Skip to content

[MOD] Walahnan, the chronomancer NPC

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
edited July 2021 in BG:EE Mods
I am happy to announce my new NPC mod for BG1EE and SoD.

banerwalahnan.jpg

Class: Mage - Chronomancer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Stats:: 17 | 16 | 11 | 18 | 11 | 11

Walahnan is a powerful chronomancer and a man who suffers from germophobia. But worry not, he can prove to be more than useful. While his ambitions do not overwhelm those around, he certainly has some aspirations that inspire his studies.

The mod does not include a romance, however, you may get an option or two to show you like him. To join him, visit Ulgoth's Beard and accept to help him with his personal quest.

The mod also includes some content for Siege of Dragonspear.

DOWNLOAD LINK
FORUM

Enjoy! :)
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
AciferbonewhitegloryxiaoleiwennorQilduderinoThrasymachus

Comments

• norQnorQ Member Posts: 5
    First of all I'd like to thank you for all the effort you have put into creating the brand new NPC!

As far as Walahnan is concerned we receive an NPC far more complex than those offered by the original / EE version:

- more dialogues
    - more interactions / banters between the companions
    - a personal quest connected to Walahnan's predicament in Neverwinter
    - tons of pleasantly written texts
    - a bunch of new items
    - a whole new subclass to toy with

Great work, LDV! Keep it up, mate!
    bonewhitegloryThrasymachus
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Where is Walahnan in Ulgoth's Beard? I can't seem to find him...
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    Here:
    rafa6p3krohs.jpg
    Thrasymachus
    edited July 2021
    Hmm... He's not there in my game. I definitely have the mod installed as I have some "Slug's slime" in my pack that mentions Walahnan.

I'm in chapter five. Does he disappear before then?
    Post edited by Thrasymachus on
    I just loaded a game from chapter four and CLUAconsoled the party to Ulgoth's Beard. Walahnan is there.

So he has to be recruited before the end of chapter four?
    Fortunately I hadn't gotten too far into chapter 5 and had saved a game shortly before the end of chapter 4. So I reloaded it, left the Cloakwood mine, and picked up Walahnan.

He's an interesting companion so far with an intriguing class and unique spells. I found his dialogue about feeding his snail familiar quite amusing.

The voice acting is quite good (and familiar -- is it the same actor who voiced Ellianh in your "Skineater" mod for IWDEE?).

One suggestion: perhaps mention that parties should pick up Walahnan before chapter 5 in the mod description?
    Yeah, I forgot that, you need to pick him before that. He is supposed to find all the slugs and get those slime portions before Baldur's Gate.

Yep, it's the same voice actor! => @norQ

I'm glad you like him so far! I wanted him to be different to my latest NPCs because... well, I wrote some evil characters, or really unusual characters and this one is a bit more normal, without being boring! Well, I hope he is!
    Thrasymachus
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    Ooo this guy looks fun! I'll def try him out on my next playthrough!
    Thanks! Enjoy!
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    In a low spoiler fashion, why is this NPC no longer in Ulgoth's Beard come chapter 5?
    He came to Sword Coast with a quest. He won't wait for eternity + his quest happens in different areas before you get to Baldur's Gate so it's kinda late to do it after Cloakwood Mines.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited July 2021
    @LavaDelVortel There's one issue which affects this, Verr'Sza and probably your other NPC mods - your soundset setup is using the BG2 sound setup which differs from BGEE.

WeiDU uses the BG2 variables for setting the voices, but the slots SELECT_ACTION4-7 define are used for the fluff talk when you click on a character's portrait multiple times in BG1/BGEE. Prior to patch 2.6, BGEE CREs couldn't even have 7 action responses. EET uses BG2 setup though, so the slots work as you intended there, which means you need to specialcase those lines between the two platforms, like in https://github.com/Skitia/Helga-BG1/pull/2/files. I would file PRs, but you don't use GH.

Also for reference, every sound slot after BIO are constant as NearInfinity lists them in all games, so EET can also have those respond-to-multiple click responses if you specify them with hex offsets.
    @GraionDilach - hey! Thanks for noticing that. Yeah, I do not use GH. Do you have changed files you could send me so I could simply replace files (via PM)? :smile: I suppose it would be Walahnan, Verr'Sza, White, and Bristlelick. I've been away for a couple of days and I am kinda drowning because of all the posts, PMs, emails on several modding sites. That would be awesome and I hope that wouldn't feel overwhelming for you...
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    @LavaDelVortel Sure, I'll send the PMs during the week. My entire weekend was consisting of going through BGEE NPC mods and patching this left'n'right, so a few more don't add up.

I should write a tutorial of this somewhere anyway. Probably to G3.
    thanks! It also looks some IWD EE lines got changed, there are new slots like BGEE_IWDEE_ACTION5... Anyway, zip them and send them to me so I'll do my best to update those packages as soon as possible :)
    Thank you!
    Regarding:
    The mod also includes some content for Siege of Dragonspear.
    I take it that this means that Walahnan is available as a companion in SoD?
    If so, any hint as to his location?
    (I'm still in the city, but I don't want to miss him if I need to pick him before leaving!)
    He joins a bit later, right before you enter the enemy camp on the Boareskyr Bridge area.
    Thrasymachus
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Yeah, I forgot that, you need to pick him before that. He is supposed to find all the slugs and get those slime portions before Baldur's Gate.
    Might I suggest adding a Lord Foreshadow-type character up near the Friendly Arm Inn talking about "some weird wizard up in Ulgoth's Beard who wants to track down rare slugs of all things"?

edited August 2021
    Sorry, but I'm not going to add such thing. It's not like I want to point my finger and say "HEY, PLAYER! HERE - YOU NEED TO TALK TO THIS GUY. LIKE NOW." because... well, it can be pretty annoying. Just like writing too much stuff with a caps lock on :) And there's also readme and some hope that people know what they're installing.
    GraionDilach
    I recently finished BG + SoD with Wallahnan in the party. He was a very entertaining companion! Thanks again for creating this mod.

I was wondering if you had any plans eventually to add a BG2 component? Or is he happy just to get back to Neverwinter and have several baths? :)
    Thank you!
    There is a plan to bring him back, yes, but I have just an idea how I want to handle his story. So, it's not like bg2 portion is going to pop out of nowhere like some of my mods, but yes, I would like to get back to him at some point.
    Thrasymachusilduderino
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Is Wahalnan a continuous NPC for EET?

Thankee!
    In technical terms (BG2 Walahnan being exactly the same .cre, with changes in stats if those happened, et cetera) no. In terms of dialogue: you get a choice to say if you have met before (and set special variables that way) during the first talk.