Skip to content

[mod] Dvaradime NPC for BG2EE

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
Weasel Mods introduces a brand new companion mod for BG2EE: it's Dvaradime, the dwarven fighter/mage/thief.

dvaraicon.png

You may encounter the new companion right after you enter the Waukeen's Promenade (he's near the ruined house, northern-west of the Imoen abduction scene).

"When asked about his past, DVARADIME says he was born into the Rockneedle Clan of the Great Rift, but years later he moved to Amn. It was in Athkatla where he met Borcx, who would later become his husband. Like many gold dwarves, Dvaradime isn't as repelled by magic as mountain dwarves are, and while it didn't come easy, he managed to learn a few bits on his own. But darker times eventually came and forced the dwarf to look for his husband who went missing. That is how he met you."

The mod comes with a new quest that will force you to see some new little hideouts in Athkatla. Search the new areas and find out what happened with Dvaradime's husband: Borcx.

The mod does not include a romance path, it offers a friend instead.

DOWNLOAD
FORUM

Enjoy!

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Wow! A triple classed recruitable companion! Those have been rare!

Thankee!
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    Always happy to see a new mod from Lava DelVortel! :D

Does Dvaradime react to any of your other mods (e.g., the "Athkatlan Grounds" additions) or companions (e.g., Skie, Khalid, or Faldorn?). No worries either way, I'm just curious.

Thanks for more BG2EE material!
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Man i need to stop putting off replaying bg 2 so many mods to get to.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    Thanks! :)

As for the question above - Dvaradime reacts to Tangled Oak Isle and to Ooze's Lounge.

Cheers!
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    Why I has that strange feeling that Jesus is watching me typing this post? AH, no! It is only Dvaradime, ok. everything is cool now. All right now.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 178
    So I recently had another run through and picked up dvaradime.

The quest is quite fine - sad for dvaradime but better making the quest interesting.

For those who have problems finding the areas: look at the places close to the roads in the docks distract, you should see something unusual compared to the vanilla run (e. g. the mouse pointer will indicate something).

Does Dvaradime have banters with Korgan? For this run I did not (yet) recruit him, so I don't know.

As a tripler he may be an alternative to Aerie. Personally I prefer single classes or dual classes, except
    when one only needs some support spells (which is why I had Aerie; also as a backup healer). This run
    my main is a dual class though, first berserker, then cleric, so I can skip clerics for this run (and using
    that panain or what's her name spider druid; I like her more than Jaheira, the spider theme is so cool.)

Does Dvaradime have ToB content? Could tap into the undead theme or so, and extend it - undead keep
    on coming back, tormented souls and what not.
    He has ~2 banter with every BioWare/Beamdog companion, as well as ToB content.
    I ran into a slight but awkward bug.

I finished Dvaradime's quest, including that final fight in the secret place.

Then I dropped him for another NPC. When I go to Ribald, Ribald says:

"Dvaradime! I've been wondering" etc...

And then I can not interact with Ribald anymore. That means, I can not
    use his shop anymore because he has some interjection with
    Dvaradime, but Dvaradime is not in the party. Perhaps some other
    mod interferes, but since this reaction is specifically mentioning
    Dvaradime, I believe there may be a small bug.

I propose as a first small improvement to add a "is Dvaradime in
    the party or not" check. I don't know the DSL enough to understand
    how this can be done, but I assume other mods check for a NPC
    in the party, so this should be doable.

The other part ... I think this interjection should never ever
    interrupt the shop-interface, so perhaps whatever routine or
    token-step is called, can then proceed to the shop.

IF Ribald wants to drop some item or something then perhaps
    that can be added automatically, if Dvaradime is not there or
    something. Right now I don't know why Ribald wants to say
    this (it is also strange because the quest is already over, so
    perhaps an additional check "is Dvaradime's main quest
    already completed" should be added.)

Anyway, just reporting this here. I encounter all sorts of
    funny things - for instance the Dusk NPC, another mod,
    talking with Minsc about Boo, but Boo was currently
    kidnapped, yet Minsc talks as if Boo is still there. It seems
    as if many mods don't make many conditional checks,
    even though these should be fairly simple in a proper
    programming language. The DSL used by the engine is
    very weird, IMO.
    edited December 2023
    Anyone knows where Dvaradime is after you finish his quest? I encountered a bug with Ribald where he was responding as if Dvaradime is in my party (but he no longer is), and then the shop interface does not open up as it normally would when I talk with Ribald, so I want to see if this is resolved when I bring Dvaradime to Ribald (and I already dismissed Dvaradime to get another character in the party; I guess one may have to visit Ribald first, before dismissing Dvaradime, to finish that side check), but I can't remember where he may be; I don't even remember how I dismissed him and when. I searched in some pubs but he was nowhere to be found.
    IIRC, he stays where you left him.

It's a very long post, but I think it's quite clear that there is a check or two missing (one the checks if Dvara's in the party and if he's anywhere around when PC approaches Ribald).

