001, you frauds!) Are you even mildly upset with the writing? "OMG TRANSPHOBIA! MISOGYNY! HALP! HARASSMENT!" I kept trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, giving them room to come back hat in hand, and so far all they've done is released a backhanded statement accusing it's critics of "death threats and harassment."

Did any good come of this? Just one thing: I learned a valuable lesson about trusting devs and buying things at release - Don't! Never blindly trust a dev. Even a small one.

tl;dr: I'd call this garbage, but garbage can be recycled. This is toxic waste. It's poorly written, buggy (again as of 4/8/2016) rage-inducing, radioactive sewer sludge from a place suffering from some kind of stomach pandemic.

I never thought I'd be saying this about a "Baldur's Gate" game (even if it is in name only) but stay away! Don't make the same mistake I did.

Take that $21.99 and spend it on your kids or something! Go eat out somewhere! Buy a DVD! Buy a CD! Go to a museum to see what those things are! Anything but this! Life is too short to let crap games, and worse companies, into it!
    Mods do a lot, but if they accounted for all play styles, then EET would've been developed to not require SoD to be installed
    The playing style to leave out SoD is already there. Transitions mod or EndlessBG1 provide an ingame, not 4th wall breaking possibility to skip the whole campaign, Transitions even give the possibility to start it and skip at any point. There is also a cheat you can use k4thos posted at some point that will do it.
    What you mix up is the expectation that someone, somewhere invests hours, weeks, if not months of modding to maintain two platforms and update all mods to account for it, too so you can spare 5,-€ to get SoD out of some idealistic "but I don't like it!!11"
    You mean "to hide HIM" because El was only changed temporarily. He was reverted to his true self later. Also, having such people in FR doesn't mean they have to be shoved in every campaign and game and pushed in people's faces. Better to reflect reality, where only a very small percentage of people (2-5%) are that way. Them not appearing in every piece of FR content doesn't mean they don't exist, it's just being faithful to real-life statistics.
    How many games feature "such people"? Certainly not every campaign or game, actually beside SoD none comes to my mind.
    Thoses 2-5% of people actually are far less represented in games, meaning than to reflect reality as you said, more LGBT characters should actually be put into games.
    Which brings me to another gripe with Beamdog's additions. All three of their new characters (Neera, Rasaad, and Dorn) are bi, but unless you deliberately go looking for people like that, the odds of encountering three of them at once are incredibly small. Making all 3 characters that way comes across as a cheap PR stunt. Bioware, at least, learned from Dragon Age II and didn't repeat that mistake with Inquisition, where only 1 or 2 party members weren't straight, which is more realistic. Representation is fine, but only if it's done organically and unobtrusively, like DA:O and DA:I did.
    Seriously, first try them before talking about Beamdog characters. Neera and Rasaad are STRAIGHT. Only Dorn is bi.
    And no, I'm not telling anyone what to do with their mods. I was simply sharing an opinion - that I think it would've been better if EET had been developed to not require SoD (it wasn't part of the original BG story anyway).
    SoD as the more recent game release adds many things on the technical side, components used by modders for technical resources.
    I'll close with this scathing review of SoD (which has mixed reviews) on Steam by DumbBeard:
    It's not a review, it's trolling.

If you don't want to paid some bucks to have the technical base needed by most mods, or try yourself SoD to make your own opinion about it, maybe the original edition with BGT would better fits you.
    edited March 2023
    jastey wrote: »
    Mods do a lot, but if they accounted for all play styles, then EET would've been developed to not require SoD to be installed
    The playing style to leave out SoD is already there. Transitions mod or EndlessBG1 provide an ingame, not 4th wall breaking possibility to skip the whole campaign, Transitions even give the possibility to start it and skip at any point. There is also a cheat you can use k4thos posted at some point that will do it.
    What you mix up is the expectation that someone, somewhere invests hours, weeks, if not months of modding to maintain two platforms and update all mods to account for it, too so you can spare 5,-€ to get SoD out of some idealistic "but I don't like it!!11"

SoD is $20, I just checked yesterday. It's not as cheap as you say it is. And the point is, even if you skip SoD using those methods, you still have to have it installed to do so. It's not necessary to maintain two platforms - just a single one that checks whether SoD is installed or not. Lots of other mods already do this. Why should EET be any different?
    How many games feature "such people"? Certainly not every campaign or game, actually beside SoD none comes to my mind.
    Thoses 2-5% of people actually are far less represented in games, meaning than to reflect reality as you said, more LGBT characters should actually be put into games.
    Seriously, first try them before talking about Beamdog characters. Neera and Rasaad are STRAIGHT. Only Dorn is bi.
    And no, I'm not telling anyone what to do with their mods. I was simply sharing an opinion - that I think it would've been better if EET had been developed to not require SoD (it wasn't part of the original BG story anyway).
    SoD as the more recent game release adds many things on the technical side, components used by modders for technical resources.
    It's not a review, it's trolling.

If you don't want to paid some bucks to have the technical base needed by most mods, or try yourself SoD to make your own opinion about it, maybe the original edition with BGT would better fits you.

I guess you haven't played the Dragon Age games, then. They're in there as well, but for the most part in a much better way. As for Neera and Rasaad, from what I've read, they can be romanced by either gender. Thus, not straight. About those technical resources, were any of them absolutely necessary to begin with? If SoD had never been made, could EET still have been developed? If yes, then those resources weren't strictly necessary. And I like the EE editions, so I don't want to use BGT.

