Skip to content

Unfinished Business mods for any of the lost Enhanced Edition(s) content?

JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
Good day! I had been attempting to work through a complete Baldur's Gate saga playthrough of the Enhanced Editions. For this first attempt, I wasn't looking to add any extra content, but I would like to add the Unfinished Business mods, at least, for my next playthrough. I'm curious, though, if any of them have restored any of the lost "Enhanced" content.

My own digging here is quite limited, but I had been mostly curious about the lost "Edwin Returns" content. I had read somewhere that this was part of the very original Baldur's Gate content, but it had been completely removed by the time Tales of the Sword Coast was added. My GOG version has TotSC added, of course, so I wasn't able to find anything with my own searching there with NearInfinity.

Per Hopper at the Steam forums:

Hopper Oct 6 @ 8:55am

It's disabled. You can enable it easy enough using NearInfinity, but it's kinda buggy.

Edwin and the four Red Wizards from Spider Wood ambush you from all sides. Edwin is supposed to insult you and turn hostile, but he doesn't say the correct dialog, he just remains neutral and acts like you just booted him from your party. You can even rehire him on the spot and use him to kill the other Red Wizards...

If it was working, the requirements would be...

-Kick Edwin when you find Dynaheir.

-Wait 10 days.

-Be level 4+

-Don't kill the Red Wizards in Spider Wood.

If you want to look at the ambush, you need to open the random encounter BCS files and find and remove the False() line from each file. You can find the correct files with NearInfinity by using Search > Text Search > BCS and look for EdwinReturn.

From my limited testing, Hopper's information here seems to be correct. I was never able to get Edwin's Return to trigger in the Enhanced Edition playthrough that met all of these qualifications, but I didn't go through the extra steps of editing each BCS file. I had rather hoped that the Unfinished Business mods had also restored lost "Enhanced" content, but I'm not seeing any of it mentioned there.

Are there any Unfinished Business mods that *do* restore the lost content specific to the Enhanced Editions (SoD included)?

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    I wouldn't know of any.
    Also, I'm hearing about an "Edwin returns" cut content the first time. I think it's very intriguing, because the Edwin/Dynaheir dispute always felt unfinished in my opinion.

If anyone wants to do an "SodUB" mod, there is also cut content regarding the thieves' guild in the Big Colaition camp. It seems it was originally planned a lot more content, including a corrupt Waterdhavian officer behind it. - My wild guess is that one reason it got cut was because the whole camp can be over too soon if the player does the two requested quests quickly.

If any one is interested, these are the dialog.tlk lines I identified could belong to the cut content. The numbers are string-ref numbers; new lines without a number means the lines are next in numbering.
    Word to the wise, friend. There are eyes upon you. We'll expect preliminary payment in the next tenday. 5,000 gold pieces. Don't be short.

What do you mean? Who are you?

Preliminary payment for what?

You'll be short a head if you try to take my gold. What's this all about?

You know. Your reputation preceeds you, after all.
    What reputation?

Speak plainly. Who do you represent?

Anyone who tries to take my money is going to suffer for it.

Ask your friend Safana. She know how this works.

Safana, what's going on here?
    What reputation?

Speak plainly. Who do you represent?

If you think I'll hand my gold over willingly, you're the one who needs to learn how things work.
    Someone's trying to organize a thieves' guild.

You mean thieves.

The first payment expected is 5,000 gold pieces. Don't be short.
    Wait, I have questions.

Tell your masters they're not getting a single copper piece from me.

If I ever see you again, you're dead.
    5,000 gold. We'll be in touch.
    (maybe BDWAIZAH.dlg?)
    Greetings, my <PRO_LADYLORD>. In the market for a new weapon? Or perhaps a potion?
    Let me see what you have.

I'm in the market for something out of the ordinary.
    48796 -> is same as 51122 and used in BDWAIZAH
    I heard you were a fence for the thieves' guild here.
    48797 -> is same as 51123 and used in BDWAIZAH
    Have you heard about the sickness going around camp? I have a cure for it and I'm looking for a buyer.

I think you'll be happy with my selection.
    What did you have in mind?
    Let's just say I have something unique I picked up on my travels. Something a powerful individual would be interested in. Know anyone like that?

Nothing, I misspoke. Can you show me your regular goods?
    48802 -> used in BDWAIZAH.dlg
    I should be able to set something up. Come to the camp's northern edge. I'll have someone there to meet with you.

No more! I surrender!
    Why should I spare your life?

Tell me who's organized all the thieves in camp.

Too little, too late. Die!

No!
    They forced me to join! I didn't want to! I can tell you who's in charge—please, don't kill me!