It will be fixed later this week, probably. To fix it locally either re-join Dvara so he can have the chat with Ribald, or use this code:
    C:SetGlobal("L#DvaradimeWax","GLOBAL",1)
    This is just short info for Lava - as per today's release, see the announcement
    by Lava here: https://www.weaselmods.net/showthread.php?tid=1869 - I tested
    the fix, and it worked. I just walked to Ribald and the prior trigger no longer
    showed up, and I can access the shop just fine. (Weidu insisted on re-installing
    everything again, which in the past led to some issues, because I think some
    item mods are actually borked, as someone else pointed out in the forum here
    a few weeks ago or so, but so far I actually did not run into "Invalid entry 178178"
    stuff, and the add-on items such as the fancy wizard hat Edwin is wearing, together
    with his teddy bear from the dream mod from Lava, has not been encountered.
    Anyway this was just a quick comment to note that the fix does work - at the least
    Ribald is now showing his usual routine, e. g. 5 or 6 answers before one can then
    access his shop again.)
    So I played with Dvaradime this time rather than Jan. I also progressed
    his quest with his father appearance's. He is probably your best NPC
    or among the top three.

I think there is only one thing where a slight, indirect improvement could
    be made. Perhaps he could gain a unique item, a bit like the Amber NPC
    got some unique gear.

So, what item? I don't propose an overpowered item but instead something
    that is useful for him; and also, given that he waxes his beard, I guess
    he prefers stylish components.

So something like a cloak perhaps or some gold helmet or something. Could
    also be a weapon. It should be useful but not overpowered.

Perhaps an elegant cloak that only Dvaradime can wear; raises Charisma
    by +1 and movement rate by +1 too. May also increase AC by +1.

Or an item similar to the wax ... perhaps body lotion for one usage per
    day. :D

Could heal a bit of hp and also increase CH by +1 or so.

I kind of feel that Jan got the more interesting gear compared to Dvaradime
    right now, so if I would start a new run, I would probably go back to Jan
    again. (I put Dvaradime into a category with support-characters such as
    Jan or Aerie).

Or perhaps some axe. Or an axe that can be thrown and returns to
    Dvaradime. Or a snake companion.
    I won't be adding more stuff for him. He comes with his unique low-level armor, but may get a better one suitable for his needs during his quest (as well as for other multi-class characters), he has his personal minor item from Ribald (the wax) + the mod adds a special sword that gives bonuses when wielded by a triple class character (it may be forged after the Underdark, if you gathered both item parts). On top of that, he can create his own arrows. I believe that this is enough and I do not think I need to make someone "better than Jan". Jan's thing is that he has all these personal inventions, but that's not Dvaradime's role.
    This time I had Dvaradime accompany me straight to ToB. I think I may have found one oddity
    along the way, in that Dvaradime was suddenly talking about a secret cave. But he also mentioned
    Athkatla, I think, when I was already in Amkethran. So I believe I triggered content that was supposed
    to happen earlier, probably a bit after Dvaradime's father would show up (I think).

So this is not a bug - or at the least I don't think so - and more bad timing I suppose, in that the content
    probably should have triggered earlier, before ToB. I am also not sure whose fault it is; this may be my
    fault and perhaps some addon (I remember one addon specifically changes the delay time before
    what triggers sub-dialogs).

At any rate, if you ever get around to look at it, in particular that part in the cave or the build up towards
    it, could it perhaps be triggered before ToB? I am not sure at which stage, as I haven't proceeded before
    as much with Dvaradime, but perhaps the code can be tweaked a bit to make sure it triggers earlier.
    Otherwise one may leave out some content from Dvaradime.

(On an unrelated note, I realiased that Dvaradime also gets fighter specials on high levels, which makes
    him considerably stronger than Jan in regular melee. I gave Dvaradime the celestial fury katana, and while
    he hits less often and powerful compared to a pure fighter such as Korgan, it's still quite ok-ish for a
    support character. Only the longbow default two slots I may question in that I think the firebolt
    crossbow, whatever was the name, from Watcher's Keep, is actually better than most Longbows, or
    at the least easier to get early on, e. g. straight after Neera's keep I can buy it.)
    It's a standard ToB talk that happens in the river area, outside Saradush. I am unsure how carefully you read his dialogues because there are many talks about his decision to leave his clan's halls and move to Athkatla. The river area is one of the places he visited before on his tangled way to the City of Coin. And there is a new cave there, that is the purpose of this talk: so players could discover something new and investigate.

And there is a check for the talk to happen there, so if you had it somewhere else.
    IF
    InParty(Myself)
    CombatCounter(0)
    !See([ENEMY])
    See(Player1)
    AreaCheck("AR6400")
    !StateCheck("L#DVA",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    !StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    Global("L#DvaradimeToBRiver","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobalTimer("L#DvaradimeToBRiver","GLOBAL",12)
    SetGlobal("L#DvaradimeToBRiver","GLOBAL",1)
    END

IF
    InParty(Myself)
    CombatCounter(0)
    !See([ENEMY])
    See(Player1)
    AreaCheck("AR6400")
    !StateCheck("L#DVA",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    !StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    Global("L#DvaradimeToBRiver","GLOBAL",1)
    GlobalTimerExpired("L#DvaradimeToBRiver","GLOBAL")
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("L#DvaradimeToBRiver","GLOBAL",2)
    END

IF
    Global("L#DvaradimeToBRiver","GLOBAL",2)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
    END