As for your comment about the review, it's wrong. You provide no evidence, only an ad hominem attack. Therefore, your position on it is invalid. Disagreement is not trolling. Not liking something is not trolling. And the devs' own behavior both past and present condemns their work and proves that SoD is not a good product. Otherwise the devs would not be trying to stifle negative reviews and would never have hired a writer who cared so little for the source material. A writer who had nothing to do with the original story, which was already complete 15 years before SoD was made. Paying for SoD is condoning harassment of reviewers, stifling of criticism, lashing out at fans, lying to them, deliberately misrepresenting them, disrespecting the source material, etc. The modding community should've totally rejected SoD years ago.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Axwind
    To summarize your situation regarding SoD and EET, you have these main options:

-Don't play EET. Instead, play BG1EE then import your character/party into BG2EE.

-Play Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT), the pre-EE version of EET.

-Play EET but use a mod or some means to skip SoD.

-Play EET and play SoD between BG1EE and BG2EE.

Pick your preference. Enjoy!
    I guess you haven't played the Dragon Age games, then. They're in there as well, but for the most part in a much better way. As for Neera and Rasaad, from what I've read, they can be romanced by either gender. Thus, not straight.
    They CAN'T be romanced by either gender, they are straight.
    I don't know where you read information about them, but I suggest reading instead the wiki or having a little more faith in real players feedbacks.
    As for your comment about the review, it's wrong. You provide no evidence
    Exactly what this "review" did. No evidence, many wrong assertions, "ad hominem"attacks on Beamdog...
    Sorry But this piece of crap have been discussed long ago, and I don't see the point of taking time to do it again only for you, when it's obvious you have a strong bias against Beamdog .

• megrimlockmegrimlock Member Posts: 40
    Guys, stop feeding the Gamergate troll, seriously. His posts are obviously ignorant and in bad faith.
    You are right about not feeding the troll, but if I see someone who just assumes that it's not much work and simple and easy to support two different platforms (and yes, BG:EE with or without SoD is two different platforms) for such a project as EET I can't help myself but to try to argue against the ignorance.
    Just a note: it's also extra work for mods to support both, but we do it anyway. You're welcome.
  • megrimlockmegrimlock Member Posts: 40
    Believe me when I say jastey (and at the risk of sounding crawly), that the majority in this community appreciate the extra work you and the other leading modders put in!
    Thanks for the kind words!
    My last comment above was addressed at the OP who makes the mistake of not appreciating what is offered and instead complains about what is not.
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Axwind
    To summarize your situation regarding SoD and EET, you have these main options:

-Don't play EET. Instead, play BG1EE then import your character/party into BG2EE.

-Play Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT), the pre-EE version of EET.

-Play EET but use a mod or some means to skip SoD.

-Play EET and play SoD between BG1EE and BG2EE.

Pick your preference. Enjoy!

I think I'll go with the first option - BG:EE to BG2:EE. I've never played BG2 before, so I'm eager to get to it. It seems kind of pointless to me to get SoD (which I don't want) merely to skip it via mod only because that mod requires it.
    I guess you haven't played the Dragon Age games, then. They're in there as well, but for the most part in a much better way. As for Neera and Rasaad, from what I've read, they can be romanced by either gender. Thus, not straight.
    They CAN'T be romanced by either gender, they are straight.
    I don't know where you read information about them, but I suggest reading instead the wiki or having a little more faith in real players feedbacks.
    As for your comment about the review, it's wrong. You provide no evidence
    Exactly what this "review" did. No evidence, many wrong assertions, "ad hominem"attacks on Beamdog...
    Sorry But this piece of crap have been discussed long ago, and I don't see the point of taking time to do it again only for you, when it's obvious you have a strong bias against Beamdog .

About Rasaad and Neera, fair enough. I thought I read that all 3 had been made romanceable both ways, but maybe that was a mod that did that instead.

You provide no evidence that it's wrong. Simply saying it is doesn't make it so. You make a claim, you have to back it up. Otherwise it's invalid. So my point still stands. And it's far from the only negative review. There are plenty, many of which Julius B. has been trying to discredit by claiming they didn't play the game when he has to know that playtime is tracked in the main game, not the DLC. Which means he's being dishonest, and that reflects badly on SoD whether you like it or not. Quit being a corporate apologist. Until I see you say something critical about them and the games, that's what you are.
    jastey wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words!
    My last comment above was addressed at the OP who makes the mistake of not appreciating what is offered and instead complains about what is not.

I was merely asking a question in my original post. There was no need for anyone to condemn me for it. Plenty of mods check to see if certain games out of the EE series are installed or not and only install certain components if they are. Why should EET be any different in regards to SoD? And my question still hasn't been answered - could EET still have been developed if SoD had never been made? Yes or no? I'm not arguing, just trying to understand.
    megrimlock wrote: »
    Guys, stop feeding the Gamergate troll, seriously. His posts are obviously ignorant and in bad faith.

I don't have anything to do with Gamergate nor do I even fully know what that was all about, so don't lump me in with all that. I've heard a little about it, but that's all. And is it wrong to defend one's position? To ask questions? To provide a different point of view? Yes or no?
    could EET still have been developed if SoD had never been made?
    With the risk of feeding the troll(ing): Before the release, EET worked without it afaik. But it belongs to the EEs, so k4thos made clear it will be part as soon as it's released, so here we are.
    On a general note: If you really were "merely asking a question" you might want to reconsider the phrasings you do it with. There is a reason the whole thread is about other people telling you to notch down your claiming attitude. Sometimes, if the whole world seems to be against oneself, it might indeed be oneself.
    And please, stop judging the campaign by 7 year old ranting "reviews" and make up your own mind. While I am at it: with 5,-€ I was referring to SoD being on sale, not the regular price. It's on sale on regular basis.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The thread is closed now as the response to the question was given.
This discussion has been closed.