Tell me what I would know and I promise you will live.

Your life is in your own hands now. Tell me what I want to know and you might walk away from this. Or limp away from it, at least.

I make no promises. Give me the name or your death is assured.

I will, but you have to promise not to kill me!

I promise to let you live.
    If your information is good, I'll probably let you live.

I make no promises. Tell me or die for certain.

It's one of de Lancie's men, Gramorn! He's been secretly gathering all the thieves under his command.

Why is he doing this?

Why? What's Gramorn's plan?

Where can I find Gramorn?

Now to deal with you.
    I don't know for sure. I'm new and he hasn't told me anything.

He's taking fifty percent of what he expects thieves in camp to make, whether they actually steal that much or not. And he's collecting secrets.

He's usually with the troops from Waterdeep. De Lancie could catch him easily, I bet.

Wh-what are you going to do to me?

Execute you, for your crimes against this camp and my own person.

I should cut you down where you stand, but I'll not waste the energy. The guards can have you.

But you promised to let me live!

I lied.

All right. The guards can have you. Other matters need my attention now, anyway.
    Thank you. Thank you!
    What do you want?

You are Gramorn, are you not? I've heard you're behind the camp's burgeoning thieves' guild.

That depends entirely on who you are.

I'd like more information on the camp, if you're of a mind to give it.

Nothing right now.
    Aumarr Reinss Gramorn, of Waterdeep. I answer to Torsin de Lancie.

I've heard that you're the man behind the thieves' guild in camp.

Aumarr? Torsin?

Tell me what's going on with the camp, Aumarr.

I need to be going.
    Titles for the city guard of Waterdeep. You can think of de Lancie as a colonel and me as a captain.

Is it true you're behind the thieves' guild in camp? I heard someone say that.

A captain, eh? Can you tell me how our effort against Caelar is progressing?

Interesting. I think I'll be moving along now.
    Detachments from Waterdeep's city guard, the Flaming Fist, and Daggerford's militia have laid a perimeter around Dragonspear Castle. We're in decent shape, especially now that reinforcements from Baldur's Gate have arrived.

I've heard you're behind the camp's thieves' guild.

Remind me again who you are...?

Good to know. I'll leave you to your duties.

On your way, then.

You've heard wrong.
    I don't think so. Cut me in on your take or I'll go straight to de Lancie with what I know.

I know the truth. Surrender, now.

Ah. Forgive me, then. I'll leave you to your duties.

Well, well. You're an opportunistic little rodent, aren't you? How much do you want?

500 gold will do to start.
    1,000 gold and not a copper less.

This farce is at an end, Gramorn. Surrender.

I'll pay you, because you're more valuable to me alive than dead. Someone with your qualities will make a good addition to the team.

I'm not part of your team.

I might be interested in working with you.

You presume too much, Gramorn. I work alone.

We'll see. Luck to you.

You had a chance, <CHARNAME>, but then you got greedy. I'll take my chances with de Lancie.

Drop your weapons, then.

You'll take your chances with me, dead man.

Or what? You'll kill me?

I'm an aumarr in the Waterdeep City Guard. You even look at me sideways and every Waterdhavian soldier in this camp will be upon you.

I'll explain after you're dead.
    I might not be able to take you out now, but watch yourself. I know where you sleep.

You'll be on the ground in a pool of blood before you can shout a single word. Face it. You can't touch me here.

I might not be able to take you out now, but watch yourself. I know where you sleep.

You've ruined my plans! Now die!

Time to pay up. 5,000 gold. Hand it over.

What am I supposed to be paying for, exactly?
    Here's an idea: Why don't I not give you 5,000 gold pieces, and you run away from here as fast as your legs can carry you?

Come and take it, if you think you're able.

It's the price of doing business in camp. Are you going to pay up or is this going to get ugly?

I don't plan on doing any "business" in camp. I'm not interested in joining your guild.

How about you hand over YOUR money?
    If I had a hundred times that much gold, I still wouldn't give you a single coin.

It may surprise you to learn that I don't care. If you won't give me the gold, I guess I'll just have to take it.

How about I break your legs and then just take the cadre's due? Yeah, let's try that instead.
    If you won't give me the payment, I'll just have to take it.

(maybe BDSTONEH.dlg?)
    That's disappointing, if not surprising. Perhaps killing the thieves will have sent a message to their leader. Let us hope.

Let me know the minute you learn anything.

The look of utter terror on their leader's face as she faced me is one I'm well used to.

Nederlok needs to know about this. All the commanders do.

(in De Lancie?)
    Perhaps. What would you have me do?
    If you make it worth my time.
    Solve your own problems, de Lancie.

Very well.

What do I get out of the deal?
    I'm not your lackey. Deal with Gramorn yourself.

50915 - not used but samae as 50918 in BDSTONEH.dlg
    You're not half bad, you know that? I'll admit the militia can use every coin we can hoard. Daggerford hasn't got the coffers to match Waterdeep's. Here you are, hero. Now get moving, we've got a war to win!
    The other commanders need to know what happened. Gramorn's followers could have extorted their troops.
    I'll keep silent. And Gramorn won't be in a position to talk with anyone shortly.

Agreed. I'll return when Gramorn is dead
    No promises. We can revisit the matter after I've dealt with Gramorn.
    I'm not an assassin. Gramorn's your problem; I suggest you handle it, and quickly.
    Get to it, then. Here's what I promised you for rooting the conspiracy out. I'll await your return here.
    50923 -> 50924 used in in BDSTONEH.dlg
    Ha! I like your spirit. Here you are, hero, 500 gold. Now get moving, we've got a war to win!

As you wish. Here's what you were promised for rooting out the thieves' guild. I'll await your return here.

Hurry, then. We can't let Gramorn get away.
    Good. Reinss was a friend once. He turned his back on that when he betrayed Waterdeep.

He made his choice. Justice has been served.

Tell it to your biographer. I just want to get paid.
    He tried to put up a fight. It was his last mistake.

Here's a reward for dealing with Gramorn. I need to attend to more important matters now. We'll speak later.
    There's something we need to talk about. I paid you a tidy sum to keep this matter quiet, but I understand you revealed all to another commander.
    What happened was too important. I couldn't leave an ally in the dark.

You paid a tidy sum, it's true—but the one they offered was tidier still.

You don't control me, with money or otherwise. I changed my mind, simple as that.
    Damn it! I should know better than to trust the "hero" of that gods damned pirate den you call a city. I'll be keeping the reward I offered for killing Gramorn. You're not the only one who can break their word.

I knew had to come to you right away with this information, sir.

Does de Lancie know about this?
    Yes. The matter is being handled.

Yes, but you may want to talk to your people. It's possible Gramorn threatened or coerced them.
    He does. And he'd rather you NOT know about it.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll make some quiet inquiries to ensure our forces haven't been compromised.
    De Lancie WOULD be more concerned for his reputation than the camp. Here, take this along with my thanks for bringing the matter to my attention.
    50944 - 50949 -> used in BDSTONEH.dlg

(maybe in BDWAIZAH.dlg?)
    There're few things I like better than a good secret. Where is Gramorn now?

What exactly is Gramorn up to?

I gather Gramorn's not doing this out of the goodness of his heart. What does he get from this arrangement?

(maybe in BDSTONEH.dlg?)
    Still here? Was I not clear? Your presence here is a disruption we can ill afford. Make yourself useful and go take care of the caverns beneath Dragonspear.

I was able to interrogate a member of the camp's would-be thieves' guild. He claimed Reiss Gramorn was behind it all.

I killed several members of the camp's would-be thieves' guild. Unfortunately, I didn't learn their leader's name.

I plan to. But before I do, I would know everything there is to know about Caelar.
    "If"? With all due respect, sir, they have a right to know what's happened here.

I tracked Gramorn to Dragonspear Castle. You need concern yourself with him no longer.

The job's done, as you requested.

I plan to. But before I do, I would know everything there is to know about Caelar.
    I thought you should know that Aumarr Gramorn has been running a thieves' guild operation in camp.
    58672-still in BDSTONEH.dlg

60237-used in BDSTONEH.dlg
    I thought I'd report back to you first. I've dealt with that thieves' guild.

60365 used in bdauziel.dlg
    By the way, I'm supposed to tell you that Rhynwis sent men from her little thieves' guild to help me out. Guess you put the fear of the gods into her. They're here and ready for stabbin'. Now let's do this!

Den of Thieves

I should report back to General Stonehand.

I confronted the leader of the thieves' guild, a woman named Rhynwis. She caved quickly enough under my threats and agreed to help the camp when the time comes. I should report back to General Stonehand.

(used in bdrumor3.dlg)
    Officially, there's no thieves' guild in Waterdeep. That may be true, I don't know, I don't live in Waterdeep. But someone's working to put one together in camp, I can tell you that much.

(used in bdrumor3.dlg)
    Den of Thieves

I've heard rumors that a thieves' guild is starting up in camp. This could undermine the strength of our troops.

I hear the Shadow Thieves find themselves facing a little competition. Don't know who's got the steel to challenge 'em, but someone is, so I'm